[FR2] Bad Manhattan

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so not much time to explain, but this is a concept that's been in the back of my head for a while. Just decided to put it on paper after hearing about the potential effect of a LD deck on the meta. Stone Rain has been missed, and I doubt we'll ever get it back. This is the best I could do with what we have. LD proponents rejoice!

// Lands
12 [RTR] Forest (1)
4 [GTC] Stomping Ground
3 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
4 [M12] Rootbound Crag
2 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run

// Creatures
3 [AVR] Wolfir Silverheart
4 [M13] Acidic Slime
4 [RTR] Axebane Guardian
3 [GTC] Sylvan Primordial
4 [M13] Arbor Elf
4 [ISD] Avacyn's Pilgrim

// Spells
4 [GTC] Frenzied Tilling
4 [GTC] Verdant Haven
3 [M13] Searing Spear
2 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars

Needs work. It's a really rough list that just falls flat to disruption. But that was the case with the original Manhattan. The mana cost of LD at that time just made it easier to play around. Kill my BoP? I'll just hit you with Boomerang into Stone Rain into Annex into Wildfire. gg?  

Also, it can reach into other colors seamlessly. I just haven't given it enough thought yet. 

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Something I've been thinking of too. So of course I like it, a lot.
Nice idea...and do love LD. Maybe wait for Dragon's Maze and hope for good LD cards

I would go Heartless for LD. Acidic Slime's team - Evil Twin, Clone, Restoration Angel can give fast clock to kill lands. Always fun with Mikaeus the Unhallowed

Don't forget Bramblecrush is another LD card ;)
Alright, so a little more explanation on the deck. This is meant to play out like a Tempo deck for the most part. Except, instead of bouncing and removing creatures, you're taking out their lands. If you can keep them low on lands and, subsequently, limit their board presence, you are able to drop a beatstick and just win. This is why I chose Silverheart over Thragtusk for anyone wondering. You can't argue with 12 power for 5 mana. Primordial isn't as big, but he also extends your tempo game. In the worst case scenario, you just Wolf Run a weenie.

Haven and Guardian got the nod over other potential 3cc rampers (Keyrunes, Elvish Archdruid, Somberwald Sage) because they have a chance to hold off Aggro. With a limited removal suite, you need ramp that can defend you. Not to mention the interaction between Arbor Elf and Haven. I'm still debating bringing in a couple Sages if I can find room. There's nothing like a Turn 3 Primordial on the play, putting them on 1 land. But I decided to not let my Johnny get the best of me, and stuck with the surefire pick of Axebane.

Alright, chances are that this deck needs to extend to a third color for better options. Blue isn't impressing me. I think White or Black would be the best choice. Preferably White because you have the Pilgrims to smooth your mana even more. That could mean anything from Resto Angel (really doesn't seem impressive here) to basic cover-all removal like O-Ring.

And a few words of caution: Mulligans will be frequent if you don't find a Turn 1 Accelerator. Unfortunately, we don't have access to more than 8 at the moment. If you get stuck without removal or chumps against Aggro, you're dead in the water. Aggro doesn't care about our gameplan since their curve is low. And if the opponent gets greedy and starts pinging your accelerators, it's bad for us. Hoping you guys might have some advice on how to shore up these weaknesses.

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

I would go Heartless for LD. Acidic Slime's team - Evil Twin, Clone, Restoration Angel can give fast clock to kill lands.

BUG land destruction might be the best idea ever.
Bug also gives you access to Contaminated Ground Which while very much a troll card, is surprising effective when sideboarded against control decks.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
I have been wanting to do something with Arbor Elf and Verdant Haven since Haven was spoiled but never got around to it.

Interested to see how this develops.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I want to fit a copy of Borborygmos in here, just so I can talk about Borborborborborborborborborborborygmos, which is what I say whenever I get to cast him.
Also think the deck could use Farseek, or some two drop defender that provides mana (if that exists in Standard) 
Maybe Deathrite Shaman? Works with Frenzied Tilling and Ghost Quarter, and you can run Evolving Wilds.

You can just do what I always do-start the deck out being as greedy as possible, then trim from there into the land of reasonable. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Deathrite and ghost quarter sounds delicious...
I want to fit a copy of Borborygmos in here, just so I can talk about Borborborborborborborborborborborygmos, which is what I say whenever I get to cast him.
Also think the deck could use Farseek, or some two drop defender that provides mana (if that exists in Standard) 
Maybe Deathrite Shaman? Works with Frenzied Tilling and Ghost Quarter, and you can run Evolving Wilds.

You can just do what I always do-start the deck out being as greedy as possible, then trim from there into the land of reasonable. 

Deadly Recluse is a two drop that can trade effictely, but I think the card youre looking for is Gatecreeper Vine. Its two mana, defender, and searches out a land for you. 

Abundant Growth is a good way to mana fix and replaces itself in hand.

I know Borborygmos Enraged was a joke but with all the ramp and mana fixing its not a bad idea as a closer. With all the land seeking he could actually churn out some damage. And if youre really feeling cheesy a single Skarrg Goliath can win you the game in one swoop if they just chump block one of your larger threats. 
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Borborborborborygmos was a half joke. I really just like saying Borborborborborygmos. The non-trample abilities rarely end up mattering on him, though, which is kinda sad.
Gatecreeper Vine is a pretty good call. Just wish it were a bigger toughness, so it could block Burning-Tree Emissary and live.
Abundant is nice in a slower envirnoment, but Standard is far too aggressive to really play it outside the Bantchantment decks. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Chandra, the Firebrand? Doubling up on LD is the easiest way to make it get out of hand. However it's not great with just 1 good spell, obviously. Just something to keep in mind.

If you were running I would suggest 3-4x Cackling Counterpart because that card is absolutely hilarious with every creature in your deck. (A very solid card all around; fairly sure it is underplayed due to the past dominance of Vapor Snag, but no one plays unconditional bounce right now)

One avenue to explore would be -4 Pilgrim, -X something else (a silverheart and a primordial), +3-4 Gatecreeper, +3-4 Cackling, add :U::G: lands. 2 Breeding Pool should be enough honestly.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Ya, I'm not too big on Gatecreeper Vine. It doesn't block anything relevant and live to tell about it. Also, it just cantrips for a land. It doesn't actually help you accelerate in threats, which is what this deck is all about. Abundant isn't needed. The mana fixing is fine with Haven, Guardian, potential Duals, and Tilling.

Anyways, I'm finding it pretty tough to consider new cards in here. I can probably add 2-ofs, but the core can't really move around too much. I think that I've found the best land removal spells in the format. There are cheaper options, but they don't do as much. Tilling accelerates you, as does Primordial. Slime is flexible when needed and gives you a body. Ghost Quarter can be LD in land form.

You guys are going to have to really sell me on another finisher. Primordial seems better for this deck than what's been suggested. Also, Chandra is fine, but there aren't enough targets for it. And it doesn't fall on the curve. If you haven't noticed already, this build is very curve-oriented.

I still think I can make room for a couple Somberwald Sage. We just have to be more greedy and unfair than the opponent's deck. Sage is a card that can help us do that.

Silverheart and primordial seem fine as finishers, unless you want to look at some of the new cards.

Show

There's a five drop 7/something with a mana flare on it. Might be great when they have little land anyway?
I like the idea of splashing blue, especially if you're considering Chandra.  Copying an Urban Evolution seems awesome, Tamiyo tap-down effects are often as good as destruction, and bounce becomes real removal when you destroy the lands they need to replay something.
Ya, Chandra is just a turn too slow. Especially with how consistent Reanimator builds have become, you don't want to be doubling up on Urban Evolution on Turn 4. Sure, you got six cards and two lands, but it doesn't matter when you're getting beaten down by an Angel. I think, in order for Ramp to be successful, it has to be, at least, as fast as Reanimator.

I do like the idea of Tamiyo though. I might try a mix between her, Slime, and Tilling to see how it goes. She gives us a source of CA against Aggro, which is nice because our removal suite is small. And she still fits along with the overall strategy. Not to mention her ultimate can give us another win-con.

Silverheart and primordial seem fine as finishers, unless you want to look at some of the new cards.
Show
There's a five drop 7/something with a mana flare on it. Might be great when they have little land anyway?

that creature is Zhur-Taa Ancient
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Yeah, some people don't want to see spoilers though :o
I looked at the Ancient. Seems counterproductive for what we're trying to do here. I want to give the opponent as little mana as I can. If I was trying to go over the top with something like Omniscience, then that might be another story. Silverheart just seems better here.

So you just got an amazing druid.
So you just got an amazing druid.

Which one, the two drop? Not worth it.

Also, if you guys are jamming Primordials, you probably want some Somberwald Sages. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Nah it's worth it.