Something's Wurmy

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Worldspine Wurm vs. Autochthon Wurm

Initial Assumptions:

1. Typically Green gets efficient on/ahead of curve creatures (e.g. Trained Armodon, Krosan Colossus, Krosan Cloudscraper).
2. Multicolor creatures offer benefits that you normally wouldn't see in either color alone.
3. Mythic Rares typically have a higher power level to cost ratio when compared to rares.
4. Power creep exists.

Having laid out these assumptions, I guess it makes sense that a mythic wurm with a mono-color cost could theoretically be way better than a multicolor rare that costs more, but did Wizards go too far here?

With the presence of mana acceleration in green (and you would most likely be playing green with either of these cards) the benefit of Convoke doesn't seem to outweigh the fact that Worldspine Wurm costs 4 less, and gives you a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better creature.

ITT, I'm just mad that Autochthon Wurm (my beloved) has been outclassed by a Wurm that's art is not as cool :P
so what is your opinion on Emrakul, the Aeons Torn?
proud member of the 2011 community team
so what is your opinion on Emrakul, the Aeons Torn?

Emmy is a nice lady.

Moving to Cards & Combos.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Moving to Cards & Combos.

How dare y-

Ok, fine. Thanks.

Worldspine is pretty good.   I think it's ability to stave off mill, like a Blightsteel Colossus is a very large point to consider also.
I like worldspine, but it the art suuuuuuuuuuucks compared to auto
Actually, I think autochron wurm has terribad art, so they are both really bad.

Autochron is certainly overcosted by a mana or three, but the point is that convoke can get out of hand much much faster than traditional ramp

turn 1 dude
turn 2 Fists of Ironwood
turn 3 scatter the seeds
turn 4 beacon of creation
turn 5 autochron wurm

Well, I guess you can....
turn 1 arbor elf
turn 2 overgrowth
turn 3 overgrowth (same forest) + arbor elf + rampant growth + explosive vegetation
turn 4.....22 mana

Yeah, maybe you can ramp harder than you can token....it just takes a perfect set of cards?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Really the only thing Autochthon has going for him:

If you can get 15 tokens that cover the entire cost, and happen to have some way to untap those permanents multiple times, (or alternatively just have an infinite amount of tokens from some combo engine) and you happen to have 4 of him in your hand, you can drop 36 points of trample damage and 56 points of toughness down in one turn.

Obviously without some combo like 4*Worldspine Wurm + Omniscience, you can't really do the same thing as easily. However, the amount of time and effort it would take to get that many tokens out probably wouldn't fly in a real game.

If you can get 15 tokens that cover the entire cost, and happen to have some way to untap those permanents multiple times, (or alternatively just have an infinite amount of tokens from some combo engine) and you happen to have 4 of him in your hand, you can drop 36 points of trample damage and 56 points of toughness down in one turn.

Obviously without some combo like Worldspine Wurm + Omniscience, you can't really do the same thing as easily. However, the amount of time and effort it would take to get that many tokens out probably wouldn't fly in a real game.

Actually that doesn't work for Autchthon Wurm: his Convoke ability only drops coloursless mana cost.  So even with infinite tokens he'll still cost you :G::G::G::W::W: 

Also; if you had an infinite number of tokens...why would you bother using him instead of, oh I don't know, killing them with infinite tokens.

Obviously without some combo like Worldspine Wurm + Omniscience, you can't really do the same thing as easily. However, the amount of time and effort it would take to get that many tokens out probably wouldn't fly in a real game.

Actually that doesnèt work for Autchthon Wurm: his Convoke ability only drops coloursleess mana cost.  The cheapest you can cast him for is :G::G::G::W::W: if youc an tap 10 creatures.

Also; if you had an infinite number of tokens...why would you bother using him instead of, oh I dont know...killing them with infinite tokens. 

"or by one mana of that creature's color"

There are cases in Magic where you have an infinite army that can't break through an indestructible Wall of Glare. In which case the trample is good. Just bringing up a corner case.

Actually that doesnèt work for Autchthon Wurm: his Convoke ability only drops coloursleess mana cost.  The cheapest you can cast him for is :G::G::G::W::W: if youc an tap 10 creatures.

Also; if you had an infinite number of tokens...why would you bother using him instead of, oh I dont know...killing them with infinite tokens. 

"or by one mana of that creature's color"

There are cases in Magic where you have an infinite army that can't break through an indestructible Wall of Glare. In which case the trample is good. Just bringing up a corner case.

Drrp.  Thanks for clearing that up for me; never realized that Convoke could hit colored mana.

Yeah it happens, but sending the tokens straight into their face is probably a better alternative, IMO.  Don't have to wait a turn to attack and possibly feel the wrath of god.

Drrp.  Thanks for clearing that up for me; never realized that Convoke could hit colored mana.

Yeah it happens, but sending the tokens straight into their face is probably a better alternative, IMO.  Don't have to wait a turn to attack and possibly feel the wrath of god.

True. I was operating under the assumption that the player would be playing some time of G/W token variant.
If you're going to be making a terrible deck just to get these guys out, (because while both certainly have a "cool" factor, there are much better options) why not just use Descendants' Path?

At the end of the day, Auto is far better because you can target it with Unburial Rites...

CMC's that high are essentially meaningless because you're pretty much never gonna hard cast them in a competitive game, and if you could, there are far better ways to use that ramp.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
If you're going to be making a terrible deck just to get these guys out,.....

Glad I'm not the only person who thinks Show and Tell and Hypergenesis are boring decks to play. 
Of which, SnT can possibly get either of these suckers out on turn 1.   Wow.  What an interesting game that was.....

How did you think Gather Courage worked?

Level 1 Judge

How did you think Gather Courage worked?

Never sen it before.  I wasn't playing during Ravnica; I've only seen a few Convoke cards in retrospect, and none of them are my style.  The wurm I found because you can cheat it into play Turn 1, hit it with Energy Tap T2 and cast Emrakul, lol.
If you're going to be making a terrible deck just to get these guys out,.....

Glad I'm not the only person who thinks Show and Tell and Hypergenesis are boring decks to play. 
Of which, SnT can possibly get either of these suckers out on turn 1.   Wow.  What an interesting game that was.....

Flash can push out a Worldspine Wurm on turn 1 without too much effort, also.  Oh, so I have to sacrifice it?  What a shame.

Yes, its power creep, but it's also (mostly?) the concept of a steeper power/mana curve. That is, there is a difference in power between a card that costs 3 and one that costs 4 should be smaller than the difference beween one that costs 6 and one that costs 7. Each step up in mana cost gives a greater boost than the previous step.

In recent years WOTC has embraced this concept more, so the boosts between costs now grow bigger faster. By the time you get to cards that cost 15, and consider the cumulative effect of these increases - you get this example.
I am Blue/Green