[DGM-ICD] Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
SEVEN???





Edit:

She doesn't seem like a 7-drop from the art. She definitely doesn't look like a 4/4 from the art OR flavor.

She seems like a limited bomb, but I have a hard time thinking that any 7-drop is 'unbeatable' because of the fact that they are 7 mana.


Whelp.... Thats a bomb. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
****
Wow...... just, wow.
7cmc? Come on.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Wow, this is soooo... crap.
This so stupid.  They should have made this some random Orzhov rare, and made the card Teysa actually make sense.  Yes, remember 3 mana 2/3 Teysa?  Well she's all growed up, despite being a random human, and is now a 7 mana 4/4.  What an epic failure.
Ewwwwwwwww

It might as well read, "You have protection from creatures", but it doesn't even do that. Do not want. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
dumb
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Really seven mana? Her on card abilities don't even work well together. Protection from creatures with vigilance means you want to block with her, but you need the creature to deal you damage to get the token. Stupid design and this could have cost 6 mana instead of 7 because of it. She is not even incredible for Commander, just subpar. Too expensive for Extort, seven mana. I am massivley dissapointed. Oh and did I mention... WTF 7 mana?!
As an Orzhov fan, I am very disappointed.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
goddamit wizards I was excited.

I am actualy pissed. 
What is wrong with you people? Despite the CMC of 7, let's have a look.



Much like Angel of Despair you have to break it down in order to appreciate the high cost, in her case however, she's CHEAPER for 2 effects on ONE card, IN ADDITION to Vigilance and PRO-Creatures.


I dunno about you guys, but a No Mercy + Field of Souls on one card already costs EIGHT mana + 2 cards. And they give you the ability to swing past and block ANYTHING.


I like this alot, I really do.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I have never seen so many accounts on one page
You obviously weren't here for Zendikar.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Angel of Despair immediately gets you value. This is not close.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Dread tells people not to attack you and can usually hit them for six. Teysa can only hit for four, but she has an even stronger warning not to attack, is a great blocker herself, and can always get through for damage. 
Uh, at least the art's good.
Wow, what garbage. I was really excited for her, seeing as I "knew" that she would be low costed because of her previous card, which is the first step towards playable. I really wanted her to be playable.

Then this.

みんな、見ていてくれ!

hey guys firemind's foresight tutors 3 cards at instant speed
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I mean... she goes in any Orzhov-colored EDH, most likely. I guess. I know I'll be playing her in my Obzedat deck, and she at least has good synergy with the original Ghost Council and Teysa.

But just seriously disappointing standard applications. Doesn't even have good relevance to the guild ability, like the Izzet, Gruul, or Simic champ.
I honestly don't think it's as bad as everyone is saying. It obviously is unlikely to find a home in Standard, but I'm sure Casual and Commander play definitely awaits this new Teysa, and yes, I do agree that it's comparable to Dread.
She's actually really good.

Since when did any creature cost 7 mana??
This card is beautiful. It shows a very Orzhov and flavorful character. It inspires so much respect among creatures, it cares so little about others, it makes them feel so bad. It's also very clever if you think of her advokist past: "Go ahead, hit me. In the end, you will end up serving me."

For those saying why this is 4/4, it's because the last ability is so powerful that it led to seven mana. With that in mind, there was obviously some need to balance the P/T.

For those saying there are abilities that contradict themselves, remember that you choose to block. And if you prefer the token, you get the token.
That's...disappointing.
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 
why protection from creatures and not "unblockable"?
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 


Wood Elemental
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
This card is beautiful. It shows a very Orzhov and flavorful character. It inspires so much respect among creatures, it cares so little about others, it makes them feel so bad. It's also very clever if you think of her advokist past: "Go ahead, hit me. In the end, you will end up serving me."

For those saying why this is 4/4, it's because the last ability is so powerful that it led to seven mana. With that in mind, there was obviously some need to balance the P/T.

For those saying there are abilities that contradict themselves, remember that you choose to block. And if you prefer the token, you get the token.




Except that Teysa makes no sense flavorwise as a 7 mana 4/4.   This card should have been some random made up legend in a commander product down the line.  Not Teysa.
closest comparison to this card is Dread and honestly I think thats awful, it fits the theme of making sure the game drags out but you got to be kidding me this sucks. I was waiting to finish my B/W commander to wait and see the new teysa to see if she will be as cool and build around me like her last form. Now though I'm just seething wizards makes one of the most iconic non planeswalker characters into a janky card, her last form had something appealing to her letting you really have a manipulitive commander. Yet just the idea you need 7 mana for a Dread is dumb, the spirits part of it makes the old one better is that suppose to be a slap in the face or something?
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 


Yes, cards like Mudhole and One with Nothing are clearly good in Commander.
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 


Yes, cards like Mudhole and One with Nothing are clearly good in Commander.


And those are just as bad as Doubling Season which is a commander staple. 

Awful cards in an awful format.  
And those are just as bad as Doubling Season which is a commander staple. 

Awful cards in an awful format.  


Wow.
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 


Not 0.

I could maybe see it in Reanimator as far as standard applications go. Either that or the format has to slow waaaaaaaaay down. 
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
So yeah this is crap for competitive. 7 mana is a lot, and she doesn't do much. White and black usually don't ramp much, especially right now that I know of, so hitting 7 mana comes fairly late in the game, and even then it leaves you no way to protect her, and you get nothing when you do.

However in multiplayer she gets much better: She tells them to attack elsewhere. You won't get value with her often, but many will let her stay hoping someone else will answer it. So you get some turns to do what you need. And swing with an unblockable 4/4. 

She's flashy, but I think they pushed her too hard trying to pay off expectations that they over shot it and made it a little unappealing due to the mana cost.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
why protection from creatures and not "unblockable"?



Because the card is terrible enough as it is?  Why make it worse?
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 

You're... referring to me, I guess? Since I was the first one on the page that referred to EDH, I'll assume that.

I mean, I said it was gonna be bad in Standard. Am I not allowed to bring up its relevance in multiple formats?
"Good in EDH" is not a good evalution of a card because all terrible cards are goo in EDH. It's like saying numbers are divisible by one. 

You're... referring to me, I guess? Since I was the first one on the page that referred to EDH, I'll assume that.

I mean, I said it was gonna be bad in Standard. Am I not allowed to bring up its relevance in multiple formats?


No, it's about all threads for new cards. Posting "good in my x edh deck" is the same as somebody posting "this is a magic card" or "I can put this in my constructed deck". 
Today's spoilers made me less excited for the set. Was really expecting more than a 7 mana dollar rare and 5 commons for the third day of spoilers.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Sign In to post comments