XP for summoned creatures?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last night, I ran an encounter which used a custom solo controller npc that summoned other creatures into combat.  The fight was meant to be a war of attrition that my players would eventually win but would feel like they really had a fun fight.  The solo creature was based on the Fell Taint Void Caller.  I'm including a copy of the custom npc for reference.

Sidenote: I replaced Dream Shield Assault with an encounter reaction power that healed the npc when first bloodied for fear of overwhelming my players.

While the encounter did last a good long while as intended, I am wondering if I shorted my players on XP.  My question is if I should be giving them xp for each minion and champion that was summoned during the fight.  I initially thought that no, since the solo is using them as the main source of damage that they should not be included in the xp reward.  AAfter thinking about it, I'm wondering if I actually should have.
The XP for the solo includes all the things it does, including summoning things.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Then why does this monster who summons other monsters have the same XP value as any other level 7 solo that doesn't summon other monsters?

The answer, I think, is what the OP said ... the solo is using the summoned creatures and enthralled enemies as its main source of damage.  To have it be a regular solo and also have it summon monsters would make it far too powerful for its level.  As it is, this solo works fine and I'd say the 1500 XP is right.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Because it's balanced to do so.

(in theory).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.