Legendary

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you play niv-mizzet, the firemind. And niv-mizzet, dracogenius at the same time?  Thank you.
Can you play niv-mizzet, the firemind. And niv-mizzet, dracogenius at the same time?  Thank you.

Yes.  The "legend rule" only applies to two legendary permanents with the exact same name.

What about plains walkers.

The planeswalker rules applies to the planeswalker type.  So if you have two planeswalkers and they both have the Jace type, they will both go to the graveyard.  Name doesn't matter.

For planeswalkers, the subtype matters. If Jace Beleren and Jace, Architect of Thought are both on the battlefield, they'll both be put into their owners' graveyards.
Rules Advisor
Only one copy of any individual Planeswalker may be on the battlefield at any time. While the legend rule isn't as obvious, as PW's doen't have the "legendary" supertype, it does implicitely apply.

Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.

Plainswalkers are normally creatures and have nothing to do with legendary permanents or plaNESwalkers. For planeswalkers, others should have answered. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Only one copy of any individual Planeswalker may be on the battlefield at any time. While the legend rule isn't as obvious, as PW's doen't have the "legendary" supertype, it does implicitely apply.

I'm not sure I get your point. Care to elaborate?

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

There is no "implicit" rule involved, there is a quite explicit rule called the Planeswalker Uniqueness Rules that, while similar, is not the same as the Legend rule. As others have mentioned above, Planeswalkers care about duplicate subtypes (e.g. "Jace" or "Chandra"), not about duplicate names. If Jace, Architect of Thought and Jace, the Mind Sculptor are both on the battlefield at once, they both go to the graveyard - unlike the analagous case with the two Niv-Mizzets.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
And because someone is surely thinking of asking it, I will answer the as-yet-unasked question:

Nicol Bolas and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker can peacefully coexist on the battlefield.  Heck, the creature can even attack the planeswalker (not-so-peaceful coexistence, I guess), and the planeswalker's -2 loyalty ability can allow its controller take control of the creature (which I guess then becomes a form of peaceful coexistence)
finally Mirror Gallery does not apply to the Planeswalkers Uniqueness Rule
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments