Mixing Lazy Lord and Permastealth: Possible? Awesome?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
2 Questions (1st one is more of a rules question, sorry):

1: Do powers such as direct the strike (or, for the build thumbnailed below, spirit infusion) count as an attack and therefore not blow stealth?

2: If so, wouldn't it be easy and amazing to build a perma-stealth lazy-lord? If it looks kosher, I'll post my build--a drow who is actually a Shaman|Bard/Rogue who, round 1 does cloud of darkness, hides, then uses Chameleon (lvl 6 rogue power, to stay hidden) then with spirit infusion + spirit of vigor and virtue of cunning + agile opportunist (taken by allies) I'm spamming my allies awesome MBAs twice per round, granting INT THP, plus using my available minor to keep my allies on their feet... I haven't played it yet, but it seems fun.
...and like all permastealthers you will leave eating the damage mostly to your comrades, which makes it harder for the group as a whole.
1: it say's "attack" and therefor will break stealth.

2: yes. And something may still be possible. Utility powers do not break stealth, and there's a few that grant attacks. Also, you can attack then hide, and I belive you can use direct the strike as an OA.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I don't think there's a way to use DTS as an OA, actually - the only one I could think of would be HBO, and DTS doesn't have the Weapon keyword, so HOB doesn't work.  Unlike Commander's Strike, which would.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
@ mellored: it's possible to get direct the strike as an OA, how? Okay, yes being lazy is still an attack, so I have to go back to the normal permastealth stuff and see how I can get that to mix with a lazy leader... preferably before he needs to buy a shadow band. I may even build him as a halfling so that having a mark of healing actually makes sense... I'll review the boards + the perma-stealth thread, but tips would be nice too.

@king in crimson: Agreed, but my experience is that so long as the leader stays up the party survives... besides it is my defender's job to soak up damage, that's what we pay him for... so I don't necessarily agree that it will be harder for the group.
I have all the answers.

Ninth Legion Student (Lesser Style) let's you use DtS as an OA.  

More amusingly Moradin's Forge (Greater Style) and Arkhosian Fang Commander (Greater Sytle) let you use Hail of Steel and Death from Two Sides as OAs respectively. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
You just need to use a one handed pick or spear to have it be an OA.  And spears can take the feat in paragon to attack a nad with an mba.
Lazy doesn't care what weapon your using.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

But the feat that allows you to use direct the strike as an OA does.
Doesn't work, if you got Impaling Spear. Your ally got to have it, since he makes the attack that you granted him.
@king in crimson: Agreed, but my experience is that so long as the leader stays up the party survives... besides it is my defender's job to soak up damage, that's what we pay him for... so I don't necessarily agree that it will be harder for the group.

You're spending likely significant resources to be permastealth instead of being a better leader. And encouraging the opponent to focus fire on your teammates, which will use up more resources and faster(as they keep dropping)

What people actually want most of the time that they say permastealth is that they want 2-3 rounds worth of +5 to defenses. Because that's the kind of lure that gets opponents to target you, then makes it really difficult for them to succeed.

So they need to change focus fire targets, which is usually one of the worst possible scenarios.
Theres also the problem of it turning off a good portion of your features...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I imagine the fact that a few of the Warlord's goodies require an ally that can see/hear you to work might also be at odds with this idea.
I imagine the fact that a few of the Warlord's goodies require an ally that can see/hear you to work might also be at odds with this idea.

Yup. As noted 2 posts above.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
yeah, I tried doing a build, and it's pretty worthless...

The reason for this build was that I am building a Riposte Strike focused character in a 2 man party and I thought having a hidden leader would be really awesome, but in the end it is prob easier to have the Ripose Stike character account for a visible ally. 
I don't think you need to hide from your allies. Though it rules out invisibility.

Also, you just need to make sure to get something for your stealth investment. OA's could certainly work.

guides
Power
my builds

Also, pixie.

guides
Power
my builds

I don't think you need to hide from your allies. Though it rules out invisibility. Also, you just need to make sure to get something for your stealth investment. OA's could certainly work.

Well, before you actually couldn't hide from your allies (stealth was specifically vs enemies). In the RC it says "Creatures." So... yeah, you're Hidden from your allies, as well now. Unfortunate.
Can you specify which creatures?

guides
Power
my builds

Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter if my non-leader buddies can see me? Even if it does matter, couldn't i compensate with one of the many easy ways of getting telepathy?
In other words, if you wanna do Permastealth, just invest in the Runepriest's Protective Scroll and spam your way to victory with it. Cheaper and a better use of resources.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
There's a heroic tear shaman feat called Fading Spirit in Primal Power that lets your Spirit Companion get hidden when you are hidden. You need to be a gnome to get it, though.