death touch versus indestructible creature with counters

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am an attacked by a Predator Ooze with any number of counters already on it and I block with a Deadly Recluse would that not only kill my deadly recluse but also remove any total of counters from the ooze and return the ooze to the battlefield at its original form or does the ooze simply return with with all counters intact?
I am an attacked by a Predator Ooze with any number of counters already on it and I block with a Deadly Recluse would that not only kill my deadly recluse but also remove any total of counters from the ooze and return the ooze to the battlefield at its original form or does the ooze simply return with with all counters intact?

The Ooze is not destroyed, it does not go to the graveyard, it does not return from the graveyard and it does not lose any counters.

The Ooze will gain a counter when the Recluse dies.

I thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming my horror.  So the only way to get rid of it completely is exile or sacrafise, and the only way for the Predator Ooze to have it's counters removed is exile by a card similar to Oblivion Ring and if it returns to the battlefield it would have lost any existing counters it previously had on it.  Personally an indestructible creature that escalates quickly with +1 counters with an intial cost of 3green is well undercosted in my opinion.
When a permanent is indestructible, it ignores anything that would specifically destroy it.  This is outlined in the Comprehensive Rules:

700.4. If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can’t destroy it. (See rule 701.6, "Destroy.")
Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based
action (see rule 704.5g). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put
into a graveyard, or exiled.

Deathtouch merely makes any nonzero amount of damage enough to destroy a creature.  However, since an indestructible creature cannot be destroyed, deathtouch doesn't affect Predator Ooze in any way. 

While a card's playabiity isn't something that the Rules Q&A section really deals with, I will say this: Predator Ooze starts as a 1/1, doesn't have haste, and has to actually deal damage to a creature (and have that same creature die during the same turn) for its second ability to give it +1/+1 counters.  Basically, assuming your opponent is competent, this means you'll have a 2/2 creature attacking on turn 4, a 3/3 on turn 5, a 4/4 on turn 6, and so on.  While that's not terrible, it's also not at all broken.  Besides exile and sacrifice, you can also get its toughness to 0 using something like Tragic Slip or Dismember as well -- a creature is merely put into the graveyard (not destroyed) when its toughness becomes 0.
I thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming my horror.  So the only way to get rid of it completely is exile or sacrafise, and the only way for the Predator Ooze to have it's counters removed is exile by a card similar to Oblivion Ring and if it returns to the battlefield it would have lost any existing counters it previously had on it.  Personally an indestructible creature that escalates quickly with +1 counters with an intial cost of 3green is well undercosted in my opinion.

You can also get rid of it by lowering its toughness to 0, such as with Sudden Death.