Longtooth Shapeshifters in Next

I'm about to boot up my first D&D campaign ever that I have run.  I own the 3.5 books, but I had some friends that were really interested in trying Next so I am going to run that instead.  The only issue I have before ever starting is that 1 of my 5 party members wants to be a Longtooth Shapeshifter which he read about online.  The good thing is he's excited, the bad thing is I'm not sure how to handle them in Next because I don't know how much the numbers change from system to system.

From looking at other races, I would imagine that a +1str, +1wis would be more in line with what is in Next already.  Thoughts?
Also with the racial power, is the +2dmg boost and +2regen OP at all?  I really don't have a clue as this is my first DMing campaign and everyone's first shot at Next.

If it changes anything, he is going to play Cleric.  Oh, and if you have any ideas with other traits and how to port them balanced please let me know.  Super excited to get this thing going!
RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5'7" - 6'0"
Average Weight: 130 - 180

Ability scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares. 
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Choice of one language, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance.
Longtooth Shifting: You have the longtooth shifting power.

Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting

You unleash the beast within and take on a savage countenance.

Encounter  Healing
Minor Action Personal

Requirement: You must be bloodied.

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. In addition, while you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2.
Level 11: Regeneration 4.
Level 21: Regeneration 6.

I'd go +1 STR OR WIS, regen 1 (or 2) and skip the damage bonus to keep it balanced. Regen is very strong in DDN
Maybe take a look at how the Next Barbarian does its regen and see if you can crib that ability over to shifter. Maybe a 1/day basis?
Here's how I would convert the mechanics of the shifter over to playtest format

SHIFTER
Ability adjustment: Your starting Wisdom increases by 1.
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Low-light. You can see in dim light as well as you do in bright light.
Claws: You have claws, which count as weapons in which you are naturally proficient.  They have the light and finesse properties and inflict 1d6 slashing damage.  They cannot be disarmed (unless your hands are amputated).  You can hold weapons, shields, or other items in your claws without penalty.
Naturally keen: You have advantage when making ability checks to cross or avoid hazardous terrain in a natural environment.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.
Subrace: Choose a subrace. Two subraces are described here: longtooth and razorclaw.

Longtooth Shifter
Ability adjustment: Your starting Strength increases by 1.
Longtooth Shifting: If you take damage that leaves you with less than half your maximum hit points, as a reaction, you can shift your form to become more bestial.  In this form, you gain a bonus to melee weapon damage equal to +2 and you gain resistance to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage.  This power ends after one minute or if you are healed to more than half your maximum hit points. This power can be invoked once a day.

Razorclaw Shifter
Ability adjustment: Your starting Dexterity increases by 1.
Razorclaw Shifting: If you take damage that leaves you with less than half your maximum hit points, as a reaction you can shift your form to become more bestial.  In this form, your speed increases by 10 feet, you gain a +1 bonus to AC, advantage on Dexterity saves, and enemies have disadvantage when making opportunity attacks against you when you leave their reach.  This power ends after one minute or if you are healed to more than half your maximum hit points. This power can be invoked once a day.
I like Wrecan's overall design.

However I think it should be reaction vs action to shift. Especially considering the duration & HP restrictions already are limiting enough. If want the bonuses to kick in fast.
Wow, thanks for the quick and thorough responses.  I think I'm going to go with Wrecan's build because it seems to be a pretty direct port.  I like the racial as a once per day for sure though and the time limit of 1 minute or until healed past 1/2.

I'll take a look at action vs reaction for sure per bawlie's suggestion.

Thanks a bunch for all the info guys.  I'll try to remember and post back here after a few encounters and see how he does. 
I like bawylie's suggested change.
Awesome, then it looks like a done deal!  Now hopefully everybody else doesn't want to go pick a more obscure race and sticks to their humans and dwarves...
Tieflings!
I'd go +1 STR OR WIS, regen 1 (or 2) and skip the damage bonus to keep it balanced. Regen is very strong in DDN

Keep in mind that the regeneration is only while bloodied, and can only put you at slightly over your bloodied value. So it's not nearly as good as one might imagine.

Overall I wouldn't figure it'd be too imbalanced if that was thier only ability.

I'd probably toss them some kind of flavor ability like "Advantage on checks to notice smells" or something similar to reflect some of thier animalistic parts.
How about allowing the character to spend a HD after reverting back (and have the result auto-maximized)?

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Excellent build Wrecan! I might just have to use this later *copy, paste, save*
Tieflings!

Okay...
TIEFLING
Ability adjustment: Your starting Intelligence increases by 1.
Vision: See your subrace, below.
Infernal Resistance: You resist fire damage.
Infernal Training: You are proficient with the flail, morningstar, and whip
Deceptive: You have advantage when making Charisma checks to deceive people.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.
Subrace: Choose a subrace. Two subraces are described here: Baatorian and Turathi.

Baatorian Tiefling
Darkvision: You possess darkvision, allowing you to treat darkness within 60 feet of you as dim light.  When you do so, you see only in black and white.
Darkness: Once a day, as an action, you can invoke a darkness effect as if you cast the spell.

Turathi Tiefling
Ability adjustment: Your starting Charisma increases by 1.
Low-light vision. You can see in dim light as well as you do in bright light.
Infernal Wrath: When you are hit with an attack that causes you damage, as a reaction, the creature that damaged you takes fire damage equal to half your level plus your Charisma modifier (2 fire damage minimum).  It requires an action to recharge this power so it can be used again.
Oh Wrecan, you're my hero!
Oh Wrecan, you're my hero!

First off, thanks for all this info...maybe we'll have a tiefling too(now that it's built!).  One thing though...

How would you scale this ability from the original.  They boost the regen, but since we have killed that in the Next build, would you recommend anything else at lvl 11 and 21 or just hold it as is?

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. In addition, while you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2.
Level 11: Regeneration 4.
Level 21: Regeneration 6. 
I wouldn't give regen.  That's really impossible to scale in this edition.  That's why I gave the longtooth resistance against weapon damage instead.  Resistance is automatically scaling.  Darkvision and darkness seem like plenty for racial abilities
I wouldn't give regen.  That's really impossible to scale in this edition.  That's why I gave the longtooth resistance against weapon damage instead.  Resistance is automatically scaling.

Awesome, I knew regen was tossed out for that but didn't know if I should put something in at higher levels or not.  Since resistances achieve that end I understand what you have done now.
Great write-ups wrecan!

However, the Baatorian Tielfling's resistance to 3 energy types seems a little too OP. 
Great write-ups wrecan!

However, the Baatorian Tielfling's resistance to 3 energy types seems a little too OP. 

I was thinking that.  I'm not even sure how that is thematically appropriate.  I saw it in the 3e tiefling write-up, but I'm not even sure why it makes sense.
Cool writeups! Thoughts:

1. The shifter claws should probably be finesse, shouldn't they? 
2. The razorclaw's shifting seems less impressive. Maybe either +2 AC, +20 feet of movement, or advantage on ALL Dex checks and not just saves? 
3. Maybe the tiefling should get a bonus specifically to Charisma checks to deceive people? Don't want rules-lawyers trying to use it every time they stealth.
4. Infernal Wrath should probably call for a saving throw (maybe Con with a static DC?). That much auto-damage is probably a bit overpowered.
1. The shifter claws should probably be finesse, shouldn't they? 

Yes.  Added.

2. The razorclaw's shifting seems less impressive. Maybe either +2 AC, +20 feet of movement, or advantage on ALL Dex checks and not just saves? 

I disagree. +2 to AC is huge.  +20 to movement is too much.  Advantage on all Dex checks is outlandish.  I highly recommend not implementing such changes.

3. Maybe the tiefling should get a bonus specifically to Charisma checks to deceive people? Don't want rules-lawyers trying to use it every time they stealth.

Ok.

4. Infernal Wrath should probably call for a saving throw (maybe Con with a static DC?). That much auto-damage is probably a bit overpowered.

It's not a lot of damage.  Maybe I'll drop the Charisma mod.

I disagree. +2 to AC is huge.  +20 to movement is too much.  Advantage on all Dex checks is outlandish.  I highly recommend not implementing such changes.

I'm just thinking that resisting all physical damage is pretty crazy too.

It's not a lot of damage.  Maybe I'll drop the Charisma mod.

The Cha mod is less of an issue than the scaling. Even if it's just 20 damage at level 20, that's about the same as a longsword fighter's average DPR. Hlaf your character level might work though.
I'm just thinking that resisting all physical damage is pretty crazy too.

That may be.  I'm open to suggestions.  But the answer to longtooths being overpowered should not be "Let's make razorclaws overpowered too!"

Hlaf your character level might work though.

Done!
What if razorclaws gave enemies disadvantage on opportunity attacks instead of getting a static ac bonus? That way they could use their extra movement to get out of trouble. (I actually think longtooth is fine as is, given the restrictions on it.)
What if razorclaws gave enemies disadvantage on opportunity attacks instead of getting a static ac bonus? That way they could use their extra movement to get out of trouble. (I actually think longtooth is fine as is, given the restrictions on it.)

Razorclaws aren't flee-ers.  They are dextrous predators.  I don't see making it easy for them to flee to be consistent with what the class is about.
Hate to nitpick.

But if the Tiefling's reaction for fire damage takes an action to recharge/use again, it should be as effective as a regular action.

Sinking reaction for single use per short rest is totally fine. Sinking reaction for use, then action & reaction for subsequent uses feels like a trap.
Hate to nitpick. But if the Tiefling's reaction for fire damage takes an action to recharge/use again, it should be as effective as a regular action. Sinking reaction for single use per short rest is totally fine. Sinking reaction for use, then action & reaction for subsequent uses feels like a trap.

I wouldn't say it's a trap; as you note, even using it once per encounter as a reaction is fairly powerful, and you have the option to spend an action to recharge it when you don't have any better actions to take. (Like a melee fighter out of range of your enemy, or a cleric who needs to heal but doesn't want to wade into combat.) There are also some weird cases where it might be a good use of your action, like if you're fighting something that resists your weapon type, but in general I think it's better that this power not serve as Porcupine Mode.
I do not think infernal wrath does so much damage that it makes sense to replenish it unless you have nothing better to do.
Thanks wrecan! I like your write-ups for these two races.

I think I'll make them availabel to my playtesters; I don't think that will lessen the impact of our playtest feedback, races haven't evolved much in the packets. I'll try to find this thread again, if there if any feedback for you from the players.

Razorclaws aren't flee-ers.  They are dextrous predators.  I don't see making it easy for them to flee to be consistent with what the class is about.

They are skirmishers however, and anything that lets them move around the battlefield (not just flee) without getting hurt is great for them! And have you ever seen a pack of wolves hunt? They duck, juke, and feint around their prey while it tires itself out swinging wildly at them. I think the suggestion fits pretty well.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Here's how I would convert the mechanics of the shifter over to playtest format

SHIFTER
Ability adjustment: Your starting Wisdom increases by 1.
Vision: Low-light. You can see in dim light as well as you do in bright light.
Claws: You have claws, which count as weapons in which you are naturally proficient.  They have the light and finesse properties and inflict 1d6 slashing damage.  They cannot be disarmed (unless your hands are amputated).  You can hold weapons, shields, or other items in your claws without penalty.
Naturally keen: You have advantage when making ability checks to cross or avoid hazardous terrain in a natural environment.
Subrace: Choose a subrace. Two subraces are described here: longtooth and razorclaw.

Longtooth Shifter
Ability adjustment: Your starting Strength increases by 1.
Longtooth Shifting: If you take damage that leaves you with less than half your maximum hit points, as a reaction, you can shift your form to become more bestial.  In this form, you gain a bonus to melee weapon damage equal to +2 and you gain resistance to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage.  This power ends after one minute or if you are healed to more than half your maximum hit points. This power can be invoked once a day.

Razorclaw Shifter
Razorclaw Shifting: If you take damage that leaves you with less than half your maximum hit points, as a reaction you can shift your form to become more bestial.  In this form, your speed increases by 10 feet, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and advantage on Dexterity saves.  This power ends after one minute or if you are healed to more than half your maximum hit points. This power can be invoked once a day.

Very nice, Wrecan! I hope the eventual Next writeup on Shifters is something similar, and appears sooner rather than later.

I am kind of bummed that the primary defensive abilities of Barbarians and Longtooth Shifters (Resistance) would be redundant/not stack...

Out of curiosity, have you statted out Warforged/golems/living constructs yet?

They are skirmishers however, and anything that lets them move around the battlefield (not just flee) without getting hurt is great for them! And have you ever seen a pack of wolves hunt? They duck, juke, and feint around their prey while it tires itself out swinging wildly at them. I think the suggestion fits pretty well.

Okay.  That convinces me.
 have you statted out Warforged/golems/living constructs yet?

I have to admit I'm not well-versed enough in Eberron and warforged to be able to design a warforged race.  While I like Eberron and DM'ed a one-shot adventure last Christmas, I really don't have much experience with them.  Sorry.
Sign In to post comments