Warforged

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are Warforged a permissable player character race in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and has an origin story ever been created for them? Did they appear as one of the races in Returned Abeir? Constructs made by the Raumathari Empire to battle the Narfell Empire? Thoughts?
Are Warforged a permissable player character race in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting

Sure. Unless your DM specifically requests you not introduce a Warforged character, you have nothing to worry about.

and has an origin story ever been created for them? Did they appear as one of the races in Returned Abeir? Constructs made by the Raumathari Empire to battle the Narfell Empire? Thoughts?

I don't believe they were ever given an official introduction into FR. I remember seeing a number of homebrew ideas for introducing the Warforged, including the church of Gond creating the Warforged after being divinely inspired by their god, the nation of Lantan developing them prior to sinking into the sea, various mages tinkering with golem servants and producing Warforged as an experiment, etc.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
they dont exist in mainstay forgotten realmslore.

canon wise, no you cant find an offiacl backlore.

unofficial lore:

as stated by markustay: ancient raumthar constructs

as above: sentient construc from lantan

the obvious: you plane hop from eberron

the second ovious:  a sentient golem from anywhere in the realms

the third obvious: you are a wizard who transferrred his soul into a golem 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Frankly, I'm surprised the 4E designers didn't throw a dart at a map of the Forgotten Realms and drop a nation full of Warforged on top of the spot on the map where the dart landed.

Wouldn't this make the Warforged a form of lich and would involve a phylactery? Restricting the Warforged to an evil alignment?

Frankly, I'm surprised the 4E designers didn't throw a dart at a map of the Forgotten Realms and drop a nation full of Warforged on top of the spot on the map where the dart landed.

I hope not. I would have hoped they would have put more thought into it than that. Unfortunately, I found the Dragon article, "Playing Warforged" by Chris Sims, to be lazy concerning the introduction of Warforged into the Forgotten Realms.

A warforged that came through a portal in Sigil. That always works when I want to play with races that are no canon to that world.
Also, in Dragon #371 there are an article of Bruce R. Cordell that gives advise on how introduce a Warforged in FR campaigns.

I think that I like the idea that the Warforged, including the Warforged Charger and Warforged Titan, were constructed by Ramauthari battlemages as soldiers to battle the demon and devil summoning Narfell Empire. Lost Empires of Faerun mentions forgotten Ramauthari arsenals located in ruins throughout the ancient Ramauthari lands. Perhaps buried in pits like the Terracotta Army near the masoleum of the First Qin Emperor, Qin Shi Huang. Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terracotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits near by Qin Shi Huang's masoleum.

Perhaps the Warforged constituted the Ramauthari legions and had structure, ranks, and ratings similar to those of the Roman legions. These legionaries of Ramauthar could have been discovered buried and inert after 20 centuries in the ruins of a creation forge or arsenal and were re-awakened by adventurers, fortune seekers, and/or tomb raiders. They were soldiers created to defend an empire that has not existed for over 2,000 years.  Because they were constructed to defeat the Nars, the Warforged may have a racial hatred of half-fiends and Tieflings. Since their nation is gone, the Warforged have disbanded.

I think that I like this origin idea better than a one off construction of a wizard or the magic door from Eberron.
Postcript:

This creation story also allows for the introduction of the Lord of Blades into the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
fwiw: when warforged were allowed in Living Forgotten Realms, I just figured they were Gondsmen (i.e. robot buddies of the Techsmith prestige class in Faiths & Pantheons, 3rd edition); likely from the lost isle of Lantanis.

Wouldn't this make the Warforged a form of lich and would involve a phylactery? Restricting the Warforged to an evil alignment?

I hope not. I would have hoped they would have put more thought into it than that. Unfortunately, I found the Dragon article, "Playing Warforged" by Chris Sims, to be lazy concerning the introduction of Warforged into the Forgotten Realms.

um no, there was an article waaaay back that lsited a wizard who put his soul into a goelm to survive an assassination plot.

so no I dont htink so 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Gondsmen.

Or they could simply be a unique golem, not a 'race', per se.
fwiw: when warforged were allowed in Living Forgotten Realms, I just figured they were Gondsmen (i.e. robot buddies of the Techsmith prestige class in Faiths & Pantheons, 3rd edition); likely from the lost isle of Lantanis.

I went with a decomissioned construct that gained sentiency due to the wild magic that was flowing around during the Spellplague. Unfortunately that construct remained buried until he was eventually dug up by happenstance.