Spirit Companion, Totemic Weapons and Targets

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyonoe

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, but I have not been able to find ruling about this. Here are the cases:

1: Power: Spirit Shield (PH2)
This power says: Range: Melee spirit 1 and Trigger: An enemy leaves a square adjacent to your spirit companion without shifting

The first question: What about forced movement? Does forced movement count as a trigger towards this? (Our DM does not agree, he says it's just bad wording)

2: Second case: This power combined with a Totemic Weapon that says: When you use this weapon as an implement for a power that has a range of "Melee spirit," you can choose to use your square as the origin square of the power.

Does this property change the trigger of the Spirit Shield power? Or does the trigger remain the same?

3: You have the power: Sharing the kill (PP) Which has the primal and healing keyword, and says: Target: One creature, Attack: Wisdom vs Reflex, Hit: 3d8 + Wisdom modifier damage. Each ally adjacent to your spirit companion regains 1d6 + your Wisdom modifier hit points.

And the paragon path feature: Scar's Gift (PP). When you use a primal healing power on a target adjacent to your spirit companion, the target regains additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. (Please note that these are a power and a feature of the same paragon path).

Our DM says that RAW the feature does not apply on the power, since the target of your power is the enemy, not the allies. How are the exact rules on targeting a creature? Or: When is a creature targeted?

(I'm not sure if it's allowed to post more then 1 question in a thread. If it's not allowed, my deepest apologies for this)

Thank you in advance
1. Yes, forced movement count as moving and it doesn't need to be done willingly.

2. No the Trigger remains the same.

3. Your DM is correct. The allies healed by Sharing the kill aren't the targets of the power, so they can't benefit from Scar's Gift's feature.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

1.  Your DM is right in that it is bad wording, they mean this to be like an Opportunity Attack, but as written it does work on forced movement.  It probably shouldn't, and I can't fault your DM for houseruling it.  I probably would, in my games.

2.  No.  This power is functionally unaffected by this feat.  Well, I guess you might be able to get around cover/concealment with it.

3.  DM is correct, because you did not target your ally, so "the target" cannot regain additional hitpoints.  Stupid?  Maybe.  But the rules are clear.

It's worth emphasizing that the spirit companion rules are an awkward rules construct that had to twist in a lot of different directions to work at all.  It's not surprising that RAI didn't get translated very well to RAW.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition