[DGM-ICD] Melek, Izzet Paragon

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
i.imgur.com/o2jy8jO.jpg

:R:

Melek, Izzet Paragon is unblockable.

Whenever Melek deals combat damage to a player, chose one - Melek deals 2 damage divided as you chose among one or two target creatures and/or players; or draw a card.

2/2

Image Discredited:   forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=1...

Electrolyze sorta on the card is fun. 
i.imgur.com/o2jy8jO.jpg

lol, an unblockable 2/2 that has last thoughts ciphered on it. But is izzet, so y'know. Also a 3 drop for izzet?!! xD 
looks good
proud member of the 2011 community team
If this is real;
Shadowmage Infiltrator was great, and this does more things than he did. 
Yes this is awesome.

LEGENDARY WEIRD.
If this is real;
Shadowmage Infiltrator was great, and this does more things than he did. 

This card won't block like Finkle did, that's for sure. 
Yes this is awesome.

LEGENDARY WEIRD.

The only thing that could make this better is if it were a Legendary Weird Wizard. My mind would have been blown and I would have insta-bought two playsets.

As to the card's abilities, I'm happy that this is probably legitimately the best they could have done with this card short of just reprinting Electrolyze. Regardless of whether it sees standard (or any other format) play or not, I am happy that this is what we've got.

It is a little dissapointing that he doesn't have quite the synergy with Overload that Ruric-Thar has with Bloodrush.
I write a webcomic. That is all.
Wow, this guy is fantastic (if real). He'll see play.

I may even want to build a Voltron EDH around him. I've always loved Ophidian-esque effects.

It is a little dissapointing that he doesn't have quite the synergy with Overload that Ruric-Thar has with Bloodrush.

But drawing cards has synergy with everything! Wink

Oh, did I mention:

LEGENDARY WEIRD
Wow, this guy is fantastic (if real). He'll see play.

I may even want to build a Voltron EDH around him. I've always loved Ophidian-esque effects.

But drawing cards has synergy with everything!

not everything.

Hellbent is sad =( 

But drawing cards has synergy with everything!

While true, I was more referring to blatant synergy rather than in-general synergy. He'll be a beast in RUG.
I write a webcomic. That is all.
1RU

Rebound

deals two damage to target player

Draw a card, or electrolyze 

Honestly: opportunity missed. This could've been really cool. Gelectrode remains the coolest Weird.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Huh... unblockably swinging for four damage each turn for three mana is fine in my books.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Curves nicely into Rakdos, Lord of Riots. Legendary weird is a plus. Should be a staple commander for years to come, and hopefully sees Standard play.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
And now I have a commander for when I go R/U
Neat- I've always wanted Electrolyze to have legs.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
So, he's a Weird of Fire and Ice? I have to admit, I was expecting more interaction with instants and sorceries. Between the two Ravnica blocks only one Izzet legendary has interacted with spells at all, Tibor and Lumia. His abilities seem to suggest blue just a tad over red. But he'll make a great UR aggro creature.

Weird of Fire or Ice.

I <3 it for something Grixis controlly.
This card is sweetness; even if it doesn't interact with instants and sorceries, it feels very R/U. 
Also, an Chaos pointed out: LEGENDARY WIERD! 

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Now that I think about it, they probably want the players to be able to play guild cards together, so they made sure Melek, Izzet Paragon can play nicely with Ruric-Thar, the Unbowed.

This is unconfirmed, and I doubt it's real. I don't think blatant undercosting is an Izzet thing.
I like this a lot. Would have liked it more if it had a Merfolk subtype, but I knew it was going to be Weird or Wizard, or both. Hoping it's real.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
This is unconfirmed, and I doubt it's real. I don't think blatant undercosting is an Izzet thing.

but then after Dimir, even Izzet seems undercosted

So another neat fellow to pair with Nightshade Peddler?
Wow... Just wow...

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

This is not Electrolyze attached to a creature. People seem to be missing where it says choose one.

You don't get the burn and the card, one or the other.

Still a cool idea though.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
This is not Electrolyze attached to a creature. People seem to be missing where it says choose one.

Well, if you choose draw a card, then technically it's electrolyze but the damage is solely on 1 player. 

Think of it as 2+ electrolyze damage or draw a card. 

Well, if you choose draw a card, then technically it's electrolyze but the damage is solely on 1 player. 

Think of it as 2+ electrolyze damage or draw a card. 

got 'em!
I think that it's fake, because it's not only rather strong, but also because they still regret putting option #02 on Umezawa's Jitte.. Also, it's not 50% red / 50% blue, since red prevents creatures from blocking in different ways! :/
I think that it's fake, because it's not only rather strong, but also because they still regret putting option #02 on Umezawa's Jitte.. Also, it's not 50% red / 50% blue, since red prevents creatures from blocking in different ways! :/

While he definitely leans more towards blue he definitely is Red/Blue.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
As far as I know, each of the 30 previous guild champions / guild leaders were perfectly 50% first color / 50% second color, otherwise they wouldn't represent such two-colored guilds well enough..
Both of the Ghost Council cards definitely lean more towards black than white so it deifnitely isn't all of them. I'm too lazy to look through all of them to find any others that aren't perfectly 50/50 but I feel like there are one or two more that I can't recall offhand. The main reason the old champions were so even between their colours was mostly because they cared about each of their colours individually, and often gave different effects based on those colors ie. Tibor and Lumia. Ruric Thar shows us this isn't the case this time around and has a bit of a red lean himself so I don't think this is out of the question. Even though red usually gets it through effects like Wave of Indifference or Madcap Skills, hard to block is definitely something shared by red and blue. Putting both on the same card is useless so them going with the stronger of the two doesn't bug me any more than Izzet Charm having blue looting instead of red.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Good comparison with the Jitte.

The previous guild champions were necessarily 50/50 in a sense because they had an ability that related to each color. The guild leaders, on the other hand, are just creatures. Borborygmos does not have a red ability, for example.

You have a bit of a point on this Melek in the sense that he could be used as a mono blue creature if you always choose to draw a card.

There's also very little precedent for modal choices on damage triggers. Putrid Warrior has the lose life / gain life dichotomy, while Blizzard Specter has the established specter ability and the choice exists to deal with one of the weaknesses of that ability. Melek has no reason to have a modal choice here, it would make more sense to up his cost and make the trigger actually Electrolyze.

This Melek is a classic YmtC case. I'm calling it fake.   

Ruric Thar has two mono-green and two mono-red abilities, Ghost Council Of Orzhova + Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Obzedat, Ghost Council have only white-black abilities, Borborygmos has only (remember the many red vampires!) red-green abilities.. This card really sounds like YMTC, Wizards would combine the blue-red ability #02 with a blue-red ability #01, here are some examples:

1) "Whenever Melek attacks, it can't be blocked this turn except by target creature defending player controls."
2) "Whenever Melek attacks, it can't be blocked this turn except by X creatures, where X is the number of creatures defending player controls."
3) "Whenever Melek attacks, it can't be blocked this turn except by target untapped creature defending player controls."
4) "Whenever Melek attacks, it can't be blocked this turn except by X creatures, where X is the number of untapped creatures defending player controls."
Why not just Noggle Bandit or Pathrazer of Ulamog for u/r unblockability?

But I really don't think that they're counting abilities. Chorus of the Conclave has one mono green and one green white ability. Razia, Boros Archangel has one red and three white abilities.   
Is there precendant for a charm style wording on a trigger effect? The - I mean?
Yeah, Noggle Bandit comes with a very simple blue-red evasion ability! ^.^ I don't 100% agree on Chorus Of The Conclave + Razia, Boros Archangel, but let's use your numbers and then consider their power + toughness in addition to what you said, and then it's more obvious they're 50% first color / 50% second color.. It's pretty difficult to decide that for these other cards, but regarding the fake (?) card that we're talking about here, it's rather obvious that it's a blue-red ability plus a mono-blue ability! :/ Hey Flopfoot, you make really good points from a designer's perspective when suspecting that cards are fake, did Wizards ever surprise you with a bad YMTC design not being fake?
I hope this is real, but something tells me this isn't. Oh well, let's wait and see then. 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13