Dragon's Maze Preview Week Contest!

402 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh God why?

Why am I starting this thread?

I am going to ask for an assistant - I'd ideally like to use a Googledocs spreadsheet as has been done recently, but can't access from work. I would like an assistant to tally / sort / post results. I will (ohgodohgodohgod) grade and comment.

EDIT: RAZOR IS KING OF SPREADSHEETS
Enjoy these grades folks.

ROUND 1!!
Let's start with the elephant in the room shall we?
SPLIT CARDS ARE BACK. And they have a fancy new mechanic.

Make a split card with Fuse.

Round 1 will be open until round 3 starts, being slightly late etc, etc.
Rank

Sorcery
Put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
//
File

Sorcery
Each player chooses a creature he or she controls and puts it on top of its owner's library.
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

Placeholder for now.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Charmed -- :UM::BM:
Sorcery (U)

Gain control of target creature.

[FUSE: You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.]

Delighted -- :WM::UM:
Sorcery (U)

Target player draws two cards. Another target player gains 5 life.

==xx==
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Up  
Instant
Target creature gains flying until end of turn. 
//
Up  
Instant
Target creature gains flying until end of turn.
//
Away    
Sorcery
Creatures you control with flying get +4/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn.
Fuse (You may cast one or more halves of this card from your hand.)

Not quite sure how to template fuse on a triple-split card. As written, the card has three halves.
Contract
Sorcery
Put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield, then put a +1/+1 counter on it.
---
Expand
Sorcery
Populate, then proliferate.
---
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)
Push -- 
Instant
Tap each land tapped for mana last turn. Those lands don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

---

Pull -- 
Instant
Add to your mana pool for each land you control.

Fuse 
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Thinking of two words sayings is hard

Take and Give
Have and Hold
Command and Conquer
Here and Now
Death and Taxes
Forgive and Forget
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Run and Jump
Benny and the Jets
Cool and the Gang
Sigfriend and Roy
Punch and Kick
Kiss and Control
Fish and Chips
... and So On 
I am going to ask for an assistant - I'd ideally like to use a Googledocs spreadsheet as has been done recently, but can't access from work. I would like an assistant to tally / sort / post results. I will (ohgodohgodohgod) grade and comment.

I got your back bro.

submission incoming

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Take and Give
Kiss and Control
... and So On 

give and take you mean?

and who?
Give :1M::RM::RM:
Sorcery
Choose an opponent. That opponent gains control of target permanent you control.
Overload
//////
Receive
Sorcery
Gain control of target permanent an opponent controls.
Overload

Fuse 
here's the link

Dungeons-
Sorcery
Exile two target creatures.
//
Dragons-
Sorcery
Put two 4/4 Dragon creature tokens with flying and haste onto the battlefield.
//
Fuse

RAWR

RAAAAAWR

RAAAAAAAAAAAWR

okay as a bit of my thought process here, no, you're not gonna fuse this often. you'd have to be pretty flooded. but each side can swing a game, especially in limited, and if you've got 14 mana you're likely getting super-flooded and need something massive to get back in. something like killing their two best creatures and getting 8 power worth of hasty flying. plus, I'm not really selling a tool here, I'm selling a dream. can you imagine if you got to actually Fuse this? it'd be AWESOME. and since each piece inherently has some legitimate use, you can run it JUST IN CASE. I wanted to cost these at 6 but I was uncomfortable there, especially with the precedent of broodmate dragon. so I went with 7.

I also wanted to avoid the obvious "do something on side A and reference it on side B" dynamic, 'cause it's boring and easy. so instead of shoving its synergy in your face and screaming "GET IT?" at the top of its lungs, this is just two value engines that work on the same axis.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Over
Sorcery
Destroy target tapped permanent.
//
Out
Sorcery
Return target permanent from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. 
//
Fuse

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Stop
Instant
Tap any number of target creatures.
//
Listen
Instant
Draw a card for each tapped creature.
Fuse
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Forgive

Instant

Regenerate target creature.

//

Forget

Instant

Exile target creature.

Fuse (base fuse mechanic reminder text)

I got your back bro.

I know it.
Down
Instant
Tap target creature.

//

Out
Instant
Destroy target tapped creature.
Fuse (Whatever the reminder for this is.)

I'm following KISS (keep it simple stupid.)
Stop
Instant
Tap any number of target creatures.
//
Listen
Instant
Draw a card for each tapped creature.
Fuse

PSsssst... It's supposed to be "Hey! Listen!"
[/troll]
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Bada Bling
Sorcery
Exile target creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control. 
//
Bada Bloom
Sorcery
Add two mana of any color to your mana pool.

Fuse

Bread
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand, choose a card from it, and exile that card. If it's a nonland card, that player gains life equal to that card's converted mana cost. If it's a land card, that player gains 4 life.

// Fuse //

Circuses
Sorcery
Each player plays a random card from his or her hand without paying its mana cost. Then, that player loses life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
Risk
Sorcery
Draw four cards, then discard two cards at random.
///
Reward
Sorcery
You gain life equal to the number of cards in your hand.
///
Fuse
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
OK, round one is still open, but let's get on with round two as well!

Choices. A 5/5 trampling token for 4, a Simic-y counter doubler and a demon that sets...
an...
opponent's...
life...
total...
to...
one.

Make a card that sets one or more life totals.
ROUND TWO

Bioshock
-- :RM::GM:
Sorcery (R)

Kicker :RM::GM:
Each player's life total becomes 15. If you paid Bioshocks kicker cost, each player's life total becomes 5 instead.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
ROUND ONE

Stop
Instant
Tap target artifact or creature

Fuse
/////

Start
Instant
Untap target artifact or creature
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Round One:

Black Holes
Sorcery
Each player chooses X creatures he or she controls. Return those creatures to their owner's hands.
///
Revelations
Sorcery
Reveal a card at random from your hand.  If it's a creature card, put it onto the battlefield. That creature gains haste until end of turn.
Fuse

You love Muse right? I really hope you love Muse. Anyways, I hope this card is slightly more interesting than "play this half or that half or both for a bigger, badder effect". The choice of X you pick, and whether or not you fuse this card really depends on the board state and what you're hoping to accomplish. (Also I hope four mana isn't too broken for the second half. I mean if you only have one card in your hand it's sort of like an Elvish Piper or something, so I hope I costed it appropriately.)
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Seized
Instant
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. Until end of turn, it gets +2/+0 and has haste.
//
Devoured
Instant
Sacrifice a creature. Distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
//
Fuse

lol 
Bringer of Enlightened Heresy
Artifact Creature - Bringer
Trample, Sunburst
You may pay WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen rather than pay Bringer of the Black Dawn's mana cost.
Each player's life total is equal to your life total.
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game. 
5/5
Round 1 card:

Come
Sorcery
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Fuse (reminder text)

//

Go
Sorcery
Put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield.
(rest of reminder text)

Round 2 card:

Goblet of Sharing
Artifact
: Each player's life total becomes 20. Any player may activate this ability.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

ROUND 1:

Paranoia
Sorcery
You lose 2 life for each card in target opponent's hand, then draw that many cards.
//
Optimism
Sorcery
Gain 2 life for each card in your hand.
Fuse

ROUND 2:

Academic Devotion
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, count the number of cards in your hand. Your life total becomes that number.
Whenever you gain life, you may draw a card.
You have no maximum hand size.
"Knowledge is his life. Literally."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Round Two:

Reincarnate
Instant
The next time damage would reduce your life total to exactly 0 this turn, instead your life total becomes 20.
The angels of Aneli believe that after death, one's spirit is returned to infancy, innocent and free of sin once more.

I'm pretty sure this is worded right. Anyways, it's a silly card that's a pretty big blowout when it works, but often times it will be sort of useless. And your opponent can always play around it by dealing you extra damage or something if they think you have it and you have three mana up.

Also, this card totally wouldn't have been printable if mana burn still existed. :p
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Time

Sorcery
Take an extra turn after this one.
//
Tide

Tap all creatures target player controls. 

Fuse

Delusions of Godhood

Enchantment
When Delusions of Godhood enters the battlefield, your life total becomes infinite. (An infinite life total can't change, and no amount of damage can reduce it to zero. While your life total is infinite, you can't gain or pay life.)
When Delusions of Godhood leaves the battlefield, if you own Delusions of Godhood, you lose the game.
Round 1:
Null

Yearning -
Sorcery
Search your library for a green creature card, shuffle your library, then put that card third from the top.
-------
Fuse
-------
Reunite -
Sorcery
Name a creature card. Then, reveal the top five cards of your library. If the named card is revealed this way, you may put it onto the battlefield. Put all revealed cards that are not named onto the bottom of your library in any order.

Odd -
Sorcery
Exile all non-land permanents that doesn't share a name with any other permanent on the battlefield.
--------
Fuse
--------
Even -
Sorcery
Exile all non-land permanents that shares a name with exactly one other permanent on the battlefield.

Drats, wanted to make Odds&Ends.

Round 2:

Perseverance of Life -  
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's end step, if that player's life total is less than 7, it becomes 7.
: If you have 10 or more life, put a 5/5 green Wurm creature token with trample onto the battlefield. Then, your life total becomes 7.
"Against all forms of harshness, life will grow and it will prevail. For to survive, is life." - Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Working space

Duck

Sorcery
Destroy target creature.  Its owner puts a 2/2 green and blue Bird Mutant creature token onto the battlefield.
//
Cover
Sorcery
Creatures with flying get -2/-2 until end of turn.  
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card fom your hand.)

Hot

Sorcery
Hot deals 3 damage to each creature.
//
Bothered
Sorcery
Whenever a creature dies this turn, its controller loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.

Nuts —
Sorcery
Put four 1/1 green Squirrel tokens onto the battlefield.
//
Bolts
Sorcery
For each creature you control, search your library for an equipment card and put it into play attached to that creature.  Then shuffle your library.

Over
Sorcery
Put each attacking creature on top of its owner's library.
//
Out 
Sorcery
Target player exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles two land cards.

Bait
Sorcery
Creatures block target creature this turn if able.
//
Switch
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
Creatures you don't control get -2/-0 until end of turn.

Round one:

Over
 —
Sorcery
Put each attacking creature on top of its owner's library.
//
Out 
Sorcery
Target player exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles two land cards.

Round two:

Crumbling Tower
Land
When Crumbling Tower enters the battlefield, your life total becomes 5.
: Add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool. Crumbling Tower deals 1 damage to you.
Tejun's towers were built long ago where leylines cross. Thrill-seeking mages seek them out and try to cast the most elaborate spell before the tower collapses with them inside.
Mutually Assured Devastation
Sorcery
Starting with you, each player pays any amount of life, until each player has payed zero life. Then each players life total becomes equal to the difference between the highest life total and the lowest life total. Then each player, starting with you, sacriifces any number of permanents, until each player choices to sacrifice zero permanents. Each player takes damage equal to the number permanents on the battlefield.
Rest assured, we all die. I just intend to assure its sooner than later.

Seems like this might be a terrible card. I may yet edit it.
Round 1:

Public

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature is indestructible and legendary.
//
Private

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has hexproof and no name. (It can't be named or be put into it's owners graveyard by the legend rule.)
//
Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

Just to clarify my intentions, you should be able to cast just like split sorcery and instants, as either one, the other or both (but still as seperate permanents). When you cast both, you can enchant two different creatures or the same one, to create some difficult to get rid of self promoted General.

I made it enchant creature you control so, if you cast both and enchant two different creatures, then both creatures will be on the same side of the field, so you can have them adjacent and the aura running along horizontal under them. Making it slightly less annoying having a split permanent.
Round 2:

Seize the Lifeforce
()
Instant
(Watermark: Simic)

Choose a variable. Your lifetotal becomes that number. (A variable is a number that does not have a pre-set value. For example, X in .)

When the Izzet League perform particulary powerful experiments, the shockwaves often disturb the Simic growth chambers. The Simic don't seem to mind.
Round One:

Forgive
Sorcery (U)
Return all tapped creatures target player controls to their owner's hand.
"Your past trespassings against us are of little importance. The Orzhov are merciful."
Forget
Sorcery (U)
Target player discards two cards.
"Always remember who granted you a new life, who made you a new man. Those who would remind you of your past are those who seek to rob you of your future. Trust only in the Syndicate."
Fuse.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I was going to design Come // Go, but Edacade beat me to it.

Round 1:

Fast --
Instant
Put a 3/1 red Elemental creature token with haste onto the battlefield. Exile it at end of turn.
Fuse
-----
Furious --
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
Fuse

Round 2:

Guardian of Gaea --
Creature -- Elf Druid
Mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as turns and phases end.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have your life total become equal to the amount of mana in your mana pool.
: Add to your mana pool.
3/3 

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Round Two:

Vital Pinnacle X
Enchantment (MR)
~ enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, double the amount of charge counters on ~.
At the beginning of your end step, your life total becomes equal to the number of charge counters on ~.
If your life total is more than 100, you win the game.
"Too elaborate to be a Gruul ritual, too volatile for the new tastes of the Simic, too artifical for the Golgari and too chaotic for the Selesnyan druids... Who, really, created this the heart of life on this plane?" -Jace Beleren.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Biocognition ()()
Instant
Your life total becomes equal to the number of cards in your hand.
"Those who would claim to worship nature admire a dead sort of nature, internalized and stillborn. The Selesnya want trees like sculptures while the Gruul think nature is and can only be their barely-remembered forests. We alone run along with nature to its bright destiny, we alone love nature as it can be." — Auj Mor, Simic oracle