Updating E1-E3, checking with other DMs to see if I am on the right track.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, I am preparing to run H-P-E and and finishing up heroic tier right now, and am updating monsters for the Epic tier. I have been using the average damages by the DMG tupdate post MM3 and had a couple of questions.

On limited powers, have been wondering how to set the damage for a certain creature, for example, The rakshasa noble on pg.43 of AB2 for E1 has the following power:

Frightful Phantom: +23 vs. Will; 4d8 + 7 psychic damage and the target is pushed 5 squares and is stunned (save ends).

By the update, I see a single target spell should do around 27 damage, and the above is only 25 and it is even an encounter power. I also understand limited use powers should be buffed by about 25-50% or thereabouts.

I have updated the above power to this:

Frightful Phantom: +23 vs. Will; 3d8+18 psychic damage, the target is pushed 5 squares, and is stunned (save ends).

This places the Elite at about 31.5 average damage, in line with where the power should be in my opinion, am I on the right track here?

Also, how do I reconfigure abilities that have ongoing damage? I have been lowering the base damage by 25% in most cases to make up for the ongoing damage as follows.

The same creature above has the following MBA:

Unholy Claw: +24 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage and the target takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends). When the target takes this damage, all adjacent living creatures also take 5 necrotic damage.

I have updated it to this:

Unholy Claw: +24 vs AC; 3d6+13 damage, and the target takes ongoing 10 necrotic damage (save ends). When the target takes ongoing necrotic damage, all adjacent living creatures also take 5 necrotic damage.

That seems like a huge jump for me, but still seems in line for the creature level. I just want to make sure I am on the right track, as I have never updated creatures before, I have always ran them normally. Myrrdrak's conversion has been a lifesaver for heroic and paragon, and I want to make sure I am doing this right.

Finally, I understand the issues with solo creatures, and have seen many discussions saying that in order to fix most issues, we can solve some of the problems by granting solos and ability that will give them an autosave against action denial, or by giving solos a double attack. Is that still a good thing to do even with the buff to monster damages above?

Thanks for the help, I really want to make sure I am not overbuffing here and that I am creating a fair challenge for my PC's

You are on the right track absolutely. Your Frightful Phantom is spot on. Regarding Unholy Claw, your versions is on the powerful side. Ongoing dmg is by tier (5/10 or whatever) and you just substract one istance from the expected dmg. So if you have a monster who is supposed to do 31 dmg per attack, you can express that as 3d8+18 or else 3d8+8+10 ongoing dmg. 

If in doubt, err in the side of making the monsters stronger at Epic level rather than weaker.

Solos absolutely need special defences against conditions (try: BOSS - this monster can save vs one single condition (even ones that cannot normally be saved against) at the start of its turn) and additional attacks. It is not enough to buff the dmg/reduce hp of the E1 solos - you need to completely rewrite them from scratch. If you can get your hands on Monster Vault or ESPECIALLY Monster Vault:threats of the nentir vale, the solo monsters in these books should be your templates. 

In any case, Myrrdrak has already converted the E1 monsters. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I give my elites and solos saving throws at the start and end of their turns. I tinkered with a few other ideas and ultimately decided to keep it fairly simple, rather powerful but still allowing for a small chance that a solo could be stunned for a whole round.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Sign In to post comments