Weapon Mastery manipulation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So Weapon Mastery allows you to roll an additional damage dice of the same type of an attack and drop the lowest roll (essentially giving you advantage with damage). Let's say a Druid makes an arrow a Rogue shoots red-hot with one of his spells, giving the arrow an extra 2d10 damage.

Does the Rogue with Weapon Mastery roll an extra die for the arrow and both heat damage dice?
So Weapon Mastery allows you to roll an additional damage dice of the same type of an attack and drop the lowest roll (essentially giving you advantage with damage). Let's say a Druid makes an arrow a Rogue shoots red-hot with one of his spells, giving the arrow an extra 2d10 damage.

Does the Rogue with Weapon Mastery roll an extra die for the arrow and both heat damage dice?

The exact language:

When you attack with a weapon and roll its damage dice, roll an extra die of the same type, drop the lowest roll, and then add up the damage. 

In the example you gave, I don't think the 2d10 are part of "it's" damage dice.

But perhaps an explicit clarification is needed.
"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk
"When you roll its damage dice", all of the dice for the damage collectively, "roll an extra die of the same type", implying only one damage die type, so I do not think it is meant to apply to any additional damage dice from sources other than the weapon itself.
I also think that you only get to, in case of a longbow, roll 2d8 and take the highest, add Dex Mod to damage, then add 2d10, no additions.

If you were to coat a weapon in eg. poison that would add 1d6 extra, the same applies. Regular weapon damage + 1 more of the base weapon's damage die, take the highest + relevant damage stat mod + 1d6 from the poison.
3rd level fighter  rolls 1d8+5 (4 str 1 magic) without this feat
with the feat he rolls 2d8 drops the lowest then adds 5

the same fighter at level 10 rolls 3d8+7 (5 str 2 magic) without the feat vs 1 target
or use multi attack to hit up to 3 targets for 1d8+7
with the feat he would vs 1 target roll 4d8 drop the lowest and add 7 or use multi
to hit up to 3 targets, and each would roll 2d8 drop the lowest and add 7.

At 20th level the fighter now rolls 5d8+10 (7 str 3 magic) without feat vs 1 target
or use multi to hit up to 5 targets for 1d8+10 each
wiht the feat he would vs 1 target roll 6d8 drop the lowest and add 10 or multi up to
5 targets each hit he would roll 2d8 dropt eh lowest and add 10.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?