A revised Character Sheet

Update 5+6
Many, many changes!!

• Moved almost everything around on p1, apart from top third

• The Skill Die lineart was too bulky so it had to go! *sniff*

• Reworked the spell tracker a little

• Gave up trying to split Racial/Background traits, Class Features & Feats, so now they're all back together in a happy family. There's now 39 lines for people to write things down. This is ofc still less than the original 54, but look at the (reworked again) Ability Description/Tracker and you'll find plenty of space to write things down there.

• Increased the line spacing in Ability Descr/Tracker. Also moved the Use/day, I'm unsure whether that should remain underneath or be on the left side, since that right area will see a lot of erasing.

Update 4
Lots of changes!!

• Corrected mistaken assumption regarding skill die being tied to the individual skill

• Lots of shadings, let me know if you like the greys or you want it strict b/w!!

• Moved skills/abilities around since I felt like some space for Class Features/Feats/Background/Racial traits was needed

• Increased the line spacing so you now don't need to write like an ant to have room (except for Lore skill, sigh)

• Added Skill Die field (Long live my lineart skillz!)

Update 3

• Made a block in the upper left side with AC/Ini/HP/Atk Bonus/Spellcasting Bonus/Move Spd/ Lvl/HD Spent - Basically most of the most used basic stats that you want to use in combat, all at the edge for easy erasing and rewriting.

• Moved Descriptions & Attributes and merged them to one.

• Moved Attacks down to the middle section, to give it more room and to make space for the needed changes at the upper level.

• Merged Class Features/Racial/Background Traits/Feats to one section covering leftmost 2/3rds of the middle of P1

• Added Skill Die in the skills listing

• Added one more ability tracker in the Spell Tracker section, because some classes get two things (Druids who choose Circle of the Oak) for easy tracking (Draw a line from one of the 3 abilities to the tracker and use this for tracking that ability!)

Update 2
Again so many helpful suggestions here and from other places.
I've re-formatted the much needed "Attack"-block and I've upped the fontsizes here and there for those without 1200dpi printers.
On the Spell List I've fitted in Paladin Spells on the Cleric Spellpage and Ranger Spells on the Druid Spellpage so it's now only 3 pages and lots of functionality.

Update 1

Thanks to helpful suggestions, I've added in some spell lvl boxes that you can tick off per lvl and a general purpose Ability Tracking section for those "hard-to-pin-down-exactly-without-making-a-class-specific-char-sheet" abilities.

I have also added a "HD spent at short rest"-tickbox next to the HP box so it's convinient to use and easy to track.

On a more cosmetic note, I'm now using the same font all through for a more uniform look  /cheer

Original Post
So I looked at the current Character Sheet and I liked the overall look, but I thought it was missing some functionality.

Since everyone can actually use all skills (except Lore) it would be handy to have them all listed, alongside their respetice stats and a decent way to note down Advantage and Skill Focus alongside various racial/class/spec bonuses.

I moved Initiative over to the top left, since it's one of important stats. The HP field also got a workover.

I'd like to note that I'm not entirely satisfied with the Attacks-section as it is and I will release a new version once I figure out a better way to represent all the various possibilities there.

On Page 2, I mainly added a weight field for the various inventory listings and shrunk Playtest Notes to make room for a valuables field. I considered writing down PP, EP, GP, SP & CP, but I know a lot of people use their own names for coinage and sometimes you just need to write down that 12lbs chunk of jade or those 5 star rubies.

Character Sheet v1.6 : docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVQklP...

Spell List v1.1 : docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVX3FF...

Feel free to comment, suggest changes, point out mistakes and say whatever you want to say about it.

Old versions :
Character Sheet v1.00 - docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVNnll...
Character Sheet v1.1 : 
docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVNzRU...
Character Sheet v1.2 : docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVU2hi...
Character Sheet v1.3 : 
docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVUWxk...
Character Sheet v1.4 : 
docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVTHkw...
Spell List v1.0 : 
docs.google.com/file/d/0B1h93rzjdElVWi1k...

You may want to check out this thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I like the changes you've made, but I have yet to see a character sheet that gives players places to record their type of skill dice, number of experience dice, spent experience dice, spent hit dice, spent spell slots and channel divinity, etc. Those would be very helpful to have a checkbox to keep track of.

You may want to check out this thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I like the changes you've made, but I have yet to see a character sheet that gives players places to record their spent skill dice, spent experience dice, spent hit dice, spent spell slots and channel divinity, etc. Those would be very helpful to have a checkbox to keep track of.

Thanks for the praise!
I was actually not aware of the contest before I made this, but since I'm not a US/Canadian resident, I couldn't really enter anyways.

You don't really use skill dice per se, they're a function of you levelling up and you either gain more skills or up that d6 to a d8 or further.

Re : Hit Dice/Exp Dice/Spent Spell slots/Channel Divinity (I'll throw Rage/Wild Shape/Ki Use/Ace In The Hole/Arcane Recovery in aswell).

I think I'll convert a section of the sheet and make it about things with X/day, must short rest before using again and cooldowns like it.
I will re-shape the spell section, np.
You don't really use skill dice per se

Oops, I didn't mean to put the word "spent" in front of skill dice. I just meant a place to record how many you currently have. Fixed in my original post.

Okies, I've updated the Character Sheet and added in a Spell List so those poor casters can save their pencils and just mark learned/prepped/domain spells.

Original Post is updated with new links
Nice. This is one of the better fan made character sheets I've seen.
Thank you! I won't try to pretend that I've done a lot of original stuff here, mostly it's a matter of taking apart the building blocks of the Charsheet that came with the packet, but I think this ensures a nice, somewhat conformist look, right up the alley from the original. I don't want to make supercustom charsheets where custom art takes over the focus, sometimes at the expense of functionality I simply also cba to update 11 different charsheets should some mechanics change around, this being "beta" and all My only gripe with my char sheet, as I see it atm, is the 4 spellslot "blocks" where I've had to make a 3+1 structure instead of a straigt 4wide block, but having printed it out it was simply too small to erase individually, in a proper fashion.

If anyone else has some comments, critique or anything, pls feel free! 
the Character Sheet looks very pretty, but when you print this, a lot of places have small letter than you need a lend for see that is wtiten. I think in the second page there are a lot of space in white that can be reduced and put thongs that ate un the first page or in the skill therer are a great space  to the name to the patch .
Hope it's not poor taste to comment.  I like it, but I find that the top right corner (Attacks) is always too small.  If I'm a fighter, I want more lines, if I'm a caster, I do as well.

I used a quick cut n paste in Photoshop to repeat the weapon lines 8 times:

weapon/spell                    atk    dmg
___________________ (___) (____)

Now I have 8 universal lines.

For spells I do this (as example):

Ray of Frost          (DEX)(1d8)

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Hope it's not poor taste to comment.  I like it, but I find that the top right corner (Attacks) is always too small.  If I'm a fighter, I want more lines, if I'm a caster, I do as well.

I used a quick cut n paste in Photoshop to repeat the weapon lines 8 times:

weapon/spell                    atk    dmg

Now I have 8 universal lines.

For spells I do this (as example):

Ray of Frost          (DEX)(1d8)

Hey Phobos! It's NOT poor taste to comment, I in fact welcome the critique and as long as it's somewhat coherent, I'll take it to heart.

I completely understand and as I noted in the first post, I have been meaning to do something about that "Attack" block, I just haven't had any terribly bright ideas myself. I will try yours out for size and see how it goes!

The Character Sheet looks very pretty, but when you print this, a lot of places have small letter than you need a lend for see that is wtiten. I think in the second page there are a lot of space in white that can be reduced and put thongs that ate un the first page or in the skill therer are a great space to the name to the patch .

Thanks, Morgan! I also thought about it. I have a 1200dpi printer and I can juust about make it readable, but if you don't print it at 1200dpi, I can see that it would be hard.
I shall try and remedy this in this makeover aswell!
Update 2
Again so many helpful suggestions here and from other places.
I've re-formatted the much needed "Attack"-block and I've upped the fontsizes here and there for those without 1200dpi printers.
On the Spell List I've fitted in Paladin Spells on the Cleric Spellpage and Ranger Spells on the Druid Spellpage so it's now only 3 pages and lots of functionality.
I have to say, I like it more and more with each update.
I am considering collapsing Class Features, Racial Traits & Feats into one big pile and abscond with the right third of the mid section for nefarious purposes (Attack Block!) and then putting something worthwhile and relevant in the rightmost quarter of the upper section. Maybe getting the XP & Level section joined up again with a dash of smattering of Initiative and something special?
Okies, Update 3 is done.
I've moved at lot of shizzle and reformatted a lot of big things on first page. Pls let me know what you think!
I've made a mistake on all the char sheets I've made up until and including 1.3 (regarding skills and having 1 common skill die, instead of individual skills having individual skill dies which is what I thought.. and it's wrong! [] )

I'll be issuing a fix soonish
I don't really have any specific feedback to give you, other than that I like what I see and will be using this sheet!  Keep up the good work!
I don't really have any specific feedback to give you, other than that I like what I see and will be using this sheet!  Keep up the good work!

Thanks alot!! Be sure to use this new one, as it's more handy in tracking the skill die correctly! Update 4, v1.4 Char sheet is up and running - Read the change notes in the first post!!
Few comments on the current sheet.  Again, I like it and some of my players moved to it a verson or two back.

I'd prefer a less (I don't know what word to use) image for skill die, infact just a simple checkbox

[ ] 1d6
[ ] 1d8
[ ] 1d10
[ ] 1d12

or honestly just a single box to write in the current value   

Skill Die
[        ]

I also do not think most of us will ever see all those skills, you could probably put in 8 blank lines and be done with it, gaving yourself more room for the spell details.

name                                          stat    bonus    adv    focus
________________________ _____ ______    [  ]      [  ]

We have not been using skills by name.  As a DM I do not ask for a Spot check, I ask the characters (all characters) to make a Wisdom roll to "notice a strange sound in the distance".  I let them decide if they have a skill that can influence the roll.

EDIT: LOL, I said spot then gave a Listen example, duh! 

The only thing else is it appears you made wider lines, and while good, it means less space.  A lot less for Feats.  Maybe it's just us, but our players do not reference books during the game, so the area needs enough space to write out the name and enough details to use it.

Here is an example of how one of our players uses it, using the original sheet:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33308208/Tra...

EDIT: My browser is hit or miss on showing the PDF, but if I tell it to open in Adobe Reader, the details are there.  Sorry, not sure why.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Phobos - Thanks for the feedback!

I've thought a lot about the skill section, but in the end it boils down to whether you're calling the skills by name or, as your group does, calling out stat checks.
I'd rather have a fixed version of the skills where the stats are readily apparent at all times then make room for 8 skills that the players write in themselves.

Regarding space to write down things :
In v1.3, you had 2x19 = 38 very small lines. v1.4 you have 2x11 + 7 = 29 lines in total. In a proposed 1.5 draft I'm working on atm, there will be 34 lines.

Re : Skill Die section - I just had to flash my lineart skillz, hehe. it takes up too much prime real estate, true.

As to how your player filled out the "vanilla" Charsheet - there's been a lot of changes since then. I think there would be space for him to write it out on the 1.4 sheet in freehand.
Obviously, if you can put in text on the pdf-file and have it printed, you can write it a lot tigther and make it take up less than writing it in yourself.

I am trying to find a proper way of dealing with attacks and fitting it all in
Update 5+6
Many, many changes!!
Moved almost everything around on p1, apart from top third
The Skill Die lineart was too bulky so it had to go! *sniff*
Reworked the spell tracker a little
Gave up trying to split Racial/Background traits, Class Features & Feats, so now they're all back together in a happy family. There's now 39 lines for people to write things down. This is ofc still less than the original 54, but look at the (reworked again) Ability Description/Tracker and you'll find plenty of space to write things down there.
Increased the line spacing in Ability Descr/Tracker. Also moved the Use/day, I'm unsure whether that should remain underneath or be on the left side, since that right area will see a lot of erasing.
I truly am enjoying how your design is evolving.  I have started using your sheet and I like how elegant it feels.

I have one suggestion for the skill section.  I always find I have trouble pinpointing what skill I need quickly on most character sheets, and I find that it is because they are arranged purely alphabetically.  Take Conceal an Object for example, I usually think of this as pickpocketing (or swiping something and palming it, or some other quick hand movement) so I look for "Pickpocketing" on the list.  When I can't immediately find it I go through the list one item at a time until I find the first relevant skill that is related to whatever my character is trying to do.   I thought it would make things easier if the skills were arranged based on their relevant modifiers.  For example . . .

Have skill      Skill Name       Stat  Misc. Bonus Adv. 10+
             |Break an Object| Str |               |       |     |
             |Climb                  | Str |               |       |     |
             |Jump                   | Str |                |       |     |

|Swim                   | Str |                |       |     |
             |Balance              |Dex|                |       |    
|

and so on . . .

With this format you can check the skills quickly based on what general ability your action is based on.  With the "Pickpocket" example, I know this is a task that requires dexterity so I look into the dex section and only have to skim through 6 skills to find the relevant bonus.

Another thought would be to make more distinct sections . . .

Strength
 Have skill      Skill Name      Misc. Bonus Adv. 10+
             |Break an Object|                |       |     |
             |Climb                  |                |       |     |
             |Jump                   |                |       |     |

|Swim                   |                |       |     |
             |                           |                |       |     |

Dexterity
             |Balance             |                |       |     |

etc.   You could even add a blank entry for each section in case someone wants to put a unique skill for each modifier.  The only problem I see with this example is that it would take up at least an additional 5 lines, and probably more depending on the format and whatnot.  Anyway, thought I would share my thought with you.
Another, simpler suggestion I have is to include a spot in the spell section that specifies what your class casts with.  (Intelligence for Wizards, Charisma for Paladins, Wisdom for Clerics, etc.)  Maybe in front of your clipart dragon above the Save DC.
Gthattman :
Thanks for your kind words! I'm really glad that you're using the character sheet!

Re. Skills : Sorting by stat mod is also a way to do it, but I prefer keeping the skill list alphabetical to skill name.
I've also chosen to write all the skills out instead of 10 blank lines to fill in, as that would probably take up just as much sheet real-estate and the master skill list is nice to have for reference purposes.

With regards to the spell section : People who play casters should know what stat they're using! I've deliberately chosen not to do a lot of explanations on the sheet, because I don't like the clutter and to fit them in they'd be at such small font size that we'd be back to the problem MorganBlackhand complained about. Fontsizes 3.5 and below are not easy for 600dpi printers *sigh*
I will however, eventually, make a "guide sheet" where I'll fill in a sheet with explanations and calculations/formula so everyone can be in on the handy features present on the sheet and for use as reference.

Atm. I'm focusing on trying to build a better attack section within the space alotted to it, and I think with the recent swapping around of the "Racial/Background Traits, Class Features & Feats" section with "Skills + Spells + Attack" section has brought a lot of interesting options.

I think it'll be necessary to move the description, languages & carrying capacity to Page 2, then I'll redesign spell tracker & move a lot of things around (again again!). In the end, there will be lots of space for a decent attack block that can do more than the current one.

I've given serious thought to acknowledging the differences between melee & magic users and perhaps making a P1 for melee and a P1 for casters, so that they each can have a better sheet. There will be room for the special snowflakes (rangers/palas) aswell.

Thanks for now!