D&D Next Character Sheet Contest

Are you known for your character sheet creation skills? OR maybe you just really want to make sure we have a D&D Next character sheet that is functional and easy to look at. Well, either way this contest is for you. Check out the Character Sheet Contest on our FB page for all the info!

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

If only I had mad excel skills...
My two copper.
Me too.. : )

But i welcome the idea and look forward to see some final ones  Good luck to all participants!  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Hey Trevor no fair,

what about the rest of the world having a chance to submit something!  In this day an age a competition on facebook that doesn't invite submissions from the world, seems just archaic!!! 

Ab
UK artist and designer! 

Dear future winner, please add this to your character sheet.

Spell Level1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                                    

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

Anyone know what the "publication" is? The game's not anywhere near being published, is it?
I have a vague idea why this can't be a worldwide contest, but it still bugs me.

Also, .jpg submission?  Why not .png, it's lossless, and much more heavily used for design these days?

Also, there only appears to be 75% judging (originality is the other 25%, presumably, but it's not actually mentioned).  And illusive judges; you do realise that means illusory (or, non-existent); the word you're looking for is elusive, presumably, though I'm not sure why they should be elusive.

Did no-one proofread this?

The implications are somewhat concerning.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Can we have an answer as to why only residents of the USA and Canada can take part? If you have a rational explanation then what is it?
Mmm....

According to the rules. I can write my entry in black finger paints. I just have to scan it.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                                    

In addition to this, please include boxes/slots to record or check off spent hit dice, spent experience dice, spent channel divinity, etc.
This is really cool. I have seen some really impressive fan-made char sheets, and they always seem to outshine the official ones (no offense, WotC). A few suggestions for char sheet design:

- Kill_the_wiz's spell chart seems like a great idea. I would suggest adding a box for writing in prepared spells, though.
- An expertise dice-tracking section would be very nice. A "miscellaneous ability" section for tracking Ki, Channel Divinity, etc. would also be great.
- I love how the current sheet has two columns for Equipment & Treasure, so you can track the two separately. Very handy for keeping track of useful items and gear and at the same time tracking how many valuable items the party has.
- I remember someone (I forget who it was, sorry for forgetting!) made a really great "Party Sheet". If something similar could be worked into the char sheet, maybe with just a section for campaign notes or something, this would be really cool.
- A "Spellbook" section would be excellent, as a section where you can track how many spells you know/have prepared.

Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                                    

In addition to this, please include boxes/slots to record or check off spent hit dice, spent experience dice, spent channel divinity, etc.

Oh, I also meant to include boxes to record arcane recovery uses, too.

Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                                    

Or this:

Spell Level123456789
Slots Avail.         
Slots Used.                    
I'm a real fan of the Encounters style char sheets.  All on one glossy card
Can we have an answer as to why only residents of the USA and Canada can take part? If you have a rational explanation then what is it?

Contest law varies even more between different countries. If you were to open up a contest to people all over the world, you would have to research the law in every single country on earth, to avoid getting yourself in legal trouble. For a typical promotional contest, this is just too much work. The legal fees for the required research would be much more than the payoff of the promotion. Additionally, there are some problematic legal questions inherent in any international contest. For example, if something were to go wrong, -- say, the prize was lost in shipping -- what court would the contest winner go to? It would be a very tough legal question just figuring out who had jurisdiction.

What it comes down to is that it's just too much work for a company to find out how to cover themselves, legally, in multiple countries and in all states. After all, the typical rules and regulations of a contest running only in the United States take up 20 or so paragraphs. Just think how small a company would have to make the print to cover itself internationally!

Anyone know what the "publication" is? The game's not anywhere near being published, is it?

They tend to still refer to the dragon magazine articles as a publication, even though it is web published.

So it might be that they are published in a dragon magazine article. 
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Love it Shamanstarr!  Its not too flashy yet simple and functional. I like that you left blank sections for users to name as they wish too. #goodluck

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Yeah, thanks Plaguescarred, I always like to put in special "custom blocks" when I design character sheets...you never know what someone might put in them, but its nice to have a place to seperate out these kinds of things, especially if you get 3 or 4 different things you need. I've been using Spreadsheets to design Character sheets seems like forever, used to use the old DOS based Lotus 1-2-3 and Multimate programs back in the day. This one was built using Open Office, then print-screened and posted in Paint so I could make it a JPEG as required by the contest (My printer/scanner isn't hooked up right now)

In another file, I'm working on an Open Office Character Generator, when I'm done, I should even be able to have it export to these sheets. 

Question: Are we allowed to use the Dungeons & Dragons logo in our submissions?

While I do not know the answer to this, you could always block off an appropriately shaped area and mark it "logo goes here" or somesuch...
Trevor, I don't want to enter the contest but you can have a look at my character sheet screen shot inspired by D&D5 for my homebrew game.

Have a look here. kira3696.tripod.com
Looks nice Shamanstarr! It needs one final touch (and this is very much just my opinion) but the character portrait (or is that it on the right of the second (back) page? Image is too small to figure out what some stuff says.

The self portrait was the best funniest part! "So how does your stickman have STR 18/00 again? heh

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

My interpretation is that D&D Next is the "publication" so that the potential winner could see their character sheet design being used in upcoming release packets and even in the finished product once it is...well, finished.  So, and this is just my interpretation, you may get to walk away with a free copy of the game.

My interpretation is that D&D Next is the "publication" so that the potential winner could see their character sheet design being used in upcoming release packets and even in the finished product once it is...well, finished.  So, and this is just my interpretation, you may get to walk away with a free copy of the game.

Yeah, that's just awesome...the ability to get the possibility of a free copy of the game and your name hidden somewhere in the book for the benefit of doing work that WotC's in-house graphic designer ought to be paid for doing or if not that person, some freelance graphic designer.

Not to mention, this is incredibly backwards for the computer era. The obvious 5e character sheet is 4e's monster stat block. List stats, skills, traits, the various possible 'standard' actions, what they do and how often they can be used, list uses for expertise dice, and list ways the build can typically gain advantage that are class specific.

Simple, straightforward, easy to use, and understood instantly by the vast majority of 4e players and anti-4e players won't generally know where it came from...
Actually, the Portrait box on the back just says "Symbol or Portrait" and nothing more. Its just a space to use for that.

Legal issues I would think.

Legal issues I would think.

Sounds about right. There are a lot of countries where IP rights belong solely to the creator, even if the work was created for hire or as a derivative or extension of some other work that the creator had no legal rights to (fan films for example). Germany, for instance, does not allow for the transfering IP rights - so even if WotC made you sign a contract saying that they would own your submission, it wouldn't hold up in court and you could sue the bejeesus out of them for publishing your character sheet*.

*and by "bejeesus" I mean like a few hundred euro, because I seriously doubt you could convince a judge that your character sheet was the sole cause of much revenue.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/7.jpg)

I was sad to hear this is only for residents of North America. It's only mentioned in the fine print :/

Why is a global game limited to just Americans to enter when there seems to be no financial reward? Seems terribly silly not to let 80% of the internet population to enter.
I was sad to hear this is only for residents of North America. It's only mentioned in the fine print :/

Why is a global game limited to just Americans to enter when there seems to be no financial reward? Seems terribly silly not to let 80% of the internet population to enter.

Tell your nation's politicians to create some sort of International Convention on Internet Contests.  I'm amazed that Canada is allowed to enter.  It's just not worth the time to be spent on Wizards' legal counsel to research every nation's laws to determine which countries' citizens can be allowed to enter the contest.
Any chance they are doing this for class design in the future, I have an awesome idea for a swappable casting system I would love to submit...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
One thing that I would love. A character sheet with alllll the math. Very indepth etc . Like a normal 3rd edition character sheet or something. The other MORE VALUABLE one would be an essentials like sheet where you just have the stuff you normally need in a gaming session. 
The listed abilities are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intellect, Wisdom, and Charisma

Why changing intelligence into Intellect when Wisdom is the ability that screams for a total change of name ?

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

I'd like to know this, too!

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

The listed abilities are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intellect, Wisdom, and Charisma

Why changing intelligence into Intellect when Wisdom is the ability that screams for a total change of name ?

Holy crow how the heck did someone miss THAT blunder?  It's not like this has been flawlessly-done, but getting 1/6 of the ability scores wrong?

This bodes ill.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Holy crow how the heck did someone miss THAT blunder?  It's not like this has been flawlessly-done, but getting 1/6 of the ability scores wrong?

This bodes ill.

I wonder if that is just a typo, or if they are actually changing the name...
Fairly sure its a typo. D&D never used intellect in place of intelligence. The order of attributes changed over the editions, but they essentially remained the same. With comliness at some point optionally introduced.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I'm amazed that Québec is allowed to enter.
Yeah we're normally out of most US contests.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I'd like to know this, too!

I left it off just in case, figuring that it could be Watermarked or something if they decided to use it. It could also fit as a banner logo at the top of the sheet or replace the Character Portrait, or one of the custom boxes at the bottom if need be.

Golly gee, unpaid labour masquerading as a contest! At last, the opportunity to do graphic design work and maybe if I do a really good job then I will have the deep satisfaction of watching a company actually use it without giving me compensation! Thank you Wizards of the Coast, for this wonderous contest.