Help where in!,,

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where in the compendium can I find the list of various treasure parcels

Treasure By Party Level
Thanks for the link. But where in the compendium do I find it?  Or do I just type treasure by party level??

The above link can be found in the glossary.

Happy Gaming
Glossary is that a sub cayegory.  Cause I typ in treasure by party level and I get some info on a knight??
Ok found it. Grrrrr.  Damm why can't you just type what you want. And it goes there.   If I did not know it was in the glossary then ???  Again thanks everyone

Treasure By Party Level

Those are the Essentials-style random treasure tables.  As for the PARCELS (non-random), specifically, the only place you can find those is in the DMG, I believe.  For myself, I prefer the non-random parcels, but YMMV of course.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

But shouldn't all info from all the books be available in the compendium ???
But shouldn't all info from all the books be available in the compendium ???

Not all of the info.

That would be nice.  But it helps if you don't think of the online Compendium as a replacement for the rulebooks.  It's not.  It's just an encyclopedia, and it's a supplement to the books, NOT A REPLACEMENT .  It won't teach you how to play, and it won't tell you all the rules of the game because it's an encyclopedia of game elements and a glossary of rules terms, it's not a rulebook.  It won't have anything that has been updated in favor of new stuff (except by mistake ;) ).  And apparently, WoTC considers the new random treasure tables to be where it's at now, instead of the parcel tables from DMG.

So all I'm saying is if you're trying to play D&D with only the online tools, you're going to be missing a lot. At the very least you should get a Rule Compendium book to go with it.  Others might opine that you should have other books too. 

Personally, I think everyone should have an RC and either the PH, DMG and MM or else the Heroes Of ... books, the DM Kit and the Monster Vault. 

I own ALL the books, but really, I get 90% of my use out of the Rules Compendium and the online tools.  Then again, however, I started playing before the online tools existed so I kinda learned just from the PH/DMG/MM first. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Umm ... they changed it to random treasures? 

How's that work? One random treasure per encounter?

-Ask me about Sketch Combat.
No, there's a set of tables to roll on for the random method.

As for parcels, there's a fairly simple rule of thumb: at each level, a 5-character party gets four items (party level +1, +2, +3, and +4) and gold/gems/consumables equal to the cost of two items of the party's level (so 720 gp and a level 2, 3, 4, and 5 item at level 1). Divide this up across the level as appropriate.
Umm ... they changed it to random treasures? 

How's that work? One random treasure per encounter?

The book has a little table for each level of play.  IIRC, for each encounter you roll several times on the table for your level where each roll is a percentage chance to get a certain type of treasure and if you get that treasure you roll the amount.  Statistically, it works out to be the same amount of treasure as if you had used the parcels, but of course it's more random and swingy so it's very likely that you will NOT get the same amount as if you had used parcels.

I tried it at the beginning of my latest campaign and frankly we didn't like the swinginess.  Both me and my players like knowing that they're going to get a certain amount of treasure and items each level.  It makes my job easier because I can plan to award magic items to each member of the party in an even manner, and in my one campaign where I let the players pick their magic items, well, they like knowing what they can plan on getting.

But to each their own.

Sign In to post comments