4/10/2013 Feature: "Planeswalker Points Dragon's Maze Achievements"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Planeswalker Points Dragon's Maze Achievements", which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Despite knowing they're totally meaningless and absolutely nobody, myself included, cares what achievements I have, I still find myself drawn to acquire as many as possible and feel annoyed when one falls forever beyond my grasp.

I may have a problem. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I remember the day when we used to get frequent flier miles for playing (player rewards).  Now it's virtual xbox-style achievement icons....
Despite knowing they're totally meaningless and absolutely nobody, myself included, cares what achievements I have, I still find myself drawn to acquire as many as possible and feel annoyed when one falls forever beyond my grasp.

I may have a problem. 

You may be the problem.  Smile

I understand the desire to be a completionist in a game, but the way gamification has become a marketing tool everywhere means its going to burn out fast and potentially earn a backlash.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir- what? We try to earn as many points as possible while earning as few achievements as possible? Sounds pretty challenging Tongue Out
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

There are so many achievements added everytime, with so little influence on a lot of them that I actually couldn't care less.

After a GP weekend there were so many achievements "unlocked" that the actual points of the GP were on the second page; so thanks for the filter option. 

I would like to see the return of player rewards as well. I think the structure that most Poker sites use, actually works really well to convince players to play that extra tournament and I'm sure, if implemented correctly, it will earn WOTC money in the long run.

So.. when is Wizards going to do stuff with PWP that is actually interesting?

Like real world rewards? Or online if necessary. I mean, talk about a good way to get more people online..

Treshold 1: 75% discount on DotP

Treshold 2: Free Mtgo account

Treshold 3: free expansion DotP, or coupon for Mtgo

etc.

Darn. I thought it was an update to the naive participation-times-winning points system.

I, like others, could not care less about achievements. Real player rewards were great, they made me want to participate. A rating system where I have no chance to show my skill level if I don't *also* spend out the ass to travel is hardly a real system.

Also, a pre-emptive point to the "well lots of people enjoy it" retort:

Good systems aren't a popularity contest. Lots of people will put up will all sorts of **** (look at EA's defense of micropayments and "freemium.") It's just cheap psychology tricks.

Same with these achievements.