Hybrid Question

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to D&D, I've played a few campaigns and have created a few characters. But I don't get one thing and that's how to build a hybrid character. Are there specific rules to follow when building one? If so, what are they?

I have done a bit of reading on the subject, but still don't fully grasp on how to go about building one properly.

Lets say I want to create an Avenger/Assassin or a Paladin/Battlemind, etc. Do I choose powers as normal, but from each class? Or when I level up, do I have to choose from one specific set?

If anyone could lay it out, in plain and simple terms. I would really appreciate it.

I would just like to learn everything about a game that I'm very passionate about.
Pick up the PHB3.  That has the hybrid class rules. 

There are specific rules for each class that can hybrid. 

I would suggest though, that you do not hybrid until you are very familiar with the game and the rules because there are lots of things that are different between hybrids and regular classes.

Learn the game, enjoy the game.  But do not hybrid yet.  It can make you frustrated if you do not understand the system that hybrids use. 
I have a handbook in my sig about how to do various things. I highly recommend having a ddi subscription to do all the work for you in terms of character building(plus the ability to look up every single power you might want to use)
Hybriding is a pretty terrible idea for an inexperienced player. The first thing to remember in hybriding is stat spread. Unless going with "lazy" on one side you'll want your attack stat(s) high and how that will have an effect on the rest of your character. For example, a Sorcerer|Avenger is a really bad idea in part because it has two different attack stats, WIS/CHA both are WILL stats and there's no fix for Armore Class either while a Sorcerer|Barbarian can work because STR/CHA with Sorcerer can give you an AC fix w/ Strength applied to AC vs. DEX. But you still need to deal with the needing both a Weapon and Imp. The list goes on. This is why experience/familiarity helps a lot.
Depends on the hybrid. A melee Ranger|Cleric is easier to play than a melee Ranger as an example.
True, but without understanding the game and interactions it's still hard to understand what to build, let alone how to build it. If one is looking for a leader|striker, for example, if I'm a newbie and I think "hey, Clerics have been around forever and I like blasting stuff so how about Sorcerer with that?"A Cleric|Sorcerer isn't likely to hold up its striker end very well if one tries to build it as a ranged character (CHA/WIS) but can work as a STR/CHA melee/ranged build just fine.
You could - you still build it as a flame spiral build but have decent AC, due to BCL. 

Str-Cha Sorc|Cleric could actually work out just fine. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
True, but without understanding the game and interactions it's still hard to understand what to build, let alone how to build it. If one is looking for a leader|striker, for example, if I'm a newbie and I think "hey, Clerics have been around forever and I like blasting stuff so how about Sorcerer with that?"A Cleric|Sorcerer isn't likely to hold up its striker end very well if one tries to build it as a ranged character (CHA/WIS) but can work as a STR/CHA melee/ranged build just fine.

A lot of options in (basic) hybrids really boil down to the following:
Do you have post-racial of at least 18 in both primary attack stats? If yes, continue.
Are these primary attack stats in the same defense? i.e. Str/Con, Int/Dex, Wis/Cha? If no, continue.
Do you have a way of making all your class features work? i.e. Fighter and the need to consistently mark.
Do you have a strong secondary stat and does it have an 18 in it? i.e. Sorcerer, Artificer, and Monk
Do you have at least an AC of 16 if you're not a Defender hybrid at 1st level or an AC of 18 if you are at 1st level?

Solve those 5 problems and you really should find your hybrid at approximately the same level as the rest of your builds, however good they might be. This is not to say these are the only possible hybrids - just they shouldn't be too hard to make work.
Str/Cha Sorc|Cleric can actually be a total powerhouse in heroic. BCL, Hybrid Talent for Dragonsorc, carry a bloodfury scythe and Flame Spiral using an Emblem of Dol Dorn. Ridiculous AC and very respectable nova damage, especially if you action point Flame Spiral into Blade Barrier.
STR/CHA, yes (as I said) but WIS/CHA (if thinking to go fully ranged caster) would be a disaster.
STR/CHA, yes (as I said) but WIS/CHA (if thinking to go fully ranged caster) would be a disaster.

You mean beyond having 2 high stats for the same NAD?

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to D&D, I've played a few campaigns and have created a few characters. But I don't get one thing and that's how to build a hybrid character. Are there specific rules to follow when building one? If so, what are they?

In case you haven't used it yet, here's the character builder. It will walk you through the process by only giving you legal choices as you level up.

In basic terms, you get some of the features of each class and are required to have at least one of each type of power from each class (so one at-will, encounter, utility, and daily from each class).

You mean beyond having 2 high stats for the same NAD?

Yes, well beyond that. Dumping the sorc's damage stat is pretty build-fatal to a functional striker.
Hello everyone.

In case you haven't used it yet, here's the character builder. It will walk you through the process by only giving you legal choices as you level up.

In basic terms, you get some of the features of each class and are required to have at least one of each type of power from each class (so one at-will, encounter, utility, and daily from each class).

That character builder has so many flaws, its unreal. I would much rather use my books. I have quite the collection of them.
it has many flaws, but it (usually) correctly handles hybrids, which is more than we can say for most people new to d&d.

hybrids are easy to build, once you know the rules involved, but it's not easy to build a good hybrid. building a hybrid without knowing exactly what you're gaining from the hybrid combination is the easiest way to gimp your character in 4e. 

Suit yourself. I guess you should read your book collection to figure it out then.
it has many flaws, but it (usually) correctly handles hybrids, which is more than we can say for most people new to d&d.

hybrids are easy to build, once you know the rules involved, but it's not easy to build a good hybrid. building a hybrid without knowing exactly what you're gaining from the hybrid combination is the easiest way to gimp your character in 4e. 

+1. About the only big flaw is that it offers a 3rd level psionic at-will choice when it shouldn't with psionic/non-psionic hybrids.