Argon of Minds

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: Updated a great deal.

Aegon of Claws
Creature
When ~ enters play, exile 10 cards from the top of your library.
When ~ leaves play, put a 1/1 white Cat creature token into play.
, Exile the top 10 cards of your library: Put a 1/1 white Cat creature token into play.
1/1
"Oh gods, a present from Simic, would it seem rude not to accept?"
Hm. This... doesn't really hold together cohesively. I don't get the white color, plus the mind thing, plus the illusion thing, plus the self mill exile... and I'm not sure what the flavor text is trying to say. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's terrible. I can't think of a particularly good, not-awkward use of this card.

Yeah, I'm just not getting this card at all, basically. It's trying to do too much.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
It's the sort of Doomed Traveler type card that white does a lot of.

Both abilities 2 and 3, the 1st ability being mostly about simplifying the wording, create fragile 0/1 tokens.
  On entering,
  On leaving
  and on tapping.

The self mill exile is a cost, much like Stitched Drake, I like using the library as a resource like this.

The flavour text says that the creature gives as much possibility as it's owner can imagine, but that it's owner doesn't have much imagination. It's like the flavour text on Redirect.

Can you think of a better creature type that could justifiably be very fragile but not have to be somewhat blue?

Argon is a chemical element with symbol Ar and atomic number 18. It is in group 18 (noble gases) of the periodic table. Argon is the third most common gas in the Earth's atmosphere, at 0.93% (9,300 ppm), making it approximately 23.8 times as abundant as next most common atmospheric gas, carbon dioxide (390 ppm), and more than 500 times as abundant as the next most common noble gas, neon (18 ppm). Nearly all of this argon is radiogenic argon-40 derived from the decay of potassium-40 in the Earth's crust. In the universe, argon-36 is by far the most common argon isotope, being the preferred argon isotope produced by stellarnucleosynthesis in supernovas.

The name "argon" is derived from the Greek word αργον meaning "lazy" or "the inactive one", a reference to the fact that the element undergoes almost no chemical reactions. The complete octet (eight electrons) in the outer atomic shell makes argon stable and resistant to bonding with other elements. Its triple point temperature of 83.8058 K is a defining fixed point in theInternational Temperature Scale of 1990.

Argon is produced industrially by the fractional distillation of liquid air. Argon is mostly used as an inert shielding gas in welding and other high-temperature industrial processes where ordinarily non-reactive substances become reactive; for example, an argon atmosphere is used in graphite electric furnaces to prevent the graphite from burning. Argon gas also has uses in incandescent and fluorescent lighting, and other types of gas discharge tubes. Argon makes a distinctive blue-green gas laser.

Argon isn't a shield though....

So... Arc-slogger + Meloku the Clouded Mirror + some Dovescape for some reason...
It's named correctly as 'Aegon' in the original post, altough the thread title does show as 'Argon'.

It's used only as a fantasy sounding name.
It would be rather too powerful without the first ability, why do you post as if you don't know why it's there.

Another possibility that avoids some of these problems:

Aegon of Claws
Creature
When ~ enters play, exile 15 cards from the top of your library.
, Exile the top 15 cards of your library: Put a 1/1 white Cat creature token into play.
1/1
"Oh gods, a present from Simic, would it seem rude not to accept?"
Just try "mill 2"... unless there's some broken sphinx schenanigans you need going on....

That drawback is too harsh, Arc-slogger has it because it's repeatable cheap removal/burn. Sure these wear equipment better than an Eldrazi Spawn, but they were pratically free...

... or heck, make the target>sac thing into into mill/exile
It might be a bit steep at the moment, but mill 2 is quite nutural and could even be helpfull. You're sure that ": Put a 1/1 creature into play." is a balanced ability for a 1/1 for 1 creature with no drawbacks and a helpful leaves play ability?

I've gone with the claws design now, see the original post. I couldn't make it work well enough flavour wise. 
Do you want to Exile 15 for it to enter the battlefield, if I have a burn spell, bounce, -1/-1 or fight?

I think it would help to explain the card flavor in detail a bit.

A problem a lot of us have in designing cards is overcomplicated drawbacks tacked on to a broken creature. Start with something elegant and add on to it only if it's absolutely necessary.

Big Guy
Creature- Construct
When Big Guy enters the battlefield, you lose the game. (But it can be Stifled!)
Flying, Trample, First strike, Super haste, Snow-Covered Homaridwalk, Immune to Attrition < 6
20/20
The only way I can see this card getting its value is if your playing self mill. Otherwise it is just a card that doesn't even feel fit for a kitchen table.
I see Artsy_Wumpus, I'm not sure about the flavour.

Shockwave07, how about this one?

Example
Creature
: Put a 1/1 white Cat creature token into play. Use this ability up to 2 to 3 times per game.
1/1

So why is losing even half your library, unless most games will continue for 23 turns, such a deal breaker?
Depends on the deck I suppose, but you have to admit decks that run mill will love this being in the opponents deck.
Yes, Also it's analogous to paying life for effects when playing a deck with no lifegain agains't burn.

Argon is a chemical element ...

I've been meaning to mention to you, Mata Hari...

You have a fan. 

Sign In to post comments