Warlock skills/traits... ?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, 
I've been playing DnD for about a month in 3.0 and 3.5 and our Dm wants us to move into 4.0
Simple enough? Nope.
I finished creating my warlock Character (Half elf, high cha/int/con)I understand the basics.

And I know this is probably a really stupid question but, it says under the  " Class traits: role" section in the description that warlocks evade attacks by "Flying,teleporting or turning Invisible" Yet, reading into the spell on the warlock I see no reference to anything like that.
Then I flipped to the traits section in player guide no mention. 

Please explain how I am missing this.

Thanks

~Enlorand

Okay, 
I've been playing DnD for about a month in 3.0 and 3.5 and our Dm wants us to move into 4.0
Simple enough? Nope.
I finished creating my warlock Character (Half elf, high cha/int/con)I understand the basics.

And I know this is probably a really stupid question but, it says under the  " Class traits: role" section in the description that warlocks evade attacks by "Flying,teleporting or turning Invisible" Yet, reading into the spell on the warlock I see no reference to anything like that.
Then I flipped to the traits section in player guide no mention. 

Please explain how I am missing this.

Warlocks have a number of evasion spells as they level up. Teleportation and turning invisible (after a fashion, in flavor, if not mechanics) are available at level 1. One of the Warlock Pacts allows the Warlock to teleport any time a Cursed enemy drops to zero hit points. All Warlocks have an ability called Shadow Walk, which grants them concealment (they "blend into the shadows") if they more more than 3 squares from where they started.

Abilities like Flight and true invisibility are usually reserved for higher level effects, but , IIRC, there are a few lower level Warlock attacks that render them invisible to the target of the attack.

This is a case of descriptive fluff vs actual rules text... A fair number of warlock powers will let you do these things, but doing these things isn't necessarily a core aspect of the class.
 For example, the Fey Pact warlock's Pact Boon lets you teleport when you kill a target Cursed by you. As mentioned, Shadow Walk gives you concealment when you move. And there are some powers that allow you to become invisible and others that let you fly - the Fey Pact at-will power Eyebite makes you invisible to the target you just hit until the end of your next turn.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

There is a lv2 utillity for invisibility until the end of your action.
Enough to hit someone with combat advantage or slip past a guard
Also there is a lv2 utillity for teleport 5 then +2 to your defenses until end of next turn.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Feypack Warlock turn invisible to their hit target with the Eyebite power. Warlocks are all about mobility and get a lot of options for it (especially feylocks, who give up more heavy damage for said mobility). In 4e things like invisibility or teleportation tend to be in-combat, 1 turn type of effects. More long term powers like distance teleporting fall under the pervue of Rituals.

If you enjoyed Warlock in 3.5, chances are you'll love 4e Warlock as IMHO its easily the best implementation of the class amongst all editions that include it. (3e, 4e & pathfinder).  
The text at the beginning of the class is a teaser - it's designed to get you hooked.  It's giving you a taste of what high-level warlocks are, not what you're granted at 1st.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition