New Player, Building a Red/Blue Izzet-Themed Deck

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm brand-spanking new to the Magic Game. I have a whole bunch of friends who play and have always encouraged me to get into it, but never really jumped in for one reason or another. I started playing with some pre-made decks last week, and really enjoyed myself... and now I kind of want to build my own deck!

I had my buddy explain to me a lot of the Lore and Meta behind the game, and I got really attached to the idea of playing a Red/Blue deck (the idea of balancing power and control appealed to me). After doing some research, I know a lot of the newer Izzet and Ravnica content is made up around that theme, which is good news for me.

I did some digging to find decent cards with those colors and a few strategies that go along with them, but I'm not sure on how to optimize combos or if there are better spells out there. Keep in mind I'm going to be purchasing a lot of these cards, but at this point budget is not really an issue. This was my rough idea:

Creatures (16)
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius (1)
Snapcaster Mage (4)
Izzet Guildmage (4)
Gelectrode (4)
Goblin Electromancer (3)

Instant (12)
Lightning Bolt (4)
Mana Leak (4)
Prophetic Bolt (2)
Brainstorm (2)

Sorcery (4)
Invoke the Firemind (1)
Epic Experiment (1)
Rift Bolt (2)

Enchantment (4)
Curiosity (4)

Lands (24)
Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind (1)
Sulfar Falls (4)
Cascade Bluffs (4)
Izzet Boilerworks (4)
Steam Vents (2)
Island (4)
Mountain (4)
-- One More Land, not sure which.

Basically I wanted it to be a very casting-heavy deck, using Electromancers to lower casting costs, Guildmages to replicate spells, and Snapcasters to revive dead ones. Gelectrodes are there to pile on additional hits, since I'll be using a lot of Instants/Sorceries. Curiosity + Gelectrodes give me a higher chance of drawing more spells to cast... there's a lot of draw power mixed in with the burn spells. Niv-Mizzet for the end-game (if it goes on that long), with mass-tap drawing and ping damage until the final swooping charge. Mana Leak as a cautionary measure. A lot of the cards let me rearrange the top of my deck, so I could set up Nivix or Epic Experiment for some free spells.

I just want to know what I can do to improve upon this chassis. Maybe Gelectrodes are too much of a combo to fit in with all the recasters and such? Are there better spells I could be fitting in here? I REALLY like 'Vaccummelt' and 'Cyclonic Rift', would love to work them in some how. Also I feel like Izzet Charm is a good fit.

Just a newb looking for some help, guys! Appreciate all your advice in advance.
After reading your post I think I understand what you are looking for. The current decklist you have needs a bit of work. Snapcaster Mage is the strongest card you have listed and honestly in my opinion a very strong card to build around.

Creatures: 14
4xSnapcaster Mage Flash in blocker/flashback on spells.
4xAugur of Bolas Blocker/dig for spells.
4xGuttersnipe Damage while you cast spells.
1xNiv-Mizzet, Dracogenius Late game finisher. Both Niv-Mizzet could be replaced with 2xTalrand, Sky Summoner
1xNiv-Mizzet, the Firemind Late game finisher. Or both replaced by 2xHypersonic Dragon.

Other: 23
4xThought Scour Draw/self mill to give Snapcaster Mage more targets.
4xLightning Bolt Damage/removal.
4xBrainstorm Card draw. or Izzet Charm for counter/creature removal/draw+discard to give Snapcaster Mage more targets.
4xMana Leak Counterspell. Dissipate is another option.
2xCyclonic Rift Control/mass removal.
2xMizzium Mortars Creature removal/mass removal.
3xProphetic Bolt Card draw/dig + damage.

Lands: 23
4xSulfur Falls
4xSteam Vents
7xIslands
7xMountains
1xNivix, Aerie of the Firemind if you use Brainstorm or Desolate Lighthouse if you use Izzet Charm

You can use Curiosity for great card draw with things like Guttersnipe/Lobber Crew/Gelectrode but you need to be careful since non of them are hexproof (Invisible Stalker is a good example) and can be Murder removed pretty easily. Goblin Electromancer I think needs more spells that have higher casting cost to be effective. Epic Experiment is a fun card to play but is best used in a deck focused around almost all just sorcies/instants. Izzet Guildmage/Nivix Guildmage is an alright card but a copy won't trigger Guttersnipe which when used right can be a real strong card (Chandra, the Firebrand is good at copying things if you like that effect with more upside). A good card I personally like is Hypersonic Dragon since it has haste and makes sorcies cast at instant speed.

I hope this helps!
Ah! Very cool, Indigo. Thanks for helping me trim the fat. Good stuff.

I can definitely see the upside of the Augur of Bolas; being able to decide what's coming up is great for this deck. The Guttersnipes are cool, I'll do a couple runs of both them and the Guildmages- as I'm really partial to them.

Here's something else I was thinking of; what about adding Melek, Izzet Paragon to this deck (when it's made available, of course)? Possibly replacing the Niv family. Using Augur, Brainstorms, and Prophetic Bolts to make sure I can always play an Instant/Sorcery on the top of my deck AND copy it! Not to mention copying with Guildmages, or being able to play discarded spells from the Graveyard with Snapcaster. It'd be like having the Library, Graveyard, and my hand as a source of spellcasting! Getting off 2-3 Lighting Bolts or Thought Scours would be MEAN in the right context.
If budget is truly not a problem, then Scalding Tarn and Volcanic Island want to be in your deck.

A lone Boseiju, Who Shelters All might be the last land your initial build wants, given your stated desire of running lots of sorceries and instants.

Speaking of which, I am a fan of Electrolyze, Preordain, and Magma Jet.  The scry of the last two is just too wonderful to pass up.

Cheers! 
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
First off, props on a badass first deck. I wound up with something similar with one of my first decks, but you've packed some serious quality into this beast. 

I prefer Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind to Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. What's nice, though, is that you can actually have both out at the same time (despite the fact that they're the same character), since they technically have different names, so you could consider running both. I should point out that Curiosity or a similar effect on Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is an instant-win combo if you can pull it off. And curiosity works great with Guttersnipe in the early game. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Sign In to post comments