1st Human Paladin Build

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone, this is my 1st FULL character build and I would like to put it up for review. The reason why I chose Human for the race, is because it fits with the upcoming campaign that I shall be participating in. Human Paladin, turns into Vryloka Blackguard. I'll post the background story for both characters later.

But here is the 1st build.

Character Name: Elurion Di'ren
Class: Paladin
Paragon Path: Champion of Order
Epic Destiny: Avatar of War
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 189 lbs.
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Bahamut

Ability Scores:

Str: 24 (+2 Racial Bonus)
Con: 18
Dex: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 20
Cha: 11

Feats:

Level 01: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 01: Mighty Challenge (Racial Bonus Feat)
Level 02: Virtuous Recovery
Level 04: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 06: Improved Iniatitive
Level 08: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades)
Level 10: Blade Opportunist
Level 11: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 12: Great Fortitude
Level 14: Solid Sound
Level 16: Lightning Reflexes
Level 18: Iron Will
Level 20: Holy Symbol Expertise
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 22: Robust Defenses
Level 24: Epic Reflexes
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Superior Iniatitive

At-Will Prayers:

Level 01: Ardent Strike
Level 01: Holy Strike
Level 01: Valiant Strike (Racial Bonus)

Encounter Prayers:

Level 01: Heedless Fury
Level 03: Hold Fast
Level 07: Thunder Smite
Level 13: Costigating Strike
Level 17: Mark of Terror
Level 23: Champion's Call
Level 27: Stunning Smite

Daily Prayers:

Level 01: Blood of the Mighty
Level 05: Arc of Vengeance
Level 09: Shout of Condemnation
Level 15: Pyre of Judgement
Level 19: Wheel of Fate
Level 25: Exalted Retribution
Level 29: Powerful Faith

Utility Prayers: Not sure on what to pick here, anything after the / is my other option. Thoughts?

Level 02: Call of Challenge/Bless Weapon
Level 06: Shield of Discipline/Pure Devotion
Level 10: Cry for Mercy/Guiding Verse
Level 16: Divine Aegis/Insightful Riposte
Level 22: Holy Wings/Return to the Living

I'll post the rest of the information later tonight hopefully. So far, how do you guys think the build is going?
By the way, its a Straladin build.
Improved Initiative and Superior Initiative don't stack together since both give a feat bonus.
Great Fortitude should be swapped for Superior Will
Iron Will should be swapped for Improved Defenses

err you know what, most of your feats need a solid rework.

Your ability scores also need some work.  You're going to want a starting 18 in STR.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to read the following thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Turning into a blackguard is basically the worst idea you could have. Blackguard is only a competitive option with Paladin at low levels, higher up the Paladin is better at everything than the Blackguard. Even damage.

Erachima, its part of the campaign. After my Paladin reaches a certain point, there's a plot in the campaign where he is turned into a Vryloka Blackguard.

I plan to play him out to max level and then play as the Blackguard.
Improved Initiative and Superior Initiative don't stack together since both give a feat bonus.
Great Fortitude should be swapped for Superior Will
Iron Will should be swapped for Improved Defenses

err you know what, most of your feats need a solid rework.

Your ability scores also need some work.  You're going to want a starting 18 in STR.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to read the following thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I know they don't stack, I plan to retrain.

I'll take a look.

Thank you for your advice, I'll do some work on the feats. Thank you.

Turning into a blackguard is basically the worst idea you could have. Blackguard is only a competitive option with Paladin at low levels, higher up the Paladin is better at everything than the Blackguard. Even damage.

Erachima, its part of the campaign. After my Paladin reaches a certain point, there's a plot in the campaign where he is turned into a Vryloka Blackguard.

I plan to play him out to max level and then play as the Blackguard.

If it is part of the fluff of the campaign, let it be fluff.

Otherwise, by all means and shoot yourself in the foot as a paladin. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The blackguard should never have been a separate class - it should just be a refluffed Opaladin.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
you know it's funny, I was replaying Baldur's Gate lately and I really do miss the class kits.  Not much else, but the class kits were nice to have when you didn't feel like playing the origin class.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I agree that the Blackguard is f'in terrible. Actually, every class in HoS is.

So I am homebrewing the Blackguard class to be more like the Paladin class.

It's just fluff of the campaign, so it's not too important.

I'll type it all out afterwards.

Right now, I have feats to work on. How does my At-Wills/Encounters/Daily/Utilities look?

I tried to give him a certain feel and I only used what is in the appropriate books that I have. I don't like building characters from guides online that don't give me the whole readout of etc.

Right now, I have feats to work on. How does my At-Wills/Encounters/Daily/Utilities look?

I tried to give him a certain feel and I only used what is in the appropriate books that I have. I don't like building characters from guides online that don't give me the whole readout of etc.

Rather than houserule a class.  Just refluff.

It saves everyone a headache. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Rather than houserule a class.  Just refluff.

It saves everyone a headache. 

Thats what I'm doing. I used the wrong words.

So I did some work on my build, but I don't think its where I want it to be just yet.

I don't want him being perfect in everyway, I want to have fun destroying monsters and actually get scared of my character dying.

I played in one campaign where my DM was inexperienced and gave me a 5 headed flail. He made the flail deal damage with every head that landed a hit, so 5[w] and each flail had its on elemental damage it dealt on top of it, coupled with a prayer, etc I was dealing nearly 600+ damage at level 16. Once I discovered his error, I would not allow myself to use it, because 1) It took the fun out of the game 2) I was pretty much unstoppable as long as I was hitting and 3) It wasn't fair to other players.

Now, I know optimizing my character won't even come close to dealing that kind of damage. But it sort of ruined the game for me.