Two-Handed Weaponry and Dual Implement Spellcaster.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. First thread creation, yay!

Anyway, there is a home campaign I am joining, where things are much harder than the ones I played with that group before. The six players are optimizing as best they can to, y'know, survive.

I have decided to play a Drow Hybrid Blackguard/Sorcerer, full-on Permafost build as a melee striker/controller. Deity Raven Queen , Theme Primordial Adept, PP Blizzard Mage & ED Winter Sovereign.

Now comes the questions! The first one is... I plan to grab Arcane Implement Proficiency to turn my Fullblade I will be using into an implement. Here is the kicker. I would love to snag Dual Implement Spellcaster, but the feat specifically states 'When you use an arcane attack power and you are wielding a magic implement in each hand' to get the benefit.

The question is, is it possible to get the feat and use it with a fullblade and a Holy symbol/ki focus? Wielding the fullblade as a weapon definitely takes two hands, but as an implement would that still be the case since you aren't slinging it around? Specifically in the case of counting the fullblade as the offhand one?

If not possible it isn't the end of the world-- Ill just snag White Lotus Master Hindrance in its place.

The second question kind of goes with the mention of the White Lotus feats. As a Hybrid I have to pretty much pick a single at-will from both classes. Is it possible through some feat, theme or item to tack on the Arcane Keyword to a Blackguard at-will? Wanna place it on Enfeebling Strike so I can grab Power of Death and Power of Winter to tack on to it eventually, yet still get White Lotus effectiveness.

Thanks for the answers!
No, DIS doesn't work with one weapon in two hands.

Staff Fighting is one way round it, but Staves aren't particularly good weapons so...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
No, DIS doesn't work with one weapon in two hands.

Staff Fighting is one way round it, but Staves aren't particularly good weapons so...

That's not quite what he was asking though. He was asking if he could hold the full blade in one hand to use as an implement (which is allowed, just like staves or spears as implements) and then combine it with a holy symbol.  I think the answer to that is yes only if you actually hold the holy symbol in the other hand, because DIS requires you to hold an implement in each hand. 
  You also could hold any other  implement in the other hand, but the problem is switching it in and out of your hand so you can also wield the Full Blade as a weapon.
Yeah, what Zan said is what I was looking for. to simply hold an implement I thought might work like how staves or spears function. Though while I have been browsing and talking to another DM friend of mine we found out some good ideas.

Snagging a Warding Symbol was a suggestion of his with the spare feat. Gives some extra to-hit on most (if not all at certain points of the build) against fortitude. Also some extra defenses on a hit isn't bad for the aspect I am going for.

He also said if I was insistent on getting DIS, getting a Dynamic Fullblade was a good idea. If I need to long-range harass and deal out heavy DPR, I could use the encounter, turn it into a longsword or something, then attain the DIS effect by holding the holy symbol in one hand and the changed weapon in the other.

The third of course was the best Idea, which was just grab the heavy blade implementing and go for Master Riposte funtimes.

The second question remains though-- is there a method to tack on the Arcane Keyword to an at-will?

Thanks for the answers, folks! I appreciate the input thusfar.
I don't know of any way to add a Power Source keyword (Divine, Arcane, Martial, Primal or Psionic) to any power, as they are inherent to the power and the class the power comes from.  The only thing I could think of that I might just not know of would be some sort of multiclass or hybrid thing that let you take a power from another class and change its keyword, but I'm not aware of one.
I don't know of any way to add a Power Source keyword (Divine, Arcane, Martial, Primal or Psionic) to any power, as they are inherent to the power and the class the power comes from.  The only thing I could think of that I might just not know of would be some sort of multiclass or hybrid thing that let you take a power from another class and change its keyword, but I'm not aware of one.

Power of Arcana, but it is limited to the specific powers it lists.

Speaking of, "Power of..." feats don't stack, you can only use one at a time. So the last paragraph in the OP doesn't work.
Speaking of, "Power of..." feats don't stack, you can only use one at a time. So the last paragraph in the OP doesn't work.

What, really? Huh, Well I learned something today right thar.

Well the Power of Winter is the important one anyway... though that does make Enfeebling less desirable since the effect of the hit to it is already useless to me. Going with an Arcane Deity to make Virtuous an Arcane Weapon at-will seems to be the best choice now. Was trying to avoid being locked into Frost/Chill Wind/Frostbrand Weapon, getting one couldn't hurt. I mean none of the three are terrible anyway.

Well that sounds like everything is fixed now! I'll justn eed to adjust the whole backstory of the guy to more fit along with his new Deity.

Thanks everyone! <3
Yeah, what Zan said is what I was looking for. to simply hold an implement I thought might work like how staves or spears function. Though while I have been browsing and talking to another DM friend of mine we found out some good ideas.

In which case, yes it works, but only if you hold the Holy Symbol in your off-hand - so you wouldn't then be able to attack with weapon attacks using the fullblade without some sheathing/drawing monkeying about.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

What, really?

Yup. Here is the rule Drunia referred to;

DP108 Domain Feats: If you have more than one domain feat associated with the same power, that power can benefit from only one domain feat at a time. You decide which domain feat applies each time you use the power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

In which case, yes it works, but only if you hold the Holy Symbol in your off-hand - so you wouldn't then be able to attack with weapon attacks using the fullblade without some sheathing/drawing monkeying about.

Holy Symbol by default says it goes around your neck. Seems simple enough to grab it and and release it as a free action, stays around your neck. Would contribute to some great holy warrior fluff even, tons of actual religious people are constantly grabbing rosaries or crosses or what not that are around their necks.
Which is all very well, but not mechanically relevant.
Which is all very well, but not mechanically relevant.

Changing grip is a free action (explicitly). So letting go of the Fullblade with one hand is easy. Are you really going to try and argue that reaching up and grabbing something around your neck with the now free hand is not a free action?
I'm going to say that 'hanging around your neck' is not a game term.

The action for removing something from a slot and putting it in hand is not defined.
Retrieve or Stow an Item
         Action: Minor action.
         Easily Accessible: A creature can use this action to retrieve an item from someplace on its own person, most commonly in a belt pouch or a backpack, or to stow an item in such a location. (RC244)
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I'm going to say that 'hanging around your neck' is not a game term.

The action for removing something from a slot and putting it in hand is not defined.

It is how Holy Symbols are described in the book. If it isn't a game term, then you defautl to the standard English definitions. Adjusting grip on versatile/etc weapons is a free action. What it involves is reaching a hand out to grab something that is conveniently within reach. Which describes what you're doing if you grab a Holy Symbol that is hanging around your neck. At worst it is a minor action to grab the symbol, and a free action to release and resume wielding the Fullblade 2hed. No shenanigans neccesary, very simple to do.
If it isn't a game term, then you defautl to the standard English definitions

It's not always that simple.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If it isn't a game term, then you defautl to the standard English definitions

It's not always that simple.

Yes, it is. Either something is a defined game term in which case you use that definition, or you default to the standard English definitions. Because words mean things.
Again, talking in absolutes breaks the game. See all the discussions on the meaning of 'prerequisite'.

But it's a minor action to retrieve and a minor action to stow. It would be a free action to drop, but seeing as dropping means that it falls to the floor in your square, it being semantically tied around your neck does not prevent this.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.