Party problems

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
My party has a monk,ranger(archery) and a cleric and me (not quite sure yet). We need a defender but I also want to deal some damage. I was thinking a beserker barbarian, but Im not quite sure.
My party has a monk,ranger(archery) and a cleric and me (not quite sure yet). We need a defender but I also want to deal some damage. I was thinking a beserker barbarian, but Im not quite sure.

You don't need a defender. Play whatever you want, just take the group make-up into account when you strategize.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

You don't need a defender. Play whatever you want, just take the group make-up into account when you strategize.

This.

Berserkers are great fun.  They deal decent damage, particularly with the defender aura triggered attacks.  And the berserker fury give you some flexibilty to change tactics.

Another way to go if you don't want to strictly be a defender but want to be heavily armored would be blackguard.

Don't sell fighters short though.  They can deal out some pretty good damage and have a very solid mark.

TjD

If you have some more experience with the game, consider a Swordmage|Warlock hybrid, taking Eldritch Strike as your Warlock at-will. Here's an example.
Thx for the advice, if anyone has seen or played a berserker please tell me if it was fun.
I found the berserker to be fun
Ditto.  Mine's 7th level at the moment, and all the tricks are starting to come online.  It's good.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
As Centari said, you really don't need a defender with that make-up.

It looks like you would enjoy a Rageborn Barbarian. They are heavy striker and can dabble in the defender area enough taht you would probably be pleased.

You could also go fighter (tempest or greatweapon) and do incredible damage.

Berserker...not a favorite of mine.
I was also thinking thief.
but we already got a ranger.

It really does not matter how many of each type you have (damage, tank, etc). Any group makeup works, do not allow the "suggested" party affect your decisions. If it affecting the party they must speak with the DM and solve that. 

The DM should do some adjustments, not catering competely, but slight adjustments are fine. 

I second the swordmage-warlock hybrid. It works well, it's very fun to play (especially going assault swordmage) you still get a defender shtick and do relatively good damage

The berserker in the pregen thread in my sig has been played by a good number of players at conventions and other events that I run.  I rarely hear complaints.  I've played something similar from 1-5 and enjoyed it.  I actually thought there were enough design flaws (and spare design space) in the berserker concept that I made my own class to be a dex defender and played that through all heroic and part of paragon.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

A tempest fighter (two swords) can both mark and stab.

My experience with having two attacks per turn (Next Monk) is that you usually get one hit out of two; this adds to the fun.  The damage won't show up in one big splat, but like woodshavings it adds up.  You also can set your friends up (especially the rogue - Combar Advantage) so they get to be powerful and fun.  My question - influenced by my son's Warlord - is, "How can I help the rest of the group do BETTER than they would alone?"  Keeping Team Monster's attention on you will be a help to them.  Weave and bob in fromt of the cleric a lot.

I've seen a Warlord / Barbarian team work well at a convention because they can take turns off-tanking.  A properly-built Cleric (armor!) plus you-as-Barbarian should also work out. 

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Um... hello? I think that as the thread is over a year old, he has figured out what he wants to be by now.

THIS IS SHARDMIND!

--Lord_of_Asdf

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)