D&D Next Character Sheet Contest

200 posts / 0 new
Last post
I didn't click the link, but is this seriously connected to the please approve of/compliment/validate me crapola that is facebook?
Yes.  In unrelated news, kids won't get off of your lawn.

Dear future winner, please add this to your character sheet.

Spell Level1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                                    

Heh. The funny thing is, all of this space and complexity on the character sheet space can fit into a single box.

Spell points               
Heh. The funny thing is, all of this space and complexity on the character sheet space can fit into a single box.

Spell points               

But that would be wrong in two ways. One, your consolidation would be the incorrect approach to how spell slots are used. Two this is a tracking system and not a historical reference. Oops, I forgot the start with the funny thig is...

Spell “slots” are unnecessarily complicated. There is little reason to keep track of them.

Spell points work just like hit points.

Both slots and points represent the same “magic energy” to fuel spontaneous spells.
Spell “slots” are unnecessarily complicated.

Spell points work just like hit points.

Both represent the same “magic energy” that is used to fuel spontaneous spells.

Don't worry, I understand what you meant. The only problem is that you built your whole solution around non-existant mechanics. The mechanics that you want the game to run on and not the mechanics the game actually uses. But, again, yeah I understand you want spell slots to just be a pool of points instead.

If we were to use this way of casting spells how will I know, after casting a 4-spell-points spell with 6-spell-points, instead, I can no longer cast a 6th level spell because I used the only available slot for that spell?

The spell point mechanics exists.

The designers have already announced, the 5e Wizard can choose an alternative magic system.

The spell point system is simpler than other magic systems. It works best for the default system for Basic. So beginner players can understand and use spells more self-evidently.
The spell point mechanics exists.

The designers have already announced, the 5e Wizard can choose an alternative magic system.

The spell point system is simpler than all other magic systems. It works best for the default system for Basic. So beginner players can understand and use spells more self-evidently.

Then my sincere apologies. I missed that in the playtest somehow.

To be fair, it was “announced”, but we havent seen what it looks like yet.

My hope is, all of the magic systems work at the same table. So each player can choose the one they prefer.
To be fair, it was “announced”, but we havent seen what it looks like yet.

Sorceror hinted at it...
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

So the character sheet should be developed based on rumors and hints?

Dang guys its a design contest. Obviously there'll be revisions to reflect final product.

-Brad

Apparently, thread titles are optional if you care passionately enough about something that hasn't materialized.
Well, I want the character sheet design to have spell points.

Also, as far as design goes, the slots are a huge space killer.
Anyway, the last announcement that I am aware of is in the 10/1 2012 L&L article.

After complaining about how difficult it is, it concludes with the correct solution. Each spellcasting system gets its own number of spells.

“The only thing that changes is the table for the wizard’s spell progression. Using spell points, slots, or traditional D&D casting does require some modification, but at the table you could run several casters, each using a different system, and the game functions fine. Those casters could share magic items, trade spells, and so on, without any issue.”

Well, I want the character sheet design to have spell points.

Except he contest rules state as follows:

"Submissions will be judged by ... whether the character sheet can accommodate at least all of races and classes currently in the D&D Next playtest, including Wizard..."

So, no.  You want the game to use spell points, you hope that it will and that will mean the sheet will have to accommodate it too.

But what you ended up doing was advocate that people include in their contest entries mechanics that will not accommodate the wizard "currently in the D&D Next playtest", and I think it's wrong of you to do that.  People who follow your advice will be submitting invalid entries.

Certainly if spell points end up in the next iteration the design can be changed to reflect that.  And if they decide not to use spell points, despite all the tea leaves you're reading that say otherwise, the sheet can reflect that too.

But nobody should listen to what you are urging because people who do will lose and all their effort will be for nothing.
For the most part I like what you have done Ashardis.  I, like you, cannot enter the competition due to global location.

I was happy to see weight for items added in, as this I believe is a must on a sheet for characters where weight and carrying capacity matter.

Other things I would like to see allowed for, if possible designers is:

Ammo counters.
Defined cash area other than treasure or at least as a sub section.

Regardless, keep up the good work those keen and eligible beans!  May the best person and sheet win.  And close your ears to the QQ about whatever one is chosen in advance :D
Ironic. I just designed a Character Sheet last month.

"Submissions will be judged by ... whether the character sheet can accommodate at least all of races and classes currently in the D&D Next playtest, including Wizard..."

I think that is a little stupid actuallly. Why can't we have multiple character sheets? My Cleric has no need for a manuever area, and your fighter could care less for a prepared spell section. Would it be possible for multiple sheets to be implemented? Maybe a martial sheet, arcane sheet, diveine sheet ect.?
Because they are running one contest. They are not running one contest for every class.
But what about in the future?
Who knows? This is a contest for the current playtest
Here is an updated screenshot of the HumanCleric character sheet
Kira3696.Tripod.Com
I'm trying not to have any wasted space on the sheet.
Notice how I used shorthand to list the attacks. Instead of saying the Spell DC is, I just listed it as wisDC.
Ignore the 1d20+0. This is just a program that adds the temporary ability modifier+the attack bonus.
What I did was take Speed, Senses, Traits, Alignment and any other verbose information and crammed it into a large notes field.
I'm thinking of adding spell slots.

Who knows? This is a contest for the current playtest

I really like the style of the character sheet in the playtesting pack, particularly the graphics.  After reading about the competition I eagerly started trying to make a good character sheet into a great character sheet.  I worked on it for a couple of days but in that time I unfortunately read that only US/Canda competitors could enter so coming from Northern Ireland I am unable.  Please feel free WotC to use any ideas and please delete if I have broken any copyright laws or offended anyone at WotC, this was not my intention.  Good luck with D&D Next I think you may do well with this edition.  Don't rush it out thou and try to keep errata down to a minimum. 

Does anyone know if the contest rules requires a single page as the entry?  Or can we enter a 2-page character sheet.  The official rules are pretty vague and just say it needs to be a 300dpi .jpeg.  If we must post a single file, then are they expecting to see 2 pages posted side-by-side as a single .jpeg?

If someone knows the details on this PLEEEASE let me know as I am struggling with the one page sheet format.

Thanks in advance!!!

When I posted My entry, the contest would only let Me put up a single file, so I had to put it on a single image side by side for the Front and Back
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Ah okay... that's kind of what I thought might happen.  I was just worried about how a side-by-side 2-page image would look in the end.  I guess since WotC will just slice and dice and take what they want from it that it doesn't much matter.  It's about getting the basic idea and format for your sheet across.
'Cause honestly, it is hard as all hell to fit ALL the D&D Next stuff on one single 8.5"x11" page.

Thanks for the heads up and confirmation regarding your post, Shaman... makes sense to post the side-by-side version.
Good luck on your entry!

Wait, Mearls just said in the newest L&L that the entire concept of skills is going to be changed. Won't that make whatever we do obsolete by the time the contest ends?
"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
Like others have said before, WotC will simply take what they want from the winning submission.  If skills change then they'll just have their graphic designers tweak what is needed.  The winner's .jpeg probably won't be the actual sheet that goes out... it could, but I doubt it.  Think they just want the ideas from it.

Yes, I think the concepts are what they are after. The end result will probably draw ideas from several entries. I for one am glad at the chance to submit a design. I always make my own sheets anyway and the chace to influence the final design is worth an entry whether they pick mine or not.

Veteran of The Transfer... Add 700 to my post count... 

Also, knowing that its a playtest, when I designed my sheet, I put in some customization space and left some of the specificity out that might have otherwise been included. But I think most people are right when they say its the concept more than the totality of the sheet they are after.

good luck everyone! 
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
I can't get this answered through email or the facebook page for the contest, apparently, so I'm trying here.

I've been assuming that the "Black and White" restriction on the entries permits varying levels of gray as well. Can I get some kind of confirmation that this is the case, and we are not just restricted to 100% black and 100% white?
I can't get this answered through email or the facebook page for the contest, apparently, so I'm trying here.

I've been assuming that the "Black and White" restriction on the entries permits varying levels of gray as well. Can I get some kind of confirmation that this is the case, and we are not just restricted to 100% black and 100% white?

Mine's going to have grey shading, and I think a submission that another player displayed also had grey on it. I'd say go ahead.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

The rules say specifically "black and white".  So when I submitted mine, I made sure it was just that.  Use shades of gray with caution I say.  With all the entries they are getting, I'm sure they are looking to purge the stack with those that didn't follow the rules as they were written.

I guess I'm just erring on the side of caution.

I can see your point, Dunarian. I was thinking "B&W" as opposed to "colour."

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I can see your point, Dunarian. I was thinking "B&W" as opposed to "colour."

I thought the same.
I assume they mean greyscale, since their own sheet is actually off black. That said, an important guideline is that it work well with a photo-copier.
Wait, Mearls just said in the newest L&L that the entire concept of skills is going to be changed. Won't that make whatever we do obsolete by the time the contest ends?

As someone who has spent an unreasonable amount of time polishing his own submission, I'd really like this answered.

You'd think they'd have the game in a more stable state before they'd ask us to design something for it. 
I've entered the contest. You can look at my sheet here:

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/Shazane_...

I decided to fit all of the character information (abilities, skills, feats, class features, racial features, combat numbers, miscellaneous features) all on the first page, then have a full page for inventory and a full page for magic (which non-casters can simply forego instead of having an unused section on their sheet), and then a page for the DM to keep track of the party.

I'm no expert graphics designer, but maybe it can inspire some ideas for the final sheet at least.
I've entered the contest. You can look at my sheet here

I really like it. Kudos...nice tought on the DM sheet too  #goodluck

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter