Starting a Level 1 Cleric.....What is the Best Way to Boost Healing???

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
That pretty much sums it all up. Trying to make a level 1 healer and I'm just guessing that cleric is best either way, our game is going to be tomorrow and I'm at this point commited to being a cleric. So this is what I have!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Geoffrey, level 1
Longtooth Shifter, Cleric (Templar)
Cleric Option: Healer's Lore
Proficiency: Weapon Proficiency (Longsword)
Recent Life - Fighting Undead (+2 to Religion)
Theme: Knight Hospitaler

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 13

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Ref: 11 Will: 16
HP: 23 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +6, Heal +9, Insight +9, Religion +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –2, Arcana +0, Athletics +5, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, History +0, Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth –2, Streetwise +1, Thievery –2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion
Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
Cleric Utility: Favor of the Gods
Cleric Feature: Turn Undead
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Attack 1: Astral Seal
Cleric Attack 1: Blessing of Battle
Cleric Attack 1: Healing Strike
Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Cleric Armaments

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Brew Potion
Unseen Servant
Chainmail x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol x1
Longsword x1
Light Shield x1
====== End ======

Any thoughts??? 

I'm guessing the cookie cutter answer would be to not play a cleric, be a warlord instead, enable your strikers, kill monsters quicker, and not need healing.

Not sure why you think you need more healing, but perhaps dropping Strength altogether in favor of a little more Wis and Cha can do the trick ?

If you pick Battle Clerics Lore you improve your own defenses, so you yourself will require less healing, and you can pick up a feat that boosts your healing word.

You really don't want to focus on just healing.  Healing is just a small part of what a cleric or any leader does in 4E.  You also need to focus on attack buffing, saving throws, and when possible handing out attacks.  Usually the default healing word with a couple of other healing powers picked over time is about enough.

First thing I would do is lose healers lore.   Deselect that for battle clerics lore.  Battle clerics lore was a fix that they added to make the cleric work a lot better.  It will significantly boost your AC and make some of your healing powers also boost attacks.  And its lets you drop Battle Cleric Armaments and pick up a better 2 handed weapon like a greatspear or fullblade.  Or you can stick with a morning star and pick up the good simple weapon powers.

You encoutner/daily power selection is fine, though I would lose your at wills.  Astral seal is not worth it unless you really focus on boosting it which includes making charsima your secondary stat and even then surge free healing isn't that important.  Similarly blessing of battle is a decent power, but requires that you boost con.  If you are doing a str/wis build (which is a good idea because it lets you pick from most of the best powers) you need to pick powers that don't need a high con or cha to be effective.

There are a lot of good at wills to pick from that don't need a secondary stat so ones like righteous brand, brand of the sun, burden of earth, fell strike, icon of fear, sacred flame, and gaze of defiance all can work.  Pick a mix that let you do different things (don't pick both sacred flame and brand of the sun for instance) and I would pick one ranged and one melee.

There is a cleric guide in my signature. 
Definately read the Holy Smoke! handbook if you haven't already. *points at GO's signature above* A very good guide and I really liked it.

I see you are going with a str build and although I like healers lore I have to agree with the above that Battle Clerics Lore is the better choice. It wasn't out yet when I made my cleric, but the extra AC makes you a lot less squashy and as a healer you don't want to be the one needing the healing. Seeing the str build has quite a few melee powers you will not be a backrowchar so you can imagine that AC is an important defence.

Astral Seal sounds fun, but it takes to much of an investment for it to be really effective and is a power better suited on a charisma build. You should be taking strength powers (or only wis powers). Righteous Brand would probably be my first choice.

Basicly what GO already said xD

If you really want to have a focus on healing I would probably not go with the strength build, but chose the cha build, but I personally feel the str build is more fun for most people and still has quite a bit of healing.
if you went battle cleric's lore, you could[should/must] dump the battle cleric armaments feat and just get a military weapon from your background, if you like mixing it up in melee you could take Battle Healer and heal yourself when you heal others

or you forget about strength, and try to focus a bit with the power selection, they're all over the place, you've got one with a con rider and a con of 11, so it doesn't actually do anything, Astral Seal works off charisma and your charisma isn't high enough to make a big difference there either, you will want to pick a primary and a secondary rather than taking two attack stats and having all your riders be weak, try to zero in on one thing and be better at it, you're very spread out as is
Lets see if my spoiler works xD

I quickly made a few changes. You can see right away you have more AC this way. If you want to go for Full Blade or not is something you might want to look at, but the +3 to hit is a big seling point for me ;)

Show
level 1
Longtooth Shifter, Cleric
Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 23 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +4, Diplomacy +5, Insight +9, Heal +9

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Channel Divinity: Favor of the Gods
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS Ritual Book, Scale Armor, Fullblade
PS: I did not really look at background and themes seeing some groups have rather strict rules on them, but there is definately still some room there. ;)
If you really want to focus on having good healing, hold off on Fullblade until Level 2 and take the battlefront healer feat first. Never will those "free" 4 HP on yourself be more valuable than at 1st level.   

For your Level 1 Daily, Beacon is good, but Moment of Glory is just awesome, even if you don't hit a single enemy with it. That also means you want Superior Will fairly early though so Daze doesn't hose you on it, say around level 6.
Sign In to post comments