Help please

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello , i m very new to D&D ,  our DM  deside to start playing in Forgotten realms.

so after really hard studing i choose

Avariel - cleric.  18 str - 18 int - 16 dex - 10 cha - 10 con. and skills knowledge (arcana ) 1 rank - knowledge (religion ) 2 ranks  - parry 4 ranks - heal 4 ranks - spellcraft 1 rank - craft mettalurgy 2 ranks - craft armor 1 rank - craft glasblowing 2 ranks - consentration 4 ranks - knowledge ( the planes ) 1 rank craft weapon 1 - craft alchemy 1 .

so i have a few questions

1) can i start crafting glasteel ? do i need something more in skills ???  can i start crafting from lvl 1 ??? where do i craft ???
2) how manny feats i must take ,  i read one regional and one general. is that correct???
3) all the racial feat are granted ( flyby - hover - aerial combat ) ???
4)i ve got spontanius casting , so i dont have to put the spell cure to the spells list ???
5) if i take the general feat 2 weapon fighting can i have a shield on me ??? like if i see that i need to defend change in my one hand the weapon with the shield ???
6) as starting gold i have 125 gp ( DM desition ) i think its toooooo  little to start with !!!   what armor i should start ???

the other players are experienced and i would like to catch up with them.  plase help me.

thanks
All right, let's see:

Firstly, doesn't Avarial have a Level Adjustment? This means it's too powerful to start at L1 - I'm assuming you're starting at L1?

1) I'm not sure what is required to make glasteel, but in general, yes, you can start crafting from L1. Read the description of the "craft" skill - you typically need a source of heat etc and some tools, but can otherwise craft anywhere. Your DM might let you start the game with items you've crafted in your past, too, meaning you can essentially have them for cheaper (1/3 the price)
2) IIRC, you will only get your normal feat at L1. This can be a Regional feat, but doesn't have to be. However, you can have only one Regional feat even if you were to start with a bonus feat e.g. from being a Human. I know it's not uncommon to play where you get a bonus Regional feat, but that's not the default rules I don't think.
3) Do you mean do you get all those feats? I don't think so. Being an Avarial will grant you certain benefits, but those feats you still have to select. Some races do give bonus feats, but it will explicitly say so.
4) Spontaneous Cure spells means that you don't have to prepare Cures (they are still on your "spell list", which means "the list of spells you can cast"). Instead, you can cast a Cure spell instead of something else you have prepared.
5) You can put a shield on and take it off regardless of wheather you have Two-Weapon Fighting. You can also use a Buckler whilst dual-wielding, but you take a -1 penalty with that hand and don't get the AC bonus whilst attacking. I would suggest that actually, Two-Weapon Fighting is not a great idea, but if you did, I wouldn't use a shield at all, probably.
6) Probably just get a cheap Chain Shirt or something. If your Craft modifier is high enough you might be able to make it yourself, like I said, otherwise you can probably only afford Studded Leather, if you intend to buy much else. That is quite little, but you should earn more pretty quickly.

Hope that helps! 
Is this 3.5? Do you start at level 1?
You didn't write your Wisdom score, which is probably your most important ability score as a cleric, as it improves your spellcasting. Normally, any character will want a good Constitution score. As a cleric, you don't need a high Intelligence score. Also, if you plan on wearing armor, you should note that it limits your Dexterity score, so unless you don't want heavy armor, you don't need a high Dexterity score.
Generally, it is  considered the best to have many ranks in a few skills, but you can do as you want.
What version of DnD are you playing?

Just looking at the first lines I see lots of problems from a 3.5 perspective.  Avariel have a pretty big LA (level adjustment) and you'll be treated as if you are two or three levels higher then a human character with the same number of class levels.  Moving on your ability scores seem high (I forget the Avariel modifiers however) and you are missing a WIS score; based on your other scores I'd guess it is either 18 or 20 depending on where racial modifier fall but you still don't have it listed.  The one other thing I see right off that I question is the "Parry" skill which is NOT a PHB skill so I have little idea where it is coming from and what it does; I know NWN had a Parry skill but that was specifically for that video game's mechanics to use.

1.  You can craft at 1st-level.  You'll need some kind of workshop and of course access to raw materials.  I have no idea what the DCs to work with glasteel would be but I'm guessing they may be pretty high so having more ranks woulld help a lot.

2.   From what I remember you'll only get to select one general feat and in the Realms that could be a Regional Feat.

3.  Unsure.  You need to check the SPECIES description which should list any bonus feats gained.  If you are looking at a sample character it may simply have taken those feats which a fight speed would have given access to.

4.  A 3.5 cleric may spontaneous convert prepared spell slots into Cure (or Cause for evil types) Wounds spells.  You do NOT spontaneously cast spells but rather you may spontaneously change a spell you have currently prepared for the Cure Spell of that level or lower.  While you can prepare Cure Spells you do not need to do so.

5.  Yes but note the things that TheFred already mentioned.  You could use a small or medium shield as your off-hand weapon although IIRC the medium shield counts as a one-handed weapon.  If you have a buckler on an arm you can use that hand to wield a weapon at a -1 penalty (in addition to the shield's ACP).  If you make an attack with an arm that holds a shield you will lose the shield's bonus to AC for a turn although there is a feat to negate that.

6.  I don't remember cleric starting gold but it isn't much.  IIRC you're going to want to stick with Light armor otherwise you'll lose your ability to fly.  Considering your high DEX and low funds that is certainly where you should look to start. 
hello again and thank you so much .

1) its the 3.5 version and we havent started yet.
2) my wis is 16
3) i ve read somewhere that is the field of skills i can add anything i want but it must be aprooved from my DM. then sure i can use it ( parry is a skill when being attack unarmed and suprised - i fight back and counterattack)
4) also the LA is +3  , i ve read it but i did not know what it meant? i will check now .
5) so its better one weapon and shield rather 2 weapons ???  and if so what is the best feat to get ??? ( include that i want to make some damage in the game )
6) also as a cleric i know all the spells given but i need to prepare them before. ex ( in 1 lvl i have 3 spells lvl 0 and 1+1 lvl 1 ) in total 5 so i prepare only 5 spells or i can prepare 9 and then choose what is appropriate ???
7) also am i humanoid ? i did not see that somewhere ?  also do i need a spesial armor because i have the wings ??? also when i start i start with long sword. do i put enchanchement bonus.  is it more expensive ??? does better damage ???
8) also i ve read somewhere that when i choose deity  that grands me the profesion of her favore weapon. is it true ??? my deity has fav weapon quarterstff with lightning. can i use this ???

thank you all ( sorry about my english or my spelling mistakes )
2) You want a higher Wisdom than Intelligence as a cleric.
3) So year DM has approved the parry skill? Really?
4) I don't know if you understood Level Adjustment from the above posts, but they are basically empty levels. If you are a 1st level cleric and have a Level Adjustment of +3, you are a 4th level character. This means that the other characters in a party could be, for example, 4th level human clerics at the same time.
5) If you want to use two weapons, you should get the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (and the Improved and Greater version later).
6) As a 1st level cleric with a Wisdom score of 16, you can cast 3 0th-level spells and 2 1st-level spells every day. Every day, you must choose which spells (from the cleric spell list). This is preparing.
7) I don't know which book Avariels are in, so I can't help with this one. If it says you need special armor because of the wings, you do. If it doesn't, you don't.
You said you have 125 gp. Even the lowest enhancment bonus (+1) costs 2000 gp extra. You can't afford that. However, if you get a weapon with an enhancement bonus, you add the enhancement bonus to your attack and damage rolls with the weapon.
8) If you have the War domain, you gain proficiency and Weapon Focus with your deity's favored weapon.

Why did you invent the parry skill for fighting unarmed if you're using a longsword? 

Since Avariels have a Level Adjustment of +3, you will be a 4th level character when you have 1 class level. That means 125 gp is far too little, as the DMG says that a 4th level character should have 5,400 gp. 125 gp would be appropriate for 1st level character.
5) You don't need any more than Two-Weapon Fighting in that chain of feats. There is an item that gives you Improved TWF, and Greater TWF really isn't worth it.
I'm assuming that this is your first time playing, correct? If you REALLY want to play a race that can fly at level 1, pick the Raptoran from Races of the Wild. If not, you really should play one of the base races from the Players Handbook.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
To elaborate simply on the memorising of spells:

At the start of each day, you pick your spells. You're a Cleric, so you know all the spells on your list. However, you must prepare them.

At L1, with 16 Wisdom, you get two L1 spells. So let's say, for example, that you prepare Bless and Doom. You don't prepare Cure Light Wounds, because whenever you want you can burn up one of those to cast it.

You also get three L0 spells. You prepare two lots of Resistance (so you can cast it twice) and Detect Magic.

Because you're a Cleric, you also get a Domain slot at each level (apart from L0). Basically, you choose two Domains, and these give you bonus abilities, as well as a list of spells you can prepare from them. Your domain slot can only be used to prepare one of those spells.

For example, let's say you have the War and Magic Domains. In your L1 domain slot you could prepare Magic Weapon (from the War Domain) or Nystul's Magic Aura (from the Magic Domain), but not Bless, Doom, Cure Light Wounds, or anything else.

Hope that helps! 
The Avariel are in Races of Faerun and a pretty strong; at least they are before you consider the +3 LA.  The get +2 on DEX, INT, and WIS on top of the normal elven stat modifiers.  They also have slightly different (better?) racial skill modifier.  Of course the big thing is they fly at 50' with average maneuverability unless they are loaded with a medium load or wearing heavy armor.

Anyone remember what the Winged Template costs and gives because it may be cheaper then this?

I'll just preface this by saying I'm routinely hostile towards over the top stats.  Are your STR 18, INT 18, DEX 16, WIS 16, CON 10, CHA 10 before or after the racial modifiers?  If they are post modifier I see an array of 18,16,14,12,12,8 which is still (at a PB equvalent of 40) much higher then usual.  If those are pre-modifier then there isn't much to say.  As a Cleric you usually want your WIS score to be your highest.  With a +4 racial bonus to DEX I'd also put a good stat into that to really take advantage of it.  You may not want CHA as your lowest score if you plan on using any of the Divine Metamagic "tricks" that some people say are essential to playing a cleric correctly because you'll want the turn attempts.  I know I wouldn't plan this character as a melee character (and some may point out there are spells if you want to go that route) so I may go with a lower STR score although it does cut down the weight you can carry and still fly.  Sadly, I think INT could/should be your dump stat which means the skills you focus on will be the ones you actually need.

As a cleric two-weapon fighting is usually not done.  If you want to deal damage you normally want a two-handed weapon.  Looking at the avariel's racial guide you may also want to figure out how to take advantage of its "Dive Attack" which will deal double damage if used with a piercing weapon.  A spear or morningstar (which amazingly counts here) are two weapons available to a Cleric which would work pretty well with Dive Attack. 

Officially, you are a humanoid but considering how humanoids don't normally get to fly (and Avariel are a potential for abuse with Alter self) don't be shocked if the DM requires you to have "special" armor.  I'd double the base price for any armor you wear to allow it to work with your wings but for the light armors you probably should be wearing that isn't very significant as you level up.

If you want enchantments on your weapons they will cost more.

so when  i met the DM  he said : you take 18 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 12 - 10 to start your character , so its the DM'S choice !!!  so i took thoose stats and i put the avariel +4 dex , +2 int , +2 wis -2 con. thats why i have the stats.

also the other characters at the game are rogue - druid - wizard so no one is puting str , so i thought i would be the tank !!!  or try at least.  also the DM said that we wont be playing with much undead. so i lower my cha. 3 turns per day i think its good. 

as avariel the prices are going to be high so thats why i took so much int to put in craft so i can craft my armor whith glassteel. i need 1/3 for the raw materials.

steven :  in my character sheet do i put that i know the dive attack??? 

also when wis starts 16 or 18 my spells are the same. i dont get more with more wis. so 16 is good to start. i took int to have more skills.

so the only part that i m really confused is the feats.  as an avariel i must choose one feat and one general. any sugestions?

thanks again
OK.

The LA: If everyone is L1, the fact that Avarial has a +3 LA means that you are considered to be (roughly) as strong as a L4 character. That means you're more powerful than everyone else, so maybe speak to your DM about that.

The Stats: If you put your 18 in Wisdom, and then apply the Avarial's +2 Wis, you'll get 20 Wis, which gives you another bonus 1st-level spell. However, more Wis is still better because, firstly, when you level up, you'll want it then, and secondly, your spell DCs go up with Wis. A DC 16 Doom or Command is better than a DC 15 one.

The Feats: Avarial get no bonus feats. You follow the same feat rules as everyone else. This means you get one feat. Your DM might also be allowing everyone a free, bonus regional feat, but if he's not, you get one feat at L1. That's it.

The Armour: You probably can't afford it yet anyway, and crafting will take a long time. If you do, just put a lot of ranks in Armourworking and forget everything else. By the time you have the cash you'll be a higher level anyway, so don't spend too much Int just for that.
so when  i met the DM  he said : you take 18 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 12 - 10 to start your character , so its the DM'S choice !!!  so i took thoose stats and i put the avariel +4 dex , +2 int , +2 wis -2 con. thats why i have the stats.

I strongly disagree with how your DM is doing stats as they are effectively LA +1 for everyone.  I will also point out that the you have a 10 listed here as the low stat when you would need to start with CHA 8 as the avariel I find has +2 CHA as well.  I don't know where those modifiers came from but it isn't what is in RoF which I believe is the 3.5 writeup for the race.
also the other characters at the game are rogue - druid - wizard so no one is puting str , so i thought i would be the tank !!!  or try at least.  also the DM said that we wont be playing with much undead. so i lower my cha. 3 turns per day i think its good.

You're counted as a 4th-level character but with just eight hitpoints you certainly will NOT work as a tank.  A druid can often dump STR because when it gains the ability to Shapeshift it takes the physical stats of what ever it changes into which will give the group a "STR" character.

While I agree that you don't need many turn attempts there are other things that can be done with them.  There are a number of "Divine X" feats that allow you to convert turn attempts into other things.  One of the strongest, which I have been told but EVERY Cleric MUST do according to some board members, is Divine Metamagic which would allow you to apply a metamagic feat to a spell without increasing the spell slot requirement.  Often this is done with Persistent Spell which will then let what is normally a short duration buff spell last all day.
steven :  in my character sheet do i put that i know the dive attack???

No comprende.  Considering how powerful Dive Attack is you really should have it on your character sheet and carry a weapon that can utilize it.  When it automatically can double your damage it is certainly something you should pay attention to.
also when wis starts 16 or 18 my spells are the same. i dont get more with more wis. so 16 is good to start. i took int to have more skills.

so the only part that i m really confused is the feats.  as an avariel i must choose one feat and one general. any sugestions?

I think The_Fred helps explain why you want a higher WIS.  You may not get more spell slots now but eventually you would see more spell slots.  Even without that the added WIS will increase the save DC of your spells which isn't so easy to do in 3.5.  I can also point out that you will need WIS => spell level +10 to use a certainl level of spells; with WIS 16 you could NOT cast a 7th-level spell until you have figured out how to increase your WIS.

As a first level Avarial you only get to select one feat.  Maybe the Realms changes the rules and gives another feat but I do not believe that it does.

Those stats are a 40pb, which is generous to say the least, but not such a big deal if everyone has them. However, if you get a "free" +3 LA and the rest of the players don't, they may find that unfair.
Those stats are a 40pb, which is generous to say the least, but not such a big deal if everyone has them. However, if you get a "free" +3 LA and the rest of the players don't, they may find that unfair.

How are you defining "everyone?"  If all the PCs have stats like that they may be "even" but unless you add another 15 points worth of abilities to every NPC and Monster it certainly IS a big deal.  When the PC get amazing stats that means you need to add stuff to any monster writeup so it can keep up and you also need to build any NPCs with higher stats to compensate.

I mean an Ogre straight from the MM/SRD is considered a CR 3 but it is certainly less of a challenge against a party built with PB 40 then it is to one built with PB 25.  How is this compensated for?  You either use a tougher monsters (say a CR 4 or 5) for an encounter that should be the same difficulty or you need to go through all the added effort of boosting up the MM Ogre.  If the later is done then there really isn't any point in using higher stats as it is all just a zero sum game.

The other problem with you taking the 'tank' role (even though it probably won't be needed heavily) is that you're either stuck in heavy armor (thereby messing with your flight) or in light armor and taking the 'evasion tank' role (whether it's through heavy feat investment or through lockdown).  Either way, you're probably better suited as a secondary line of defense;  oddly enough, you could conceivably switch tanking duties through the party:

Cleric - Put on heavy armor for a known battle and stand at the fore.
Druid - Bring the animal companion into the fight and support it with spells.
Rogue - Litter the field with 'traps' (tanglefoot bags, caltrops, thunderstones, etc) and take out threats while they're dealing with the other stuff.
Wizard - Same as Rogue, but can also throw down some spells to do similar things (grease can take the wind out of a big group, obscuring mist can make the Rogue deadly, etc).

Sometimes, you may have to think outside the box when it comes to 'unorthodox' parties.       
after searching the net and talking with you i understood that the DM rules . so i contacked him and asked everything and now i will post his answers.

my avariel has LA +3 but thats not a problem because all the other characters have LA +2 OR +3. so its ok.

he granted the skill parry ( blocking an attack and counterattack if blocked, with weapons).

he said that all my racial feats mention on the book are granted ( he said spesific that my avariel borned with thoose feats )

he granted only one regional feat ( as the book says )

and said a could take a class - general feat. 

said that the DC  for glassteel is 18 .

also said that the monsters will be max 1 lvl above us. all the xp will be divide by the munber of the characters , no extra for the character with most kills etc.

so after all that and with your help i have a pretty good idea what to do , ( i will not be a tank so no 2 weapon fighting , i will take a metanagnetic general feat ) as a regional feat i will take sould over body so my hit points for lvl one will be 8  +my int mod ) also i will change my wis with my int ( and i will loose 4 skill points)

thank you all so much i m very glad that you help me because  you all have experience in the game and i hope to gain to . this is my 1 time playing and i m very exiting ( i havent read so much since i was in college ). if anyone has something to add please do.

thanks again
cheers from greece
Well it sounds like you are getting the hang of it. I think really the best thing is just to play a bit and see how it goes. The best way to figure stuff out is often just by trying it.
after searching the net and talking with you i understood that the DM rules . so i contacked him and asked everything and now i will post his answers.

my avariel has LA +3 but thats not a problem because all the other characters have LA +2 OR +3. so its ok.

he granted the skill parry ( blocking an attack and counterattack if blocked, with weapons).

he said that all my racial feats mention on the book are granted ( he said spesific that my avariel borned with thoose feats )

he granted only one regional feat ( as the book says )

and said a could take a class - general feat. 

said that the DC  for glassteel is 18 .

also said that the monsters will be max 1 lvl above us. all the xp will be divide by the munber of the characters , no extra for the character with most kills etc.

As you are learning so are we.

This post, combined with the stats your GM told you to use, is telling us that your DM is playing DnD with characters that are a LOT stronger then normal.  If I can be direct that is NOT a great environment to introduce a new player into in part because it can set up expectations such that any "normal" campaign isn't any where near good enough.  With "free" Level Adjustment, amazing stats, and lots of extra feats you'd be in for a cruel shock if you had to play a standard starting character.

You mention that the monsters will be "max 1 lvl above us" which honestly doesn't mean anything.  In normal play a party should not expect to fight monsters with a Challenge Rating (CR) FOUR levels above the average effective character level of the party.  Here, your effective character level is already three (or more due to the stats/feats) places higher then your actual character level.  When I read that I can see it saying "our first level characters will not be put up against a Human Wizard 3" but such a character should technically be easy for the type of character you are using.

When it comes to dividing XP your DM may be doing it as it is supposed to be done.  Assuming all the PC have the same (equvialent) level then they all should earn the exact same amount of XP from a challenge even if it seems like one character does all of the work.  While it sounds like it will be divided correctly I do wonder how the amount awarded will be determined but that is not your problem.
so after all that and with your help i have a pretty good idea what to do , ( i will not be a tank so no 2 weapon fighting , i will take a metanagnetic general feat ) as a regional feat i will take sould over body so my hit points for lvl one will be 8  +my int mod ) also i will change my wis with my int ( and i will loose 4 skill points)

Do NOT take the feat that lets you use INT modifier at first level for hitpoints instead of CON.  It may be nice for a level or two but after that it basically becomes a wasted feat.  Instead you should just put a better score into CON and/or accept that hitpoints will NOT be your strong point.  With the knowledge that EVERYONE is getting a free +2 or +3 LA I strongly suspect that one of them, most likely the Druid, should have the hitpoints.

Now I will admit that your starting parameters are far above what I would ever expect and that makes it hard to give advice when the big picture is unknown.  You mention a druid, wizard, and rogue to round out the party but adding up to +3 in LA can really change how those brief descriptions are viewed.  Changing species can drastically change how a given class would be used and how it would perform.

If you consider the Avariel's great DEX modifier and flight speed those point towards a character who will want to keep their distance.  I mean if you really want to play a "tank" style Cleric with a free +3 LA then I suggest playing a Half-Dragon (you can still pick a base race) which gives up flight but which certainly will put you in a better place if you decide to get up close.  This may just be me looking for a more optimized way of doing thing but what you appear to want done is far from it.  If I were to "tank" an Avariel I'd be focusing on DEX while still keeping a good STR and CON score and basically playing what could be seen as a warrior angel upon the battlefield.
Using heavy armor, which is almost required for a Tank type character, very much restricts your DEX. Given that you get a big bonus to DEX as an Avariel, it sounds like a bad idea to try and play an Avariel Tank.

Doing dive attacks with a Charge and using something like a Lance and then using Flyby Attack to get away from your enemy again, or using the High Dex to attack with Ranged Touch spells or a Bow sounds like a much better idea.

And indeed, the answers from your DM seem to indicate a very very very powerful game. You start at level 1 with characters that have the power of about a level 5 character.

And for a cleric Wis should almost under any circumstance be your highest stat, probably with Con second, then Str or Dex not both, then what remains in Int or Cha depending on your preferences.
Rarely does a character need a high Str and a High Dex. If you're fighting close up you need high armor which means Dex is wasted and you only need Str. If you're trying to attack mostly from range then Dex is usually needed and Str doesn't do much for you.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

Hello again my friends

so   StevenO for regional feat this is my only chooises.

1) mind over body ( cchange th con mod with int mod , only for lvl 1 )
2) Artist ( +2 to perform skill)  
3) stromg soul ( +1 bonus all fort saves and will saves - and +3 bonus against death effects ,energy drain and abillity drain. ) 
4) education ( +2 to all knowelde skills)

i MUST choose one . only one.  so whatr do you think ?

Strong Soul. Seriously, for your character, it's the only one you should even be considering.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Hello again my friends

so   StevenO for regional feat this is my only chooises.

1) mind over body ( cchange th con mod with int mod , only for lvl 1 )
2) Artist ( +2 to perform skill)  
3) stromg soul ( +1 bonus all fort saves and will saves - and +3 bonus against death effects ,energy drain and abillity drain. ) 
4) education ( +2 to all knowelde skills)

i MUST choose one . only one.  so whatr do you think ?

Draco1119 said it and I'll repeat it.  STRONG SOUL.

Mind Over Body may be ok for a level or two but after you have a few HD the extra couple hitpoints don't mean much.  As I have already mentioned if you want to "tank" you really should have a better CON to start with.

Artist:  Maybe if you were a Bard who did something meaningful with Perform checks.
Education:  The same deal as Artist except there are few things that make a meaningful use of Knowledge check.  Note that these are just bonuses to checks and don't help you meet prereqs or anything.

Strong Soul:  +1 to two of your most important saves.  +3 against some CRITICAL saves.  To put things very simply this feat is FAR more likely to keep you alive over the course of an adventuring career then the few extra hitpoints you gained from Mind Over Body would.

Of those four feats Strong Sould would be the overwhelming choice for just about any character.  There is NO character it would be bad for which means the only reason to take any of the others is if you have some plan for abusing what they benefit. 
That last paragraph is crucial. Mind over body is only useful for a Wizard. Education is possibly even more useful for a Wizard, and especially nice for a Loremaster or Archivist. Artist is only useful for bard builds, and not even all of those. Out of those four choices, Strong Soul is the one that should be chosen 9 out of 10 times.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Concurring again - of those four, Strong Soul is the clear winner.

If you're playing a very low-level wizard, the choice is between Strong Soul and Mind over Body; the former remains useful at all levels while the latter loses utility as you go up in level (both by getting more HP and by getting more magic that makes HP irrelevant). That same magic will stack with Strong Soul.

If you're playing an unusual Perform-check-focused bard build (say, you're using one of the rare "use perform to seed a more powerful ability, instead of just a prerequisite for some music effect" abilities), Artist might be useful, but you can get the same bonus for a pocketful of change and a masterwork instrument. Strong Soul cannot be bought.

Education is not just what you say it is - it also makes all knowledge skills class skills. This is occasionally useful, but you can get the same benefit from better feats (Knowledge Devotion, for instance). The secondary benefit to Education is trivial at best. The class skill trick can be used to get into some obscure prestige classes, but none of them seem to jive with your character concept.

All that said, Strong Soul isn't one of the best feats in the game - but it is easily the best feat on that list, and you must choose one from that list.  

Cancer prognosis: I am now cancer-free.

Weekly Optimization Series

Show
These are NOT all my creations! The lead authors are identified as follows: [TS] Tempest Stormwind, [AR] Andarious Rosethorn, [RT] Radical Taoist, [SN] Sionnis, [DH] DisposableHero_, [SH] Seishi.

[TS] The Pinball Brothers: Large And In Charge (Melee, Lockdown, Charge, Juggling)
[TS] Ashardalon Reborn: I Will Swallow Your Soul (Melee, Fear, Negative Levels, AoE, Theme)
[AR] "A"-Game Paladin: Play That Funky Music, Knight Boy! (Team Support, Melee, Theme, Single-Class)
[RT] Uncanny Trapsmith: Get in, make it look like an accident, get out. (Skillmonkey, Stealth/Scout/Infiltration, Unorthodox Methods, Theme)
[AR] Wizsassin: *Everything* is permitted. (Spellcaster, Support, Sneak Attack, Utility)
[TS] Phantom Rush: General Gish Gouda. (Gish, Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Early-Entry PrC)
[TS] Storm Knight: Another kind of gish. (Melee/"Gish", Theme, Setting-Specific(Eberron), Unorthodox Methods)
[TS] Inevitable Nightmare: The weapon you only have to fire once. (Melee, "Unorthodox" Methods (no charging), Reliability)
[AR] Captain Constitution: The number one threat to America. (Melee, TOUGHTOUGHTOUGH, Defense, Theme)
[AR] Nuker: I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down! (Spellcaster, damage, blasting, damage)
[TS] Dread Lord of the Dead: Let the Reaping Begin! (NPC-only, Variable (combat/casting/leadership), Iconic Villain, Theme)
[AR] Heavy Crusader: No Rest. No Mercy. No Matter What. (Melee, Damage (No charging), Variable, Theme).
[TS] Gun Fu: It's bullet time (Ranged, THEORETICAL, Twin weapons, Theme)
[RT] Face First: We should talk. (Psionic, social, mind-control, info-management)
[SN] Chaingun Porcupine: Never Enuff Dakka. (Ranged, Skirmishing, Spike Damage, Incarnum)
[RT] Always On Edge: The Mortal Draw deals death. (Melee, Generalist, Dungeoneering, Stunt)
[AR] Feral Druid: Real feral taste. Zero druid calories. (Melee, offense, damage, murder)
[RT] Rusty!: Man's Best Friend (Sentry, Support, Backup, Rearguard)
[RT] The T3 (Tashalatora Triple Threat): My Kung Fu is More Powerful (Hybrid, Flex-Function, Melee, Caster)
[RT] The #1 Snoipah: Boom. 'Eadshot. (Caster, Theme, Spike, Trapscout)
[AR] Dreamblade: Rest in Pieces. (Melee, Damage, Single-Class, Combo/Momentum)
[AR] Evasion Tank: “When fighting angry blind men, is best to stay out of the way.” (Melee, Tank, Unorthodox Methods (attack negation), Theme)
[DH] Psycarnum Warrior: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA Start (Melee, Tank, Psionics, Incarnum, 1337 h4x)
[AR] Heavy Weapons Elf: WHO TOUCHED MY BOW? (Ranged, Cohort, Damage, Unorthodox Methods (ranged ToB))
[RT] Gnowhere Gnome: A little man who wasn't there (Caster, Stealth, Single-Class, Elusive)
[AR] Uberflank: I got your back. (Melee, support, stunt, teamwork)
[TS] Flip the Bird: Everyday I'm shuffling (Ranged, harrier, unorthodox methods (ranged ToB / off-turn movement), support)
[DH] Eat Sleep Gank: Real Ultimate Power (Stealth, Assassination, Spike, Magic Versatility)
[AR] Slash and Burn: Mind, Body, Blade, Flame / Aspects of a greater whole / which delivers death. (Melee, Theme (flex-style), Damage, Stunt)
[RT] Edge of the Light: Cut, Fade to Black (Melee, Defense/Offense, Momentum, Tactical)
[RT] Quiet Murder: Cut throats, not corners. (Melee, Stealth, Harrier, Tactical)
[TS] Wand Overdrive: Say Hello to my little friends. (Caster, support/artillery/variable, wand specialist)
[RT] God Hand: What did the five fingers say to the face? (Melee/Gish, Unarmed, SAD, Theme)
[AR] Zero Buff Time Gish: Try to keep up! (Gish, Speed, Movement, Opportunity)
[TS] Robo Tackle: I Am Iron Man. (Melee, setting-specific (Eberron), positioning, theme, stunt)

[TS] Holy Fire: Just getting warmed up! (Casting, damage, theme (fire), theme (sacred), blasting)

[TS] Groundhog Mage: ♪Let’s do the time warp again♪ (Casting, stunt, setting-specific (Faerun), spell stamina / versatility, spontaneous wizard)

[RT] Captain Charisma: All she wants to do is dance (Hybrid (melee/support), SAD, Theme (criticals), Theme (flex-style)

[TS] Assassin's Bleed: A blade in the crowd (Melee (technical), iaijutsu, SAD, theme (Assassin's Creed), tutorial)

Want to see how the entire group rolls?
[All] Party Optimization Showcase: Dead for Nothing
[TS/RT/AR] Optimization Article: The Flash Step
[RT] Optimization Article: Kung Fu Witchcraft

Seishi: I think it might be fun to have a one-off [game] tuned fairly, but with the intention of wiping the party. 

DisposableHero_: if [my campaign] has taught me nothing else, it is that with this group, nothing tuned fairly will ever wipe the party

RadicalTaoist: I've been throwing **** at this group that's 5 levels over CRed in DFN, and have yet to wipe the party.

As stated by the others, Strong Soul wins out handily.  Education is a far second, with Artist and Mind Over Body bringing up the rear (at least for your character).
The main nice things about Education is that it makes all Knowledge skills class skills.

It does exactly what it says in that regard. If you want to play an educated character and are planning on spending a lot of skill points on Knowledge, then it's well worth it, especially for something like a Fighter. It's not very useful for a Wizard as he already has all Knowledges as class skills.

I haven't read that you're planning anything like that, so I have to agree with Strong Soul being the best choice.

Artist and Mind ovr Body are in general not very useful. I just wanted to clarify that for a lot of characters Education can be and that the assertion that it's a Wizard feat is plain wrong.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

well i think the winner is strong soul for my regional feat.  so now i have to choose one general feat. here there are no limitations.  there are soooooo  many general feats and i dont know what to choose , anyone has a good idea. any aerial feats maybe ???
Look in the Monster Manual and Races of The Wild for most of those. Flyby Attack and Hover are usually strong choices for flying characters that can qualify. Expeditious Dodge might be another good choice for you.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
thanks draco 1119 but my DM told me that the racial feats are granted from the beginning. flyby - hover - improved flight - rapid flight.

so i had to choose one regional ( with your help i choose strong soul ) and last i need to find a general feat.
Again, check out the feats in Races of the Wild. You can qualify for any of the feats with a Fly speed prereq, you can qualify for Expeditious Dodge (which is still Dodge), and assuming Avariels are still elves (they were in 2e), you qualify for any of the feats that have Elf as a prereq.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
As for glassteel:

There were never any rules printed for making glassteel. However, if you use the 1E carryover, Glassteel is a level 8 spell that a wizard can cast on an item of glass to make it as strong as steel.

In 3.5, Glassteel has the combined properties of mithral and adamantium armor, and is priced accordingly.

To be fair about the crafting process, I'd likely require ranks in both glassmaker and armorsmithing to make armor out of glassteel, but that's me. You're going to have to ask your DM. And, as should be obvious from the cost, you likely aren't going to be able to craft anything out of it for many levels, because the cost will simply be too high.

==Aelryinth        
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
The properties of Mithral AND adamantium?  Wow that's some amazing stuff if it wasn't so expensive.  Of course at higher levels "expensive" is a relative term.
about glassteel , i ve checked with my DM and said the exact thing. so i ve put 2 ranks mettallugry and 4 glassteel also armorsmithing 2 ranks. and the DC is 18.

so what is the cost of a glassteel. i ve read that its 1/3 of the price of the item you want. ex-  lets say i want a fullplate medium. cost 250.

i pay 1/3 for the materials and i do skill check. if i have the price then my armor is ready. if not its armor in progress like 1 day 80% 2 day20% so day 2 and my armor is ready.

is that right??? i didn't understand it correct Aelryinth???????????
What are you making? Full plate? (You mentioned DC 18)

The cost of your item will be

Cost of armor:  Full plate is 1500 GP. If you are an avariel, this is the number you increase if you must multiply cost for armor.

Cost of masterwork: +150 GP

Cost of mithral/heavy Armor: +9000 gp
Cost of adamantine/heavy armor: +15,0000 GP

Total cost: 25,650 gp.

You'll need to acquire 1/3 of that in raw materials, or 8,550 gp.

You'll probably need a masterwork set of tools for both armor smithing and glass making. That's another 110 gp, or you could just rent them, I suppose.

NOw...you have to craft glassteel into armor.

The DC is a base 18, with 20 for the Masterwork component. For the sake of convenience, you'll need to get your base modifier to at least +10 to do this...which isn't going to be too hard.

You progress at the rate of Craft Check x DC in Silver peices/week, so divide by 10 for gp.

If you have a modifier of +10, you can take 10, hit 20 for the target masterwork DC (having a higher DC is good, actually), for 200 sp/week, or 20 gp.

Divide the 25,650 cost by 20 gp/week, and you get 1282.5 weeks for you to make your glassteel armor. Congratulations, you'll get your armor in about 25 years.

Yes, there is a reason that glassteel armor is exceedingly rare. I can see your jaw dropping.

Are there ways to accelerate this? Most certainly. You can add +10 to the craft DC at any point, which will increase your amount of production. You can get your craft modifiers up, which will do the same. If you have a Ring of Sustenance, you can work 16 hours a day without much problem (provides all energy needed). You can get a Craftroom of haste (Magical architecture, Strongholds book), which doubles your production speed. You can have up to 3 assistants helping you, giving you +2 each. You can have + competence items all the way up to +20, although you'll have to pay for them. There are various spells you can have cast on you to give you bonuses, although requiring them for 2 craft skills will be a chore all around. Certain skills and feats will help, but you again run into the problem of needing two skills and thus multiple feats.

Special Note: Some wag is certain to mention Fabricate, but Fabricate cannot make masterwork items, and all items made from special materials are masterwork.  

In short, I would gently advocate that you probably don't want to make such an item. By the time you are done investing in sufficient gear to make the armor during the course of the campaign, I imagine you are going to be out in excess of +100,000 gp, and that's before you enchant it. On the bright side, if you DO do this, you'll probably be one of two or three people in the whole world who can make such things.

Generally speaking, if you can manage to hit a Craft DC of 60 (in two skills, no less), and set the DC to 60 so you work faster, and have a Craftroom of Haste and work double Sustained hours...thats 360 gp/week, x 4 = 1440 gp/week, which is 18 weeks to make a suit of non-magical glassteel full plate armor. It's 72 weeks, about 18 months, if you don't have the double time and craftroom to accelerate things.
You'll also need two sets of helpers, unless you give them rings. And if they have Improved Aid Another, that's a plus!

In summary, making such an incredible suit of armor is something only a high level character is generally going to be able to accomplish, simply because of the cost layout needed to do it with any speed.

In any event, it's over 8k just in raw materials, which means you shouldn't even be able to look sideways at starting such a suit til 8th+. Make sure you make the acquaintance of a 15th level mage with the right spell so you can get the raw materials right!

==Aelryinth
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
When it comes to special materials I do NOT give the 'typical' cost break for crafting them.  To put it another way I don't let you "buy 1gp of material" and let you make 3 gp with it.  If you want to make mithral armor I'm going to require raw materials as normal for the base armor but will charge the full amount for the mithral; the upside here will be I will only have it take as long as a masterwork set of armor to craft.

Why not just use the rules listed for crysteel (Ebberon) and apply them to glass instead of crystal?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
because crysteel in Eberron is a mined item, not an artificial substance. It's basically psionically treated crystal.

Glassteel has its own rules and abilities, as detailed in, I think, Magic of Faerun. It's basically what adamantine armor should be.

==Aelryinth