[Contest] The Simic Laboratory #2

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is the Simic laboratory? If you participated in the first contest, you'd already know. But in case you didn't, it is a celebration on strange and fascinating creature types.

Each contest, you'll be given some creature types, and you'll make a card with all of those types. Cards will be judged on flavor (how well does your card actually fit its creature types?) and mechanics.

[sblock Past Winners]#1 - Dr. D [/sblock]

Criteria: Make a Gorgon Cyclops. You have 24 hours from this post.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
I like how very few people bother to refer to me by my full name, which is kinda similar to real life in a way.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
The " Tolarian Stonegaze doesn’t untap during its controller’s next untap step." is basicly this guy having only one eye it takes a while to petrify more than one guy. Tried to keep it simple and fun to play most of all.

Tolarian Stonegaze 
Creature - Gorgon Cyclops Mutant
Vigilance
Creatures your opponent controls lose haste.
Tolarian Stonegaze attacks each turn if able.
T: Tolarian Stonegaze gains deathtouch until the end of turn. Tolarian Stonegaze doesn’t untap during its controller’s next untap step.

The Wizards of Tolaria sucessfuly fused a gorgon and a cyclops, to celebrate the creature made them statues.
4/6

Cyclopian Stonemaster 
Creature - Gorgon Cyclops
 Haste
: target creature becomes a 0/2 defender.
3/2

I don't know how these two can really mix? I mean, the elf and the angel both have specific abilities that fit each one, but these are a litle less put out. 

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Statue Tosser
Creature - Cyclops Gorgon
, Sacrifice a nontoken artifact creature: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player
Whenever a nonartifact creature would die, you may instead put that creature under your control. It gains defender and becomes a colorless artifact in addition to its other types. Its activated abilities can't be activated.
4/4
Ok,
1) AWESOME!  This is like, the best possible combo ever, mythology buffs unite!

and

2) This is a slight buzzkill....I feel like this combo would be a...Beholder Cry.

That's ok, we need more EYES!

Eye of Queens    
Creature - Gorgon Cyclops Eye
Whenever Eye of Queens attacks, destroy target creature an opponent controls.
6/3

Given Novablast Wurm, I think this is fair.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I'm going to play the "a being with one eye has no depth perception, so it will think the largest creature is actually the closest one (and thus the most imminent threat)".

So I wind up with a sort of hybrid Royal Assassin / Topple .

Monodusa

Creature - Gorgon Cyclops Assassin
: Exile target other creature with the greatest power. (If two or more other creatures are tied for greatest power, target any one of them.)

1/2
Rhuk'Rhuk Everseer -- :BM::RM::GM:
Legendary Creature - Gorgon Cyclops (MR)

Whenever Rhuk'Rhuk Everseer attacks or blocks, players can't cast spells until the end of combat.
:BM::GM:, :T:: Remove target attacking or blocking creature from combat. It becomes a 0/X where X is it's toughness, gains defender, and loses all other abilities.
:BM::RM:, :T:: Destroy target creature with defender.

4 / 7
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

One-eyed Gorgan    :B::R:

Creature - Gorgon Cyclops (U)

One-eyed Gorgan attacks each turn if able.
:B::R:,:T::Put a petrification counter on target creature. It gains defender and becomes a colorless artifact in addition to its other types. Its activated abilities can’t be activated. (A creature with defender can’t attack.)

4/3 

Artistic Disclaimer

Please note that none of this art is created by me. It is taken from the internet just to add an image to the cards.
The art is still owned by the artist.If you are the artist of the art, please contact me if you would like it removed.

The Artist Line is only used to show it is a card I have rendered.

What is a gorgan?

Submission:

Mlaskya, the Gorglops
Legendary Creature - Gorgon Cyclops
, : Put a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~, : Put a petrification counter on target creature. It loses its power, toughness and all of its abilities and becomes a colorless artifact (it's no longer a creature).
"What she lacks in versatility and speed, she makes up for with sheer firepower."
4/4

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Gorgons have strong functional identies in magic (they kill creatures by exiling, turning to stone, deathtouching), while cyclops is all over the map, living in red, green and black.  It seems they stuck on Cyclops to the creatures that have it based on the art more than anything else.  In lore, the cyclopi were responsible for providing the gods with magical items to help defeat the Titans.

Ol' One Eye
Deathtouch, vigilance
When Ol' One Eye enters the battlefield, attach all equipment on the battlefield to it.
: Attach target equipment to target creature.
5/5

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Experiment Syaringan
Protection from creatures whose controller controls no other creatures
"Only fight Syaringan if you are companied; if you are alone, always run." -Common Ninja Wisdom
5/3

going by Masked Gorgon's protection.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Yeah, I considered making a cyclops with gorgon powers in stead of a gorgon with one eye, but it didn't feel very resonant. So why do we care the gorgon has one eye? I have two trains of thought here. The first has already been touched on here, and is more fully developed for me currently, so I will present it for now. That idea is of course that a gorgon with one eye can only look at one thing at a time. There are two problems with this idea. Flavorfully, you have to ask yourself if you've ever seen a Gorgon with a lazy eye that can look at two things at once. Mechanically, it is difficult for creatures to have such singular focus. "As long as ~ is tapped" has some history with magic, but I decided to go back to the beginning and to the bleeding edge of Magic tech all at the same time.

Lim-Dra's Gaze
Tribal Enchantment - Gorgon Cyclops (R)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
Whenever a creature your opponent control's attacks, you may attach Lim-Dra's Gaze to that creature. 

Ince her gaze is upon you, you are dead. Sure, its slow, one eye isn't as powerful as two, but you aren't going anywhere. On the other hand, sudden movements could draw her gaze to someone else, and maybe you could break free...
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Yeah, I considered making a cyclops with gorgon powers in stead of a gorgon with one eye, but it didn't feel very resonant. So why do we care the gorgon has one eye? I have two trains of thought here. The first has already been touched on here, and is more fully developed for me currently, so I will present it for now. That idea is of course that a gorgon with one eye can only look at one thing at a time. There are two problems with this idea. Flavorfully, you have to ask yourself if you've ever seen a Gorgon with a lazy eye that can look at two things at once. Mechanically, it is difficult for creatures to have such singular focus. "As long as ~ is tapped" has some history with magic, but I decided to go back to the beginning and to the bleeding edge of Magic tech all at the same time.

Lim-Dra's Gaze
Tribal Enchantment - Gorgon Cyclops (R)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
Whenever a creature your opponent control's attacks, you may attach Lim-Dra's Gaze to that creature. 

Ince her gaze is upon you, you are dead. Sure, its slow, one eye isn't as powerful as two, but you aren't going anywhere. On the other hand, sudden movements could draw her gaze to someone else, and maybe you could break free...

If something is declared as an attacker and then your card is attached, are they no longer attacking?

Love the card. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Mahex from the Pit

Provoke
: Destroy target creature blocking ~.

"You think you know of terror? Of rage? Of fear? I was born in the dark. I have known darkness all my life and it knows of me. What do you see around you? You see light. Look into my eye and you will see why darkness is afraid of me..."

4/4
snip

If something is declared as an attacker and then your card is attached, are they no longer attacking?

Love the card. 

Thanks!

They are still attacking though. It takes a little time for her gaze to warm up (I mean, you have to wait all the way until your upkeep for even a slight knee tremble!).
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Nurduk, Iris of the Void
Deathtouch, trample
To cover your eyes from his stare is to hold your breath in the ocean.
5/5

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Pretend I remembered to grade this.

I'll do dis stuff either sometime this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Mire Pit-Fighter -
Deathtouch
~ can't be blocked except by three or more creatures.
5/2 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.