Need a name for an item

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need a name for an item for an artifact that allows the user to tap into a vast amount of arcane related information, as well as (logically) adding a + to arcane knowledge checks. The users ability to utilize the artifact is limited their understanding of the arcane, numbers which i haven't gotten into yet. I dont really know what to name it though, or what it should look like. I'm picturing a fist size metal engraved cube. I've thought of names such as the Arcane Cube but they dont really seem all that interesting to me. Any suggestions?
The Well.
The Well.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm not sure about the Well though, i think of a well as a stationary object whereas the Artifact is a small object you can hold in your hand. 
Sure, but the object isn't necessarily the power, just a counduit. Imagine a wellspring of knowledge, the idea the knowledge flows deep and you "dip" into it, taking away only a fraction of what is contained within.

Do you want a name that describes the object, or do you want an epic-sounding name that hints at its use?
I suppose i was hoping for both, but the latter would be preferred yes.
...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
The Arcanists Nous.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Mind

This is perfect, thank you!
The Well of George.
The Arcanists Nous of George.

Now all we need to know to understand the cube is who this legendary George is....

The Well of George.
The Arcanists Nous of George.

Now all we need to know to understand the cube is who this legendary George is....

Nous is actually a greek concept for an overflowing mind of all intelligence and being, and that the ripples and overflow in its essense is the existence of the universe.  Nous is the name (an ironic term) for an unnameable, unlimited and undefineable mind.  In other words, god-but not in the christian sense.  More in a pantheistic sense. 

So to call it George's Nous makes me chuckle a little, but I get the idea. 

I actually like the idea of the item being begotten, not made.  As in the Nous itself actually predates and preexisted the known universe, time itself and the laws of physics flowed forth from it.  Then along came 'George' who managed to find away to lock a small fraction of the nous away into a small metal cube to study it.  He would later die a in a horrible accident while experimenting on the Nous. 
...and in the ancient voice of a million squirrels the begotten chittered "You have set upon yourselves a great and noble task, dare you step further, what say you! What say you!"
Lemarchand's box is the first thing that comes to mind Cool

If you think the object may have some connection to scrying in the manner you party will use it something with 'oracle' would fit.

Maybe something like "The Oracle's Third Eye"

I really like the concept of the Nous, i just dont like the pron. it sounds like "noose" and to anyone i know this refers to a rope tied around someones neck for a hanging. So when my NPC tells the party they are looking for the Nous they will respond by asking if there is going to be a hanging.
In French, "nous" is pronounced "new" (and it means "we")
just steal that, make the 's' silent and you get a double entendre.

(see what i did there?) 
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
In French, "nous" is pronounced "new" (and it means "we")
just steal that, make the 's' silent and you get a double entendre.

(see what i did there?) 

It would take me hours to explain why i needed someone to changed the pronounciation. But i did.
I really like the concept of the Nous, i just dont like the pron. it sounds like "noose" and to anyone i know this refers to a rope tied around someones neck for a hanging. So when my NPC tells the party they are looking for the Nous they will respond by asking if there is going to be a hanging.

Your players have never heard of Homonyms? 
I'm sure they have, but they know i am extremely OCD about word choice. It would be considered "Weird" to use one.
I would have suggested "The Web".

The play on words should be obvious. I hope. 
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Ha that's creative. I could be especially devious and charge them a monthly service fee with increased rates for overages.
Ha that's creative. I could be especially devious and charge them a monthly service fee with increased rates for overages.

Well, that does it. I'm stealing this concept. 
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
^ lol XD