Mobility/Acrobatic Spiked Chain Wielding Rogue

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oops, put this in the wrong forum earlier.

Hi all! I'm creating a high mobility spiked chain user. He's going to be jumping and moving both himself and enemies/objects. I plan on being completely over the top in terms of using that chain for whatever trouble I can get into and how brutal I can possibly be in combat with it. Here's what I have so far, I'm starting at lvl 5. I'm trying to iron out a good combo to keep myself in combat advantage while allowing for control/movement options. Thoughts? I could have skipped over something useful. Thanks

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Quinn, level 5
Human, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Artful Dodger
Rogue Option: Sharpshooter Talent
Sharpshooter Talent Option: Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Occupation - Infiltrator (+2 to Bluff)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Ref: 23 Will: 16
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Athletics +8, Bluff +11, Insight +6, Perception +6, Stealth +12, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Religion +2, Streetwise +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Rogue Attack 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Duelist's Flurry
Rogue Attack 1: Sly Lunge
Rogue Attack 1: Handspring Assault
Rogue Utility 2: Fleeting Ghost
Rogue Attack 3: Setup Strike
Rogue Attack 5: Downward Spiral

FEATS
Far Shot
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Superior Reflexes
Level 4: Cunning Stalker

ITEMS
Lightning Spiked chain +1 x1
Gloaming Shroud +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Trail Rations
Sunrod
Climber's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Breaching Leather Armor +1 x1
Shuriken
Dagger
Short sword
Hand crossbow
Crossbow Bolts
Spidersilk Mantle +1
====== End ======
Duelist's Flurry is not very good. I'd take Heroic Effort or maybe another at-will that lets you move.

Fleeting Ghost is only going to work when you meet all the requirements to be hidden. Might want to check out the stealth guide to make sure you have all those rules down. In short, you might not get as much combat use out of this as you might be anticipating. Tumble might be better here if you have someone you can flank with.

Setup Strike really isn't great either. I know you're worried about CA, but it's not worth blowing an encounter power on. Low Slash is very, very good and also fits your desire to add some control.

Superior Reflexes is redundant for a rogue. You already get CA your first turn due to First Strike or whatever, as long as you don't bomb your init roll. I'd take Light Blade Expertise instead.

Once you have Cunning Stalker, you really shouldn't have trouble with CA. And if your party works with you, you'll have CA most of the time even without it. If you're really not getting CA easily, I'd take Cunning Stalker earlier rather than taking bad powers just for CA.
Ok I put in heroic effort, and kept Clever Strike and Deft Strike as my at-will. I swapped out Fleeting Ghost for Tumble as you suggested, I think I'll gain more mobility with that. Low Slash looks pretty slick too.

With a chain, I can take Flail Expertise as well, and add more control knocking them prone when I slide them. Would this possibly be an option vs the +1 damage from light blade?

I also swapped Sly Lunge for Positioning Strike, after thinking more on it, Between the clever strike and Cunning Stalker I can almost always have CA when I need it.

Any suggestions on a magic item? Lvl 5 or lower? Lightning looks slick, but Chainreach looked really neat too. My first rogue so I'm having to adjust my tactics a bit. Thanks for your help!
Superior Reflexes is not useful on a rogue.

Why do you take Sly Lunge? It's awful. Positioning Strike, Opening Move, Dazing Strike, and King's Castle are all vastly superior options.

Likewise, Duelist's Flurry is awful. If you wanted some at-will forced movement, take Bloodhound Style and use Disheartening Strike. And maybe consider flail expertise while you're at it.

Low Slash at level 3. No ifs or buts. 
Made a lot of changes based on what y'all said, I'm getting more forced movement out of this, I like it. Flail expertise may be in my future for the prone bit. How's this look? Thanks for the help!

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Quinn, level 5
Human, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Artful Dodger
Rogue Option: Sharpshooter Talent
Sharpshooter Talent Option: Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Occupation - Infiltrator (+2 to Bluff)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 13, WIS 8, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 13, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Ref: 21 Will: 16
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Athletics +8, Bluff +11, Insight +6, Perception +6, Stealth +12, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Religion +3, Streetwise +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Rogue Attack 1: Disheartening Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Positioning Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Trick Strike
Rogue Utility 2: Tumble
Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash
Rogue Attack 5: Bat Aside

FEATS
Far Shot
Backstabber
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training
Level 2: Bloodhound Style
Level 4: Cunning Stalker

At level 5, Bloodbath would let you apply your damage modifiers twice. It's one of the few powers Rogues have that allow modifier stacking. Also, if you're looking at Lightning and slide/prone with Flail Expertise, Mark of Storm is where it's at.
With a chain, I can take Flail Expertise as well, and add more control knocking them prone when I slide them. Would this possibly be an option vs the +1 damage from light blade?

It's certainly an option. Just weigh how often you'll actually knock prone vs. doing a little extra damage.  But yeah with a Lightning Weapon and Mark of Storms, all your attacks would knock prone - if you want to go that route. Some DMs may see this as too cheesy depending on the op level you guys are playing at.

Just keep in mind an enemy that's prone next to you is probably going to stand up and swing at you on his turn, which isn't quite as desirable on a rogue as it is on a defender (aside from Riposte Strike builds).