I see pics of it but not sure how it's pulled off. How would you wield a 2 handed weapon and both a light shield?Example Magic Item Compendium pg 196. Long Spear and Shield.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I see pics of it but not sure how it's pulled off.  How would you wield a 2 handed weapon and both a light shield?
Example Magic Item Compendium pg 196.  Long Spear and Shield.

I don't know what book you're talking about, but it's just a picture, so don't expect it to necessarily match up with the rules.

AFAIK, there's no way to wield a two-handed weapon and a light shield at the same time.  If someone knows of a rules element that allows for this, enlighten me.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I see pics of it but not sure how it's pulled off.  How would you wield a 2 handed weapon and both a light shield?

Its a picture my friend.... The artist obviously just painted it there. There is no way to do that unless you're a large creature I think.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

There is no "Magic Item Compendium" in 4e...
Samrin, I'm sure you are a well respected contributor, but that is irrelevant to my question. 
Thank you.
Samrin, I'm sure you are a well respected contributor, but that is irrelevant to my question. 
Thank you.

No, it is entirely relevant. This is the Fourth Edition General Forum and as you are clearly speaking of a non-Fourth Edition book, you're in the wrong section. I believe you might want to try the Previous Editions forum further down the site. You're likely to get a more appropriate answer there.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
And, in 3e, it's probably possible somehow.
And, in 3e, it's probably possible somehow.

Not that I can recall. And I'm a huge 3.5 fan. Except for maybe playing a large creature, like I said before.

I'm not the most knowledgeable of 3.5 but isn't that a Monkeygrip schenangin?
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

Yeah Monkey grip (I think is a homebrewed feat) is where you can use a weapon one size category larger. But I'm not sure if thats in 1 hand.

Yeah Monkey grip (I think is a homebrewed feat) is where you can use a weapon one size category larger. But I'm not sure if thats in 1 hand.

No, it was printed in a couple of official sourcebooks.
Thank you.

It is entirely relevant to your question. This is 4e General Discussion. 4e contains no such book. You're obviously asking a question about a different edition of the game, or perhaps another game entirely. 

If you specify what you are playing, we might be able to help. The question is better asked in the appropriate section, though. 
In 4e, you can wield Large weapons in one hand, but it requires the out of date Monster Manual rules to do so, or an Epic Destiny (Eternal Defender, I think it's called) that would allow you to use a longspear in one hand, and a shield in the other.
To my knowledge, there is NOT a way to do that short of those two methods.
So many PCs, so little time...

If you're asking in terms of 3.5 rules:

It is possible that the character in question is not wielding a long spear, but a similiar spear-type weapon, such as a shortspear or javelin.  A shortspear's not necessarily "short".  It's just short enough to not be too awkward to use in one hand.

It's also possible to wield a buckler and a two-handed weapon.  Though you take a penalty to your attack rolls for so doing.  The spears the Spartans use in 300 would be shortspears.

And finally, if your epic, there is a feat that would allow you to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand.  I can't recall the name of the feat, but I believe it was printed in the Complete Warrior, and possibly several other sources. 

If you're asking in terms of 4e rules:

Again, it's possible the character is wielding a different spear-like weapon.

There are probably other methods, though none come to mind at the moment.

Also, 4e, more than past editions, encourages you to reflavor the mechanics as you wish.  So even if you don't have "longspear" printed on your character sheet, you could still describe your character as wielding a longspear, or whatever other weapon you wish.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />If you're asking in terms of in-game narrative:

D&D is fantasy, so PC's can get way with improbable or unrealistic fighting styles.  The character is simply strong or skilled enough to wield a weapon and shield combination that simply wouldn't work in real life.  And considering the game includes stuff like elves, dragons, and magic, fighting with a big, pointy stick is not all that unreasonable.

Though ultimately:

Artistic license.  The artists who are commissioned to the the artwork for D&D books are not strictly bound to "realistic" expectations nor the rules of the game.  As long as their art meets whatever criteria laid out by their employers, they're basically free to do whatever comes to their imaginations.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
In 4e you could do something like Hafted Defense? and just reflavor it as carrying a shield, even though in game terms you're not actually using a shield.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Just as a side note, the character in the illustration on page 196 of the 3.5 MIC isn't actually wielding a longspear and shield in combat - there's a banner attached to the spear and the character's leading a charge...

But, in any event, the others have already listed the possible ways to do so for both editions.

And yes, which edition you're playing makes a great deal of difference in how you're mechanically able to do something... Considering that the image was from the Magic Item Compendium, it certainly could have been the illustration for a magic item that allowed a character to wield both a 2-handed weapon and a shield. But the book was from 3.5, and this is the 4E forum.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

If you're on horseback, the spear is just meant for charging.

Likewise, you get something like Lord of the Rings, where the spears aren't really meant for 1v1 combat, but rather to repel people on horseback. 
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 
Thanks Welfin