Poisoned Shadows - Wizard and Cleric's point of view

I was able to recently take part in jonathan_sicari's level 4 delve Poisened Shadows using Playtest Packet 032013.  While I had rolled a wizard, due to connectivity and display issues, I also doubled as the group's cleric (a role with which I'm more familiar) when the group's cleric 's player needed to quit.

At the time of this writing, I have only been able to play one of three encounters within the delve as a result of time issues.  While I'll give a breakdown of character analysis for each of the classes played, I did want to comment on the encounter experience.

The encounter was reported as being of average difficulty.  However, I found the sheer number of mobs and the tactics used to be sufficient enough to challenge the group (no deaths, one unconscious).  Some mobs were out of reach (rooftop) while others were clever enough to stay at range.  Also of note was the confinement of the fighting space which allowed for opportunity attacks as well.

Props should be noted to jonathan_sicari as DM.  When faced with our groups unorthodox ideas, at one point he was noted to comment "Nah, that'd be boring..." meaning that while what we proposed may not have been technically allowed, he nevertheless let it happen for the sake of roleplay and fun.

Wizard:  The prepared spells left the wizard a little wanting during combat.  Mage armor hadn't been taken, which was found to be detrimental in a closed area of fighting where a few hits had him making death saving throws before the end of combat.  Still, spells such as sleep and thunderwave did manage to make an appearance before the wizard dropped for a portion of the combat.  I appreciate how the current Next package has spells that seem to autohit and require a saving throw to avoid full effects.  The necessity of having to think ahead for a finite number of non-cantrip spells is difficult enough, let alone the risk of choosing a combat spell missing should the standard combat roll miss.  A fighter class can carry a sword, a hammer, and a spear and have all the potential damages covered (slash, bludgeon, pierce).  They can use those weapons as often as they like throughout the day.  However, a spellcaster must be vigilant in their spell choice because their typical first choice is not to wade into melee.

By the end of combat, most spells had been used and a long rest would have been appreciated.

Cleric:  I was at a disadvantage in playing this character as the prepared spells and character notes were not fully listed.  Nevertheless, I was able to persevere between my "typical" clerics and the information that had been provided by the original player.  While the cleric was able to do a bit of fighting, it was usually being done after swift casting some form of a cure spell on the party.  By the end of the fight, Divinity had been channelled and most spell slots had been used (for healing).  Swift casting Cure Minor Wounds ensured that no one in the party died while the group messily managed the mobs.

I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the delve in order to see how future encounters fare.

Thanks Cart.
/Nod
Sign In to post comments