Bant Delver

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

Inspired by the one that won the PTQ, my bant version so far.  Making frequent changes to it, been playtesting pretty nicely.  Wanted to play GoST, so here's my take.  Any suggestions? 

I've been fumbling around with Augur of Bolas and Rapid Hybridization in the deck.
After playing Bant aura extensively, I'm getting interested in this archetype. Note that the Bant versions tend to play Cloudfin Raptor instead of Quirion Dryad. See, for example:

Bant Aggro by _Soku_

I haven't played with either the BG or Bant Delver lists yet to be able to comment more than that, however. I'm going to try both and see which I like more.
After playing Bant aura extensively, I'm getting interested in this archetype. Note that the Bant versions tend to play Cloudfin Raptor instead of Quirion Dryad. See, for example:

Bant Aggro by _Soku_

I haven't played with either the BG or Bant Delver lists yet to be able to comment more than that, however. I'm going to try both and see which I like more.

To  be honest, if I were to put in a Cloudin Raptor it would replace Delver.
You may be right, I'm just reporting my scan of what's out there. The trade-off is 1 mana for evasion vs. 2 mana without. I can't comment yet on how rapidly Cloudfin Raptor evolves vs. Quirion Dryad gets a counter. The green spells you miss out on by using Quirion Dryad are Giant Growth and Druid's Deliverance, but Soku's list only runs 1x of those (I've upped them to 2x and sideboard Faith's Shield). I also sideboard 3x Fog for aggro matchup.
You may be right, I'm just reporting my scan of what's out there. The trade-off is 1 mana for evasion vs. 2 mana without. I can't comment yet on how rapidly Cloudfin Raptor evolves vs. Quirion Dryad gets a counter. The green spells you miss out on by using Quirion Dryad are Giant Growth and Druid's Deliverance, but Soku's list only runs 1x of those (I've upped them to 2x and sideboard Faith's Shield). I also sideboard 3x Fog for aggro matchup.

Well, he's a pretty decent evolver with GoST.  Every attack gets him an evolve counter.  Quirion Dryad is rediculous.  What I like about this list is that it has tons of answers, but sometimes it seems a little dead.  I might go back and try the other list and see how that works. 

I playtested against the bant list, and I seemed to do well against, but could've been nut draws.
I playtested against the bant list, and I seemed to do well against, but could've been nut draws.

Do you mean you played your list against the other Bant list, or you've tested them side-by-side?

I playtested against it.
I think you should be on 4 Simic Charm before you start running Fleeting Distraction and other stuff in its slots.  I'd actually say run Azorius Charm before Distraction as well.  MOAR CHARMS.

Go ahead and play the fourth Snapcaster.  It's not like he's not one of the reasons to play this deck or anything.

I also kinda like the lists running Call of the Conclave?  Cards that contribute to your threat count and flip your Delvers are pretty cool.  Not sure I'm sold on it, but it's worth noodling with.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
I haven't been impressed with the Azorius Charms too much in this deck. I ran a one of for a while, and when it came up, ut was goos, but I felt like it wasn't worth the slot.

Simic Charms were okay, I just didn't feel the need to play a playset.

I just started experimenting with Cloudfin Raptor in place of Delver, because I haven't been too impressed, so there goes the deck
Lolshrug?

Azorius Charm serves the utility of saving your GoST, tempo'ing your opponent through wrecking their attack step, or just cycling. 

Simic Charm does exactly the same thing.  Saves your guys, gets theirs out of the way, can counter a removal spell, plus can combat-trick so you win the combat step, or just the game.

Also they both evolve your Dryad.  Simic Charm my Dryad , Dryad triggers, gets a +1/+1 counter, then gets +3/+3?  Surpriiiiise!

I would argue there is literally nothing not to like about either of those two cards.  I don't know what you're looking for instead.  If you're looking for blowouts, they might feel finicky.  But tempo isn't about blowouts, it's about finessing a narrow game ahead of your opponent.  But you're running Fleeting Distraction, so my guess is that's not your objection?

No objection to Raptor, but I feel like that's where you really get concerned with playing too many creatures.  Probly want the 4 Call of the Conclave for sure with that guy.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Having played a little bit with the Bant version and a lot with the BG Delver list that won the PTQ in Phoenix (?), I think I like the BG list a lot better. It just seems more consistent.
In terms of what? Just general plays?
In terms of games won. However, I stopped playing with the Bant list pretty early after having much more success with the BG list. It's possible that this was just bad luck too. The BG list can struggle against fast aggro (Gruul aggro, Naya blitz). You need Fog / Snapcaster Mage combos to control the tempo enough to survive.
Sign In to post comments