4/9/2013 SF: "Double Your Pleasure; or, 'Alex, I'd like to buy a Vorel.'"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I was really hoping for something that would be less focus on counters that I could use in my EDH....

I guess its cool for standard though.... on command proliferate and what not....
Nice article.  I particularly liked the Seedborn Muse footnote!  One quibble:

"The lousy Planeswalkers like Jace and Gideon will still be lousy."

Gideon can, in fact, benefit from this card.  Just make him (either version) a creature first.

Preview articles are harder than they look - nice job on this!

AA 
I really don't like him bad mouthing the only cool legend in this article...
Hah. I like the Seedborn Muse snippet at the end. :p

Gideon can, in fact, benefit from this card.  Just make him (either version) a creature first.

AA 

T3 Vorel
T4 Gideon, Champion of Justice +1
T5 Animate Gideon, double, swing

Seems fun.

AA 

T3 Vorel
T4 Gideon, Champion of Justice +1
T5 Animate Gideon, double, swing

Seems fun.

Too bad Gideon 2.0 is a terrible card.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Read bits of this for the preview. This part baffled me a bit:

Just within the block, within the guild even, there are plenty of examples where Vorel will shine.

It's almost like the Simic champion was made to interact positively with Simic mechanics. Clearly, it was absolutely necessary to point out this particular interaction.
Quick, someone hand me the junk rare box so I can pull out four copies of Grimoire of the Dead.
Quick, someone hand me the junk rare box so I can pull out four copies of Grimoire of the Dead.

You know, I can actually think of a quite a few cards in that junk rare box that would be fun with this. Stuff like Liquimetal Coating come to mind.
I like this card, it isn't as focused on one thing like Kaalia of the Vast. Which helps keep decks built around it more interesting. This card can even be used in 60-card land. A lot of legends in recent history feel like they are made for EDH- big, splashy, and with a big mana cost. 

The Seedborn Muse comment was great. It made my day.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

I know that you really want to convince people that Vorel isn't just a worse Gilder Bairn, but he basically is. The moment I saw him, I thought "Oh, so he's a Gilder Bairn that doesn't work on enchantments or planeswalkers. Uh... that's cool, I guess." Vorel is supposed to be this awesome champion of the Simic, but he's just a worse version of an older card. It wouldn't be so frustrating if he wasn't legendary. If he was just a random creature, that would be fine, but the fact that he's a legend means that he should be better than similar creatures, not worse. It's not even that he's bad, per se (in casual formats, obviously), it's just that it's kind of a letdown that he doesn't work the way you think he should. "Oh cool! I can double the counters on my permanents. Oh wait, no I can't."

And speaking of which, why on earth doesn't his ability work with enchantments? Is that really too much to ask? Planeswalkers I can understand, but enchantments? Really?

Don't forget the Illusionist's Bracers!
Human merfolk has to be the worst creature type ever.
I just wish the author of the article would pick a title. We get that you want everyone to think your smart... but show us how smart you are in the body of the article. More than one play on words per title is just PUN-ishment
Not in love with this card, mostly because we've seen Gilder Bairn already and this just feels like a slight riff on that, plus Legendary for commander purposes. Having it as a legend allows for more decks to guarantee they have that effect, which is cool, but it really doesn't get me excited.
There's a lot of things to be disappointed about.

But the one I'll ask because I think I'm behind on the times is: I thought we had a column now that was dedicated to Commander? So does he get the prime pick of the litter or something when it comes to Commander previews? 
The first two cards I thought of upon seeing this guy were Darksteel Reactor and Merrow Commerce. Don't know how I forgot about Seedborn Muse.
Can i get rule verification on Vorel? Does he double the amount of counters on the target card or just give it an additional +1 +1 counter?

Example: Gyre Sage is a 3/4 (has +2 counters on it) by tapping Vorel's ability, would it make the sage a 4/5? or a 6/7?
Can i get rule verification on Vorel? Does he double the amount of counters on the target card or just give it an additional +1 +1 counter?

Example: Gyre Sage is a 3/4 (has +2 counters on it) by tapping Vorel's ability, would it make the sage a 4/5? or a 6/7?

The card says "for each counter" so it will double the amount of counters on the artifact, creature, or land.  If it said "for each type of counter" than it would only put one on.  I understand the confusion, the wording isn't crystal clear at first glance.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Thanks! :D
Alex is from Jeopardy! Pat Sajak is on Wheel Of Fortune where you would "buy a vowel" so it's not that great of a pun anyway.
So he would have to say, "Alex, what IS may I buy a Vorel?" And state it in the form of a question. Lol :-)
So he would have to say, "Alex, what IS may I buy a Vorel?" And state it in the form of a question. Lol :-)

That is a serious next-level joke. Nice!
Sign In to post comments