Winter Court Backstory for a Campaign

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I posted this in character development, but just in case that is the wrong forum, I also wanted to run it by the DM people.

I am DMing a game right now and I have a player who has a character who is the agent of the Winter Court. I want to take the party to the Winter Court and have them interact with the fey there. From my amazing google and reading skills, I have discovered that:

The Winter Court resides in Gamradh in the Western part of the Feywild. (Is this accurate?)
It is led by the Prince of Frost (I have read the Dragon article).
The Winter Court is not very nice.
There is Koliada the Winter Witch, but what is her relation to the Prince of Frost? Rival in power? Ally?

But what else is there to know about the Winter Court? What is the hierarchy of the court? What is Gamradh like? What are the citizens of the city like? Who are some other important Winter Court players?

Also, would the Prince of Frost be on the level of out and out gods like Bahamut in terms of power? Or is an archfey a bit below?

I know I can fluff them to fit my needs, but I would like as much informaton on the Winter Court as possible, so I can have a frame to build around and pick and choose what I want to keep, edit, or change. I have Heroes of the Feywild and that book is sorely lacking on Winter Court details.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
One thing to remember about the courts is they are "courts" in the loosest sense. They gather as the Court of the Stars only once or twice every so many years, usually in response to an event. So you really aren't going to have moments when you are meeting with the Winter Court. It's all done through emissaries. You may have a gathering of powerful Winter Fey, but that is not necissarily the Winter Court.

Also, the Prince of Frost is like the tyrant king who rules from afar. They pay homage to him, try not to get in his way or gain his attention, but he really only leads the court because he is the most powerful fey in the Winter Court. His servants tend to be heartless monsters.

Alot of the details are purposefully not filled in, so you have to kind of get your version of things and run with it.
I know I can fluff them to fit my needs, but I would like as much informaton on the Winter Court as possible, so I can have a frame to build around and pick and choose what I want to keep, edit, or change. I have Heroes of the Feywild and that book is sorely lacking on Winter Court details.

I strongly recommend that you refluff it based on what you have and what you assume, and that you bring the other players, particularly the player of the agent character, in on it. This is pefect opportunity to collaborate and build something that all of you are invested in, rather than something you've read and are trying to keep straight.

The stereotype about players (and of course I don't know what yours are like) is that they don't pay attention to details about the game world. The reason for this is that humans simply tend not to be good at retaining details that are narrated to them. So, a DM might learn or craft all kinds of details and download them to the players and is likely to find them forgetting those details or getting them wrong, and having to correct them.

If you work from a loose structure and set of assumptions that are easy to remember (the Winter Court is in the Feywild, fey are tricky, etc.) and work as a group to develop other details, those details are guaranteed to be relevant and be more easily retained by the players. We remember better that which we help create.

I bet your player, probably all your players, already have ideas about the Feywild, what's in it, what the NPCs are like, and other things that you wouldn't even consider. Tap into that. There are no wrong answers except those that contradict or block other answers - and in the Feywild even contradictions can exist side-by-side.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

fwiw: I recall "Menace of the Icy Spire" could be useful.
As could this.

There's an entire article about the Prince of Frost, along with stats for him and some of his minions. Mithrendain also is a good article, though I may be misspelling the name. Also any articles about Eladarin tend to have info on the courts.

Most articles I think are under the Court of Stars banner.
Sign In to post comments