Hard Decisions....

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums (fresh meat) and I come to you asking for much needed assistance. Seeing as this is my first post and I am straight out of the can I think this is the appropriate place for this subject. I have just recently got into MTG seeing as a few of my other friends were playing it and have spent alot of money on boosters, tool kits, battle packs, duel decks, intro packs, and even a fat pack! After having organized my cards in a rather large folder and playing a few test games with my friends I thought it would be a good time to upgrade my arsenal pick out the runts of the liter and scour my folder for ones to replace those.
After hours of deciding I finally had in my possession a deck I constructed! I guess sometime during the process a chose the Golargi as my set up. My friends are simply baffled at how great I got and how massive my collection is now. I am currently on a winning streak and I find my friends trying with all there power to beat me.Sorry I dragged this on so long but I guess you can say that was a small introduction of myself again I'm sorry. But anyway whats the problem you ask? Well it's my deck size....I am rather kinda embarrassed about it because I am quite the tactician and realize that the odds of drawing cards I need are significantly lowered.
I currently have 80 cards in my deck that I just can't seem to part with, each of them have brought me to victory and hold a very special place in my deck. I am currently doing fine but I have done research and according to the masses people who use 80 card decks are considered noo.....beginners. I don't want to see my deck fail and I also don't want to be labeled as a beginner (even tho I am one). Not only that but having my deck at least around the 65 mark will make it look more sexy.
So I was thinking maybe I could post my deck or something and let a veteran player or veteran players argue and agree about what should stay and what should go. And again I am sorry for the completely unnecessary intro and if I posted this in the wrong place, if I did can someone point me in the right direction?  Thank You! and looking forward to becoming part of the MTG community :D
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Hello TypicalTulley welcome to the forums and may you find all the help you need here. This is a fine place to start and so would the "New and Returning players" area.

I would like to offer any assistance I can and to do so I think that we will need a deck list and before you post it let me ask you to "autocard" it as well, that is done as follows...

(c)Thragtusk(/c) becomes Thragtusk just replace the ( )'s with [ ]'s cool?
Welcome. Show the list and we can help as we can. Be sure it is 60 cards deck. Have fun. Be sure to look TCGplayer.com and read. Many decks to look
What a wonderful welcome wagon! Ok, well I hope I am doing this "autocard" thing correctly so as a test I should show all my cards like this Forest ? Excuse me if in further conversation I sound like an idiot or if this doesn't turn out right.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
yep, just like that, it worked so now you can post your list and we can see whats going on with it.
I took the liberty and tried to organize everything too the best of my abilities so here you are! Oh and I tried to base my deck around taking advantage of creature tokens and powering up monsters. Also should I make use of this "Import magic Button" to make things easier in the future?

Lands:
 Forest x 15
 Swamp x 15
 Woodland Cemetery x 1

Instant:
 Titanic Growth x 2
 Fog x 1
 Chorus of Might x 1
 Savage Surge x 1
 Druid's Deliverance x 1
 Tower Defense x 1
 Vile Rebirth x 1 
 Cower in Fear x 1
 Murder x 2

Sorcery:
 Bountiful Harvest x 2
 Horncaller's Chant x 1
 See the Horizon x 1
 Ranger's Path x 1
 Fungal Sprouting x 2
 Essence Drain x 1
 Disentomb x 1
 Shadow slice x 1

Enchantment:
 Deaths Presence x 1
 Blood Reckoning x 1
 Stab Wound x 1
 Unhallowed Pact x 1

Planeswalker:
 Liliana of the Dark Realms x 1        Funny story how I got this card, just ask me if you want to hear it lol.

Creatures:
 Adaptive Snapjaw x 1
 Acidic Slime x 1
 Duskdale Wurm x 1
 Ambush Viper x 1
 Gobbling Ooze x 1
 Skarrg Goliath x 1
 Axebane Stag x 1
 Bloodhunter bat x 3
 Daggerdome Imp x 3
 Perilous Shadow x 1
 Grim Roustabout x 1
 Golgari Longlegs x 1
 Korozda Guildmage x 1
 Dreg Mangler x 1
 Corpsejack Menace x 1

Artifacts:
 Elixir of Immortality x 1
 Golgari keyrune x 1
 Kitesail x 1

I hope this turns out ok *fingers crossed*

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I'm afraid to ask the decks your friends were playing that couldn't beat this list.

Honestly.... it's tough to look at a list like this. I have no clue what you're trying to accomplish. Are you an aggro deck? Are you a control deck? you said you have bought all these cards but you have all of these 1 of's and 2 of's. You need consistency.

Some cards here are just awful... 

Shadow Slice?

I suggest you do some research and see what cards are currently legal in Standard if you have a card like that in your deck.

I just don't know.... 
The biggest problem with this deck is that it lacks consistency.  You only have 1 or 2 of most cards.  Also, an ideal deck has exactly 60 cards so that the best cards are drawn more often.  And you don't have a major plan.  I think that you should either focus on getting a lot of creatures or getting big, harder-to-kill ones.  Given that you want to run green/black, getting bigger, meaner creatures is a better approach.

Also, many of your cards aren't the sort of thing that have a big impact on the game.  Ranger's Path, Seek the Horizon, Bountiful Harvest...these cards do very little to help you win.  You don't need super-expensive cards like Thragtusk or Deathrite Shaman to win more, but you still need the right cards that go together.  Corpsejack Menace is a good card to build around, so definitely keep that, and get more if you can.  Simic's evolve mechanic can go well with that, so cards like Adaptive Snapjaw, Experiment One, and Gyre Sage are amplified by the double counters.  Forced Adaptation and Burst of Strength are also cheap cards that work well with the menace.  Of course, adding all of those counters on one creature will make it a desirable target for removal spells like Murder, so you may want to consider Bioshift (for moving counters when needed, and it adds double counters with the menace as well) or Alpha Authority (for hexproofing).

These tips are a good place to start, but it's up to you how you want to play your deck.
For a first deck it is sometimes good to build everything as a 4 of. Now, most if not all competitive decks will never follow the rule of 4 exactly. But people that are new to magic generally find it easier to build a deck around 1 or 2 win conditions that are always consistent in your opening hand and first few draws.

The first thing you need to decide is which cards you want to make a deck around. As was mentioned earlier, [C]Corpsejack Menace[/C] is a great card to build an in expensive deck around as well as [C]Experiment One[/C]. You can get a play set of each for about 5 bucks.

The second thing you wanna do in a first deck is try and build for your first few turns. You probably won't be playing any cards that need ramp so we should and build a 4 turn tempo starting with [C]Experiment One[/C] and building your way up to [C]Corpsejack Menace[/C]. Something like this works...

T1 [C]Experiment One[/C]

T2 [C]Drudge Beetle[/C]

T3 [C]Dead Reveler[/C]

T4 [C]Corpsejack Menace[/C]

This is a simple counter list. Building your Experiment One into a 5/5 by the 4th turn. Also, both of the creatures you are dropping have some small amount of synergy with Corpsejack if you were to play them later in the game. Adding in a 5th creature like [C]Deadbridge Goliath[/C] would also be good. Then maybe a combat trick like [C]Burst of Strength[/C] and then some removal like [C]Abrupt Decay[/C] and you have yourself a semi decent list to start with. 

Unfortunately a deck list like this isn't gonna be any good at FNM or any other event at your local shop. But it is something to start with. Bringing it to FNM will at least show you what your deck is like against people besides your friends and how fast the game can be in a competitive format. I suggest playing around with cards and building plenty of different lists until you know exactly what you wanna do and then start to buy cards that will make the deck better. Or just look at some of the lists people have to offer on other threads. Just try and keep in mind that MTG is one of the biggest holes in your pocket that you will ever come across.
Wow it amazes me how truly my deck really sucked, but I will keep trying and take some of the advice mentioned. However I do have a few questions, whats up with Shadow Slice ? And Bountiful Harvest has saved my ass more than once, along with Seek the Horizon and Ranger's Path which helped me gather those lands for the extra Life Total. I'm not trying to argue but I feel as if all that time I was creating something good when in reality it was worthless..I don't know maybe I just got really lucky in my games so far. And I would love nothing more than to go train and/or battle with local players but I live in the country where games like this are shunned...so you can expect no local card stores.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Wow it amazes me how truly my deck really sucked, but I will keep trying and take some of the advice mentioned. However I do have a few questions, whats up with Shadow Slice ? And Bountiful Harvest has saved my ass more than once, along with Seek the Horizon and Ranger's Path which helped me gather those lands for the extra Life Total. I'm not trying to argue but I feel as if all that time I was creating something good when in reality it was worthless..I don't know maybe I just got really lucky in my games so far. And I would love nothing more than to go train and/or battle with local players but I live in the country where games like this are shunned...so you can expect no local card stores.

Like I said, the decks your friends were playing must have been just awful. What does your deck do against a Turn 1 Champion of the Parish, Turn 2 Burning-Tree Emissary into Mayor of Avabruck?

What about a turn 4 or 5 Angel of Serenity via Unburial Rites?

Why play Shadow Slice when you have cards like Searing Spear, Boros Charm, and Snapcaster Mage to flash them back. You could get twice as much value in that sequence at instant speed before you even cast 1 Shadow Slice at sorcery speed.  

Take some time to research some top 8 lists and try and figure out for yourself why they were successful, then just read some articles and go from there.

Your current list has no synnergy. When you look at your card choices always ask yourself why that card is there and what it is trying to accomplish. Does your current meta prevent that card choice from being good? (IE You run x4Oblivion Ring and x3Detention Sphere but your current meta plays a lot of Naturalize and Acidic Slime, making those relatively good cards not so good anymore)
Want you to know...this is deck help. The list you show is very bad. And it is very hard to help you with this. You just started Magic. Best way is buy cards and start trading. Join group to help you make deck. If you make a better deck...then come down and show to us and we can hopefully make it better

Noticed you run BG which is popular color for Golgari aggro deck

Try making this deck as possible and learn how to play it for long while. It will take half of year to learn about Magic and cards. Here good strong example to make a deck like this

This deck won some games and it is good deck. No promise to beat other strong decks. If you can't afford those card. You can switch for low budget card. Buy cards or draft...keep you going and build a deck
Ok so I made alot of modifications that almost made me cry. I decided since my deck is based off tokens and powering up my creatures using tokens, instants, and the scavenge ability I took advantage of this. My deck is now at the 65 card mark and I'm mildly happy with the changes what do you all think? Also is my deck considered Aggro, Combo, or control? Also remember I am dealing with cards I have only gotten at random (not online shopping).

Updates:20

Instants:3
Bioshift x 1
Burst of Strength x 2

Creatures:12
Drudge Beetle x 3
Adaptive Snapjaw x 2
Korozda Monitor x 1
Ivy Lane Deniizen x 1
Crocanura x 1
Vampire Nighthawk x 1
Ogre Slumlord x 1
Slitherhead x 2
Sluiceway Scorpion x 3
Korozda Guildmage x 1

Artifacts:1
Golgari Keyrune x 1

Ok now here are the cards I removed.

Removed:35

Lands:-10
Forest -5
Swamp -5

Instants:-5
Fog -1
Murder -2
Cower in Fear -1
Vile Rebirth -1

Sorcery:-7
Ranger's Path -1
Bountiful Harvest -2
Seek the Horizon -1
Disentomb -1
Shadow Slice -1
Essence Drain -1

Enchantment:-3
Stab Wound -1
Unhallowed pact -1
Blood Reckoning -1

Creatures:-9
Axebane Stag -1
Ambush Viper -1
Duskdale wurm -1
Skarrg Goliath -1
Perilous Shadow -1
Grim Roustabout -1
Daggerdome Imp -1
Bloodhunter Bat -1
Golgari Longlegs -1

Artifact:-1
Elixir of Immortality -1

So my new deck looks like this.

Lands:21
Forest x 10
Swamp x 10
Woodland Cemetery x 1

Instant:9
Titanic Growth x 2
Chorus of Might x 1
Savage Surge x 1
Druid's Deliverance x 1
Tower Defense x 1 
Bioshift x 1
Burst of Strength x 2

Sorcery:3
Horncaller's Chant x 1
Fungal Sprouting x 2

Enchantment:1
Deaths Presence x 1

Planeswalker:1
Liliana of the Dark Realms x 1

Creatures:26
Adaptive Snapjaw x 3
Acidic Slime x 1
Gobbling Ooze x 1
Bloodhunter bat x 2
Daggerdome Imp x 2
Korozda Guildmage x 2
Dreg Mangler x 1
Corpsejack Menace x 1
Drudge Beetle x 3
Korozda Monitor x 1
Ivy Lane Deniizen x 1
Crocanura x 1
Vampire Nighthawk x 1
Ogre Slumlord x 1
Slitherhead x 2
Sluiceway Scorpion x 3
Experiment One x1

Artifacts:3
Golgari Keyrune[/] x 2[c]Kitesail x 1

Ok I think this list will turn out right...I hope so. 

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
There's really no consistency in the deck still...
But is it better? I'm a guy with very little money I don't feel like spending a **** ton of my savings (right now) so I can get a pro deck, I just want something I can work with and have fun with...
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
No lol Still bad. Start buying cards...that only thing to help you for now. Pro deck is expensive. It would aim at 200-700 bucks. That is why...buy cards lol Drafting maybe be only way to go so you can learn some cards and building a deck. We can't help you if you can't afford cards
If your main way of enjoying the game is sitting at the kitchen table with your buddies, then there's no need for a pro deck. But if that's the type of game you're after, then perhaps the casual forums would be the place to go and post this type of list.
Well I suppose as of right now I will have to buy more cards and play the wait game...upgrade over time and try to keep everyone up to date. I'm not fit to be called a planeswalker lol *walks away in shame*
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
And I would love nothing more than to go train and/or battle with local players but I live in the country where games like this are shunned...so you can expect no local card stores.

If you're just playing with your friends then why are you keeping it Standard legal since there are no organized events you'll be playing in. 
What watebury mentioned earlier, using 4 of every card, is one of the best places to start. It will demonstrate to you how consistency beats pretty much everything. If you could beat your friends everytime with that pile of 80 cards, you could definitely beat then with 9 sets of 4 different cards. Even if they were all commons and uncommons, you would destroy them as long as they had a tiny bit of synergy. Drop the 10 bucks for 9 playsets of commons/uncommons/50 cent rares and watch heads roll. Hell, you could buy a starter deck from Target and I'm sure you could beat them more consistently than you do now.

Your friends will never look at you the same again. If you are the first one in your play group to learn how to build decks you're never going to lose.

Welcome to tbe forums by the way.
What watebury mentioned earlier, using 4 of every card, is one of the best places to start. It will demonstrate to you how consistency beats pretty much everything. If you could beat your friends everytime with that pile of 80 cards, you could definitely beat then with 9 sets of 4 different cards. Even if they were all commons and uncommons, you would destroy them as long as they had a tiny bit of synergy. Drop the 10 bucks for 9 playsets of commons/uncommons/50 cent rares and watch heads roll. Hell, you could buy a starter deck from Target and I'm sure you could beat them more consistently than you do now.

Your friends will never look at you the same again. If you are the first one in your play group to learn how to build decks you're never going to lose.

Welcome to tbe forums by the way.

Thank you and I am happy to be here. After hearing all this about Consistency I will try to the best of my abilties to construct a deck with a very high ratio of 4 card sets, I just need to burn what little cash I have but you make it sound so worth while. :D
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Here, this deck is not standard legal, but it is similar to a deck that won tournaments using absolutely no rares. You can include better, more recent cards, but this is a jumping off point. It is made entirely of commons and uncommons, and earned the name "five dollar deck".

Even if you did order these online (which would include shipping costs) I can't imagine it costing more than 15 bucks. In fact, shipping might cost more than the cards themselves.

Just for information's sake, the above deck would be called a "tempo" deck. Rather than being a control deck, and exhausting your opponent until you can drop something, or an aggro deck, and just trying to win quickly no matter what your opponent plays, you are trying to control the tempo of the game by tripping up your opponent. Cards like unsummon and disperse normally are not good cards because they only set your opponent back by one turn, but with this deck that is the point. You keep putting your opponent off tempo so that they can't play the cards they want to play each turn. The entire time that you're tripping them up you can swing in for 4 with an Invisible Stalker equipped with Silver Inlaid Dagger, or better yet a Transformed Delver equipped with Silver-Inlaid Dagger.

If you were to play this deck you'd steamroll your buddies. If they complain you can show them how your deck only cost pocket change.

More importantly, playing this deck will help you learn why consistency is king.

Oh, Since you're playing casually, do not get hung up on whether you're playing midrange, tempo, aggro-control, combo-control, blah blah blah. It's not important or helpful. The goal of your deck is not to fit within a specific, niche archetype, the goal of your deck is to win.

Essentially, you get three choices when it comes to deck building. Aggressive, control, or combo. I'll reiterate what each is:

Aggressive decks are going to to try and win early on. They rarely have a card that costs more than 4 mana to play, and if they do it is going to win them the game immediately. If the game goes on to long, an aggressive deck will more than likely lose. You're generally looking at between 36 and 40 spells and filling out the remaining cards with lands.

Control decks do just what the name implies, they control the game. Any colors can be used for control, but generally speaking you're going to see control using Blue and being supported by either white, black, or both. Generally speaking they use counter spells, like Dissipate, and mass removal, like Supreme Verdict to crap all over your opponent's plans. Once your opponent is out of gas, a game ending and hard to remove threat, like Grave Titan is dropped to win the game quickly. This is my favorite type of deck, and Blue/Black or Blue/White control will dominate almost every casual deck. Blue/Black control is my go to deck when I'm playing casually since it just ruins whatever most casual players can throw at you.

Combo decks seek to win the game instantly (i.e. infinite, instant damage), or create a situation your opponent cannot deal with (i.e. gaining infinite life). A famous combo is Splinter Twin plus Pestermite. If you enchant the Pestermite and create a copy, you can untap the enchanted one to create a second copy, and then repeat until you have, say, 4 Quadrillion, and then attack with them all.

Figure out which of these sounds best to you, and then look for example of that deck online. Ones that win tournaments are the best place to go, this forum is not known for having good decks.

Wow, sorry for text vomit. I hope this is useful to you. You are the good kind of beginner that people are willing to help out by the way. Rather than rejecting advice you are receptive to it.
When you first build a deck just ask yourself what is it you want to do when playing magic?

Do you enjoy playing games where you can kill your opponents by the 5th or 6th turn with a swarm of creatures? Then you're building an aggro deck.

Do you like a grindier game that plays a good mix of disruption spells and creature spells? Then you're a midrange deck.

Do you like to draw a card, play a land, and say go, holding up mana for countermagic/removal and eventually sweeping away their creatures? Then you're a control deck.  

Pick a style that you enjoy and find cards that fit that style. Here's are a few easy examples.

Supreme Verdict -- Pretty much a staple card in control decks.

Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, Huntmaster of the Fells -- Midrange creatures. Don't win you the game by any means when they come down, but they help you stabilize and provide instant value.

Champion of the Parish, Stromkirk Noble, Experiment One -- 1 mana creatures that put instant pressure on the opponent and have the ability to become legitimate threats. Perfect aggressive creatures.  

Another hard rule if you want to be a better magic player. Your deck is 60 cards, no questions asked. You want the highest % chance to draw the best cards you can, always always cut your deck down to 60 cards.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Another hard rule if you want to be a better magic player. Your deck is 60 cards, no questions asked. You want the highest % chance to draw the best cards you can, always always cut your deck down to 60 cards.

Makihito Mihara wants a word with you

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Makihito Mihara wants a word with you

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

The pilots of the other 99% of winning decks in every other major tournament that had only 60 cards want a word with you. Did you see how many cards the winner of that tournament had in their deck?
Geez lighten up haha
If you're going to try and find outliers for the 60 card rule, you could at least choose Battle of Wits decks.
Very rarely do you see people playing 61 cards, and that generally only happens when the metagame is very well defined and solved or when there has been an abnormally large amount of testing with a deck. Very few metagames ever get to that point, and very rarely do decks get that much testing.
Or you could be playing with the plan of needing that extra card for long games with lots of card draw. Remember hearing about that plan a few years back, but can't remember it.

To the new guy who made the thread- glad you are enjoying Magic. Don't let people tearing your deck apart get to you, it happens to all of us. They're (mostly) just trying to help you. It is also really important to realize what kind of help you are getting from people. Some people are going to give you advice based upon the top, most competetive decks in the format, and compared to those, your deck is trashy (no offence, again, but those decks are filled with really powerful, monetarily expensive cards)

My suggestion is to pick the 8 cards you like the most in your deck, and just play 4 of each, then add land. Alternately, you can pick 10 of those cards, run 5 of them as 4-of each, and then run the other 5 as 3-of each, then add land. Its the quickest, easiest advice that I can give you after seeing your decklist full of 1-of's.
Obviously there are times where you only want one of a card (like your extra-expensive Duskdale Wurm) or you only have access to one copy (like your lilianna) but that starts to get into the territory of more explicit advice I try to avoid giving to the newest of players (because you can learn a LOT about Magic yourself just by building your decks yourself)
I understand why you like Bountiful Harvest (lots of new players love that card, which isn't an insult to you or other new players, just a fact) but do avoid putting more than one or two in your deck.

Your deck definitely got better between your very first iteration and the second one, but I can tell from looking at it you have probably only been playing for a few months (I'm guessing about two). This is bold so you see this, and don't get disheartened. Magic is a tough game, even when you have the best cards. So don't feel bad when people bash your deck because you're playing Drudge Beetle or whatever.
I also understand how it is to play Magic on a tight budget. Here's some advice for you on that topic:
Don't be afriad to purchase one of the preconstructed decks. The Theme (with foil cards visible inside the box) decks tend to be fun for more casual play, as they are built around the mechaincs of the set they are released with. There are also the more competitive precons that are released with each set (The most recent one I can think of is Thrash and Thrive or something like that) which are designed to give you a winning chance at FNM, but still a long way from a completed deck. 

Also, whenever you go to a shop to play Magic, see if there are guys there that will be drafting. Drafting is probably the best way to get cards, and it also helps you to learn a lot about Magic. That said, its really hard to draft compared to just playing, but if you get good at it you esentailly just get free cards when you win. Also, the reason I bring up drafting is because many players will often just leave their commons and uncommons they don't want (commonly called "limited fodder" or "draft trash") lying on the table after they play. Picking this stuff up off the tables esentially gives you free cards, and many stores will buy those cards in lots of 1000 (my local store gives 3 dollars per thousand for this "bulk") and very often people will leave stuff no a table that they could sell to the store for more than that bulk price (a nickel, dime or quarter may not seem like a lot, but it can stack up) 
And to sum up-be careful when trading. Most people aren't scummy, but there will always be people who won't hesitate to trade you their 75 cent rare for your fifteen dollar rare. If you plan to trade, just keep in mind that your cards can very well be worth a decent amount (though 95% of Magic cards aren't worth anything, to reference bulk and limited fodder again) and just be concious of it. 

(at)MrEnglish22

If you're going to try and find outliers for the 60 card rule, you could at least choose Battle of Wits decks.
Very rarely do you see people playing 61 cards, and that generally only happens when the metagame is very well defined and solved or when there has been an abnormally large amount of testing with a deck. Very few metagames ever get to that point, and very rarely do decks get that much testing.
Or you could be playing with the plan of needing that extra card for long games with lots of card draw. Remember hearing about that plan a few years back, but can't remember it.

To the new guy who made the thread- glad you are enjoying Magic. Don't let people tearing your deck apart get to you, it happens to all of us. They're (mostly) just trying to help you. It is also really important to realize what kind of help you are getting from people. Some people are going to give you advice based upon the top, most competetive decks in the format, and compared to those, your deck is trashy (no offence, again, but those decks are filled with really powerful, monetarily expensive cards)

My suggestion is to pick the 8 cards you like the most in your deck, and just play 4 of each, then add land. Alternately, you can pick 10 of those cards, run 5 of them as 4-of each, and then run the other 5 as 3-of each, then add land. Its the quickest, easiest advice that I can give you after seeing your decklist full of 1-of's.
Obviously there are times where you only want one of a card (like your extra-expensive Duskdale Wurm) or you only have access to one copy (like your lilianna) but that starts to get into the territory of more explicit advice I try to avoid giving to the newest of players (because you can learn a LOT about Magic yourself just by building your decks yourself)
I understand why you like Bountiful Harvest (lots of new players love that card, which isn't an insult to you or other new players, just a fact) but do avoid putting more than one or two in your deck.

Your deck definitely got better between your very first iteration and the second one, but I can tell from looking at it you have probably only been playing for a few months (I'm guessing about two). This is bold so you see this, and don't get disheartened. Magic is a tough game, even when you have the best cards. So don't feel bad when people bash your deck because you're playing Drudge Beetle or whatever.
I also understand how it is to play Magic on a tight budget. Here's some advice for you on that topic:
Don't be afriad to purchase one of the preconstructed decks. The Theme (with foil cards visible inside the box) decks tend to be fun for more casual play, as they are built around the mechaincs of the set they are released with. There are also the more competitive precons that are released with each set (The most recent one I can think of is Thrash and Thrive or something like that) which are designed to give you a winning chance at FNM, but still a long way from a completed deck. 

Also, whenever you go to a shop to play Magic, see if there are guys there that will be drafting. Drafting is probably the best way to get cards, and it also helps you to learn a lot about Magic. That said, its really hard to draft compared to just playing, but if you get good at it you esentailly just get free cards when you win. Also, the reason I bring up drafting is because many players will often just leave their commons and uncommons they don't want (commonly called "limited fodder" or "draft trash") lying on the table after they play. Picking this stuff up off the tables esentially gives you free cards, and many stores will buy those cards in lots of 1000 (my local store gives 3 dollars per thousand for this "bulk") and very often people will leave stuff no a table that they could sell to the store for more than that bulk price (a nickel, dime or quarter may not seem like a lot, but it can stack up) 
And to sum up-be careful when trading. Most people aren't scummy, but there will always be people who won't hesitate to trade you their 75 cent rare for your fifteen dollar rare. If you plan to trade, just keep in mind that your cards can very well be worth a decent amount (though 95% of Magic cards aren't worth anything, to reference bulk and limited fodder again) and just be concious of it. 

Not only was this extremely helpful, direct, and well written but it summed up a few questions of mine that were not answered, as well as understanding why I was having such a hard time letting bountiful harvest go and other such cards. I would like to know more about this drafting business just in case I want to head out of town to pay a visit at the local card store but that can wait for a new forum topic post in the appropriate section. Also you seem very good with Magic market and numbers so I going to re-read over your post to get a better understanding. Thanks Mate, thanks all of you for trying to help, wait scratch trying everyone here has helped me gain  much needed knowledge (even tho by the way you all are making it sound there is a **** ton more to learn ;) ) not only with constructing a deck but with different deck types, marketing and budget, some Magic lingo, and a few other things. Well lets wrap this topic up and I hope to see you all around here in other places! As of right now...I gotz to go scour my binder for cards that will increase what little power my deck has.....taking off these card sleeves will be a pain in the arse xD 
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Drafting is pretty novel- the idea is that 8 people buy 3 packs of Magic cards, and sit down at a table. Each player opens up one of the three packs, and picks a card from it. You then pass the cards to the player on your left (the guy to your right does the same) and you then pick a card from the pack you were just given. You do this until that pack of magic cards is no longer available to pick from, and you open the next pack. You pick the same way, except you instead pass to the right. Then pack three you pass to the left again. After all the cards have been picked, you build a 40 card deck (usually having 16 land and 24 spells) and play each other. Stores commonly run drafts where you pay 12-13 dollars to play, and first and second place get prizes. It isn't uncommon for prizes for first to be enough to draft again without paying, and it also isn't uncommon for the finalists to split prizes so they can both draft for free again and get a little bit extra.
It requires you to look at cards from a completely different angle, though, and there are many nuances that are hard to pick up that are completely alien to regular Magic. However, its a rather easy way for new players to get cards, and is a lot more fun that just buying a pack and opening the cards.

And if you think moving sleeves from a deck of cards is tough, you have no clue. Try putting sleeves on a thousand cards. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments