Reactionary Episode III: Rewards of Ravnica

521 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to Reactionary!
Home of the interplanar struggle over the multiverse!

Rules:

Character Creation:

For this adventure, you're character MUST be humanoid, and should be able to exist in typical conditions without much of a struggle. Your character will determine the colors of spells you will be able to cast so think carefully when you create your character. Your character CANNOT have more than 3 colors. Your character CANNOT be legendary.
You may choose to have a class. IF you do, it must be in the typeline of your submission.
These stipulations will not always be the same, and just apply for this adventure.

THERE ARE NO SPECIAL CLASSES THIS ROUND
Instead, you have guild affiliations that become important at different parts of the game.
Choose a guild

My Role:

In this adventure I will be the guide, a guard-like position involved with the story. I can be interacted with, just like the last time. I will not LIE to you, but I won't necessarily give you all the information either (I will tell you if I can't tell you something). You'll have to work to get every ounce of information out of me, and even then where's the fun if I tell you everything.

NOTE: Please don't quote me on any hidden information I give you. Paraphrase and/or reword things. Mostly I mean don't be, "altimis said that the second passage is the one to choose..." be creative about it. Stay in character and sway people. Feel free to quote descriptions or not, just don't be like "altimis said..." that's all.

Your Role:

You respond to the situation at hand. It's pretty simple. You can also choose to respond by not responding (if you want). The only rule of thumb to follow, is you have to stay in character. So if you're a goat, and some person starts handing out free ale, you're probably not going to respond, however the town drunk would probably steal it etc...

Now, the tricky part... you are all in this together. Your actions can, and probably will, affect others around you. So you should think carefully before you act. Also, I want to see how this works as a first come first serve basis. For example: I post a situation where a robber comes in and starts stealing from a store (with you guys being shoppers). The first person reacts and other people can react to how that person reacts (or do something completely different). So, in short, pay attention to what other people are doing as you post your responses (or lack thereof).

Also, feel free to copy and/or support other people. Like if someone is doing something that you feel is good, do something similar (in character) or even say, "copy" that spell (with a version of reverberate or something). Again, this is not only about designs, but about interaction. Feel free to make enemies and allies and such. However, try to keep actions "legal". If you kill someone, other people will take you out (obviously) so it will usually ruin the game for both of those people. Just be considerate and understand this: People should be in character at all times. These characters should have goals, preferences and everything. For example if there's a zombie sitting next to a human... well it probably won't end well (depending). For right now, I'm going to leave the rules lax and then tighten them as need be, but just be considerate to others' fun-levels.

Finally, your main goal is to survive. There will be deaths (I'm afraid), depending on your actions, or the storyline. Whichever, it is inevitable.

I am planning on this being a deadly adventure. This will be action-packed, but bad things will happen. When it does, I want you to know that I'm not singling anybody out. Certain things will happen to people depending on who is first to react, who is last to react, who does a certain action etc, it could be anything. If you die, you can still choose to participate via PM or through NPC's. Depending on the need for the adventure.

Miscellaneous Rules:

For mana here's how it will work.
1) I post a situation for which you need to respond.
2) I post an amount of mana you have total.
3) I let you know how much COLORED mana is included in that total.
4) You CANNOT use more than that amount of mana unless something states otherwise.
5) Depending on situations, some characters could get more mana than others, some less. Example: If there is a volcano erupting, I might give extra red mana out, and less blue. Or something along those lines.

**NOTE** I am not planning on having mana carry over from round to round. That did cause issues last time, clerical errors on my part mostly.

Example:
There is a robber. He is robbing you. Do you defend yourself? Do you become the aggressor? Do you run away... What do you do?
Mana available: 3 C C C (3 is colorless, C is any amount in your color(s).)

In short: Create nonbroken cards please. I will be lenient, given the nature of this "contest". But balance should always be in mind.

No killing, preferably: This is a preference, but it can ruin the game for other people. I am keeping it an option for now, but if it becomes a problem I'll probably banish killing altogether. Some situations might arise where you need to kill someone (VERY RARELY, but it might be interesting), though there COULD be other ways around that too...

Improvise: Feel free to build off each other. Respond to each other. For example if someone does something irrationally, let other people talk to them, and see if they can work it out. If that person still wants to do something irrational (make a counterspell). Again, this game really works best if you interact with each other. Also, some rounds will be solely for interaction. I don't know if this will work or not, but in this scenario there will be one such round to see how it goes. If these are a flop I will remove them.

Do not edit posts! This will allow everyone to see what is going on. If you do something, and make an error, post again with correct information. You can even strikeout your last post, but only that so at least it's readable, but everyone still knows it's NOT happening.

Publicity: Try to keep questions public. If you have a question about a scheme or something PM me... I'm the guide. I make the rules around here. If there is something that you wish to be kept private then PM me. I'll make note of it and or respond. Keep in mind... there might be hidden information that I won't outright tell you, and you'll have to do some detective work to get it out. I'll have some of this in this test to see how that works out in the game. I'm trying to think about a good scenario, but I can't right now without spoiling my idea for it in this situation. We'll play it by ear. But some examples would be the way people are positioned, the "abilities" of your race or stuff like that. Also, if you want to get more information, post a message here about your specific question. I'll PM you the result of your inquiry (it is YOUR inquiry after all), what you do with that information is completely up to you.

NOTE: If you are unsure as to whether the question should be public or hidden, just PM me and if it should be public (rules based) I'll post it as an anonymous question answered here. If it should remain hidden (planning something secret) I'll keep it private.

HERE WE GO! An example:

I say, you are walking along the road, and you come across a body... what do you do?

PERSON 1: Is it alive or dead?
ME: (publicly) You can't tell, but it's not moving.
PERSON 1: Is there sign of a struggle?
ME: (privately) You look around and find a dozen or so footprints leading away from the trail. You see no blood.
etc...

Looking back on this it might become to RPG-ey and less designing,  but I'm willing to give it a shot. If it tends to be more roleplaying, I will probably tone it down to more card making. However, my key point throughout this game is interaction.

Enemy Spellcasting: Enemies (and NPC's) can cast spells and/or have effects too. I won't outright say what the spell does, but I will describe it and it's current effects as you all (and you the victim, privately) would experience them. For example:
A shaman stops you and asks you questions. You answer one incorrectly and he points his finger at you.
Lightning erupts from his fingertips, and pierces your heart. The smell of burning hair is rather maddening.
This could be Lightning Bolt, Shock, Lightning Helix, Blightning etc... you won't specifically know. But you will (almost) always know the difference between good and bad spells.
That players' private PM could be, You feel intense pain as the electricity surges through your heart. Your brain begins to rattle and you slowly fall unconscious (that is presuming this character survives). This begins to have more of a Blightning feel, but again, it might be, it might not be...

Ending: The game ends when the storyline is finished, all of the contestants die, or the crisis is somehow averted prematurely.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Seeing as this technically isn't a contest... I won'd post any grades! I will post comments... however I'll do that at the end of the adventure. I want to keep the continuity up above all, and if this doesn't work out then I will change it to a round by round judging, but again this is just a test. My driving factor is the story. Afterwards, I can comment and graded and critique, but I want to make sure the story continues on.
OTHER NOTE: Keep in mind that this means I'll be SWAMPED after the adventure closes. I'll try to keep udpates as often as possible, so please be considerate of that too.

Latecomers:

Fear not! If you miss the opening round of this story, you can still participate, but you'll only be accepted into the story from that point on. You don't have to design cards from previous rounds... you weren't there... it makes flavorful sense. But I mean, if round two ends with a building blowing up, it makes sense for some people to go and investigate... so join at anytime! For those who die... feel free to rejoin as something else. In the next round.

NOTE: If you wish to join late, PM me instead of posting on the thread.

Backstory:

For an_endless_epidemic, Dr_Demento, Georgew, and theatog (if you want to play your old characters):

You woke to the sharp chirping of birds and a dull pain resonating within your chest. You crawled to your feet, rubbing your chest subconciously as you did. Your body was in a world of hurt but it was a good thing. After all, it means you were still alive.

Your eyes blinked and looked up.

Your last memory was of a caving temple but at this moment, the vast expense of a blue sky filled your vision. A hint of a smile touched your lips. You had been through much, puzzle rooms, oozes, some dragon, a betrayal, the threat of a corrupting black oil, a caving temple and most importantly, you had survived them all.

That was what Zendikar was about - survival.

Although you had no recollection how you survived the caving temple.

But details, why care?

You looked towards the horizon, expecting to see the lush forest and steep mountains of Zendikar.

Buildings, structures, rows and rows of them, sinking into the horizon, as far as the naked eye could see.

Something you would never see in Zendikar.

It took you a couple more seconds to realize you were standing on a rooftop.

You hurried to an edge and looked over.

People pushed their way through the congested streets while beasts of labor trotted along. Rows of shops sat at both sides of the street while merchants promoted their wares fervently. As soldiers dressed in blue and silver patrolled down the streets, citizens hurried to give way. Up above, birds, griffins and strange creatures flew. When a griffin flew by, you caught glimpse of an unseen before sigil upon its adornment.

Your other companions begun to stirred, each as bewildered as you were. 

"Awake?"

A man, a companion from the previous adventure whom you came to know as Jariis, asked from the opposite ledge of the roof from where he sat.

"Where are we?"

Your heart raced. You already knew this can't be anywhere on Zendikar.

Jariis paused for a second before he answered,

"Welcome, to Ravnica."

For everybody, including returning characters:

You are all walking down the street following a large crowd. Slowly noise overwhelms your mind as you merge into a large festival that is apparently known as the Tin Street Market.

Many, many other people are here in the market and you quickly get discombobulated. You look around for any vestige of solace, but see a mysterious sight instead.

You see a large man through the crowd (Jariis, if you know him). Suddenly, you see a flash and another man is with him, a hooded man. Again, you see another flash and then they are gone. As fast as he had appeared, both men had disappeared. Curious, you head towards that mysterious occurance. Along the way you are bombarded with merchants and fanatics recruiting for their guilds.

Azorius: If you need a world of order, and quiet, join the Azorius. We foster laws to inspire goodwill and cooperation throughout Ravnica. Rebels and dissenters have no place!
Orzhov: The world as you know it is only the beginning. There is an eternity to live, and an eternity to furnish your being. People of Orzhov find themselves in exquistite company, and prolonged service to the guild!
Dimir: We all know the Dimir have already solved the maze, they have probably destroyed all the other champions as well. Well, they would have if they wanted to win this maze. Winning means publicity, something we don't need. We'll find you if you wish to join...
Izzet: If you like making things explode, you  belong to Gruul. If you like finding out *NEW* ways of making things explode, Izzet is your guild! We do strenuous research on power and all forms a magical enhancements!
Rakdos: Death, doom and destruction! Rakdos is all about living the way you want, when you want. We follow our hearts, and our impulses! If you wish to find true freedom, join the Rakdos!
Golgari: Our life is not ours, our death isn't either. We serve a purpose, an eternal purpose. When you live, you leave a mark, when you die, you leave a mark. Life is a cycle that goes on forever. The Golgari acknowledge this cycle and find ways to manipulate it!
Gruul: The Gruul are the most powerful guild, but we are also the most ostracized. We have sheer power, the numbers would certainly help our cause. We don't need civilization, that makes us weak. We learn to fend for ourselves, and to live off of, and embrace nature. we are the Gruul!
Boros: Order. Join the Boros and find yourself among friends in war. Ravnica is in constant disarray, we need loyal soldiers to keep it steady. Join the Boros and help keep order on Ravnica. You will learn the fiercest techniques to survive any kind of combat, and you will learn to stay close to your fellow guild members to draw from the power of loyalty!
Selesnya: The guild with the most peace is obviously Selesnya. We merge ourselves with nature to find growth, within ourselves and without. We might appear meek and humble, because we are. But that doesn't mean that we can't become fierce and destructive at a moment's notice. Find the power of Selesnya and find the power of inner peace, and the strength to defend it.
Simic: We are most important guild in Ravnica. Without the Simic guild, growth on Ravnica would be dead (with the exception of Izzet). While Izzet focus their attention to the energies, we focus our attention on the the physicalities. We evolve and adapt to the world around us, and help others find the power to evolve as well. If you enjoy a steady, calculated growth, join the Simic!

*You can also choose to remain guildless*
*Note: You can only support a guild if your character card contains at least ONE of their colors*

The dragon's maze? Guilds? What is all of this madness about on Ravnica?

For returning characters:

*GEORGEW*
Karpos, the Drunkard -- :RM::WM::UM:
Creature - Human Wizard (X)

Level Up :RM::WM::UM: [1/2]
[1-2] :T:: Reveal a sorcery card in your hand, you may cast that spell for less. [2/3]
[3+] :T:: Reveal your hand, you deal damage to target creature or player for each sorcery revealed this way. You gain that much life. [3/4]

"Eldrazi, wonderful beaches, harsh jungles? This world is filled with amazing sights to see..."

==xx==

AN_ENDLESS_EPIDEMIC
Kor Healer -- :WM::WM:
Creature - Kor Druid (X)

Lifelink
Whenever you tap a plains for mana, gain 1 life.

1 / 4

==xx==

DR_DEMENTO
Relic Collector -- :WUM::WUM:
Creature - Vedalken Spellshaper (X)

:WUM::WUM:, :T:, Discard a Card: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

"Why make my own legacy when I can collect a thousand more?"
2 / 4

==xx==

THEATOG
Con Artist -- :gum::gum:
Creature - Human Rogue (X)

Whenever Con Artist blocks, you may reveal a creature card from your hand. If you do, you may have Con Artist become a copy of that card or another target creature until the end of combat.

2 / 3

First Round

You near the spot where you saw the man vanish, but as you already guessed, he was really gone. You look around, bewildered at what you just saw, but you don't have time to concentrate and think. A loud horn blast is heard and the crowd goes silent. You turn to face the sound of the horn, and you see a large, decorated man standing on a platform. He waves his squire away before clapping his hands firmly.

"Citizens! Welcome here this fine day! I shall skip directly to the point. There have been rumors of trouble in the dragon's maze. We are indeed worried for out respective champions and have determined to send in groups of able-bodied warriors to help determine if these rumors are true or not."
Everything is silent, a very rare phenomenon on Ravnica.
"We have been watching this crowd for some time and have hand-picked a select few of you to be the first to go through the maze after the champions."

He looks at an angel flying above head, and he nods. The angel holds up a spear to the sun. The light reflects off a gem on the end and sends rays of light throughout the crowd. One of these rays, finds itself blinding you. You look around, move side to side, duck, but the light follows you no matter what you do. You have been chosen to go through a maze? A dragon's maze? It sounds dangerous.

"The maze is dangerous, as you all know. But deadly is something that it shouldn't be. We need you select few to traverse this maze. Face the same challenges the champions faced, and report back as to which have been sabotaged and could have triggered these rumors. This guard will follow you and assist in any way he can, but only supervise to see which challenge has been sabotaged."

The light above your head grows brighter, and suddenly you are blinded, but you know you are in a different area. You have space to move around without hitting anyone. You are still blinded, slowly getting your vision back you hear this: "I don't know what to expect for you lot, if our champions are in danger. Good luck!"

Your vision hasn't quite cleared up yet, but you can see several figures forming their way into your retinas. You see a large fortress-like wall infront of you, that's for sure. You hear a voice from above you now, "My name is Altimis. I'm only here to make sure you do your job. I sense one bit of trouble, I'm off to warn my leaders. That means leaving you alone. You want me to stick around, you better make it look easy. Whenever you are all ready, get inside and start winning this maze."

Enjoy! Good luck!
Welcome to Ravnica!
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
STORY POST:

Pre Game Story:

For Returning Characters -

You woke to the sharp chirping of birds and a dull pain resonating within your chest. You crawled to your feet, rubbing your chest subconciously as you did. Your body was in a world of hurt but it was a good thing. After all, it means you were still alive.

Your eyes blinked and looked up.

Your last memory was of a caving temple but at this moment, the vast expense of a blue sky filled your vision. A hint of a smile touched your lips. You had been through much, puzzle rooms, oozes, some dragon, a betrayal, the threat of a corrupting black oil, a caving temple and most importantly, you had survived them all.

That was what Zendikar was about - survival.

Although you had no recollection how you survived the caving temple.

But details, why care?

You looked towards the horizon, expecting to see the lush forest and steep mountains of Zendikar.

Buildings, structures, rows and rows of them, sinking into the horizon, as far as the naked eye could see.

Something you would never see in Zendikar.

It took you a couple more seconds to realize you were standing on a rooftop.

You hurried to an edge and looked over.

People pushed their way through the congested streets while beasts of labor trotted along. Rows of shops sat at both sides of the street while merchants promoted their wares fervently. As soldiers dressed in blue and silver patrolled down the streets, citizens hurried to give way. Up above, birds, griffins and strange creatures flew. When a griffin flew by, you caught glimpse of an unseen before sigil upon its adornment.

Your other companions begun to stirred, each as bewildered as you were. 

"Awake?"

A man, a companion from the previous adventure whom you came to know as Jariis, asked from the opposite ledge of the roof from where he sat.

"Where are we?"

Your heart raced. You already knew this can't be anywhere on Zendikar.

Jariis paused for a second before he answered,

"Welcome, to Ravnica."

You are all walking down the street following a large crowd. Slowly noise overwhelms your mind as you merge into a large festival that is apparently known as the Tin Street Market.

Many, many other people are here in the market and you quickly get discombobulated. You look around for any vestige of solace, but see a mysterious sight instead.

You see a large man through the crowd (Jariis, if you know him). Suddenly, you see a flash and another man is with him, a hooded man. Again, you see another flash and then they are gone. As fast as he had appeared, both men had disappeared. Curious, you head towards that mysterious occurance. Along the way you are bombarded with merchants and fanatics recruiting for their guilds.

Azorius: If you need a world of order, and quiet, join the Azorius. We foster laws to inspire goodwill and cooperation throughout Ravnica. Rebels and dissenters have no place!
Orzhov: The world as you know it is only the beginning. There is an eternity to live, and an eternity to furnish your being. People of Orzhov find themselves in exquistite company, and prolonged service to the guild!
Dimir: We all know the Dimir have already solved the maze, they have probably destroyed all the other champions as well. Well, they would have if they wanted to win this maze. Winning means publicity, something we don't need. We'll find you if you wish to join...
Izzet: If you like making things explode, you  belong to Gruul. If you like finding out *NEW* ways of making things explode, Izzet is your guild! We do strenuous research on power and all forms a magical enhancements!
Rakdos: Death, doom and destruction! Rakdos is all about living the way you want, when you want. We follow our hearts, and our impulses! If you wish to find true freedom, join the Rakdos!
Golgari: Our life is not ours, our death isn't either. We serve a purpose, an eternal purpose. When you live, you leave a mark, when you die, you leave a mark. Life is a cycle that goes on forever. The Golgari acknowledge this cycle and find ways to manipulate it!
Gruul: The Gruul are the most powerful guild, but we are also the most ostracized. We have sheer power, the numbers would certainly help our cause. We don't need civilization, that makes us weak. We learn to fend for ourselves, and to live off of, and embrace nature. we are the Gruul!
Boros: Order. Join the Boros and find yourself among friends in war. Ravnica is in constant disarray, we need loyal soldiers to keep it steady. Join the Boros and help keep order on Ravnica. You will learn the fiercest techniques to survive any kind of combat, and you will learn to stay close to your fellow guild members to draw from the power of loyalty!
Selesnya: The guild with the most peace is obviously Selesnya. We merge ourselves with nature to find growth, within ourselves and without. We might appear meek and humble, because we are. But that doesn't mean that we can't become fierce and destructive at a moment's notice. Find the power of Selesnya and find the power of inner peace, and the strength to defend it.
Simic: We are most important guild in Ravnica. Without the Simic guild, growth on Ravnica would be dead (with the exception of Izzet). While Izzet focus their attention to the energies, we focus our attention on the the physicalities. We evolve and adapt to the world around us, and help others find the power to evolve as well. If you enjoy a steady, calculated growth, join the Simic!

*You can also choose to remain guildless*
*Note: You can only support a guild if your character card contains at least ONE of their colors*

The dragon's maze? Guilds? What is all of this madness about on Ravnica?

===xxx===

You near the spot where you saw the man vanish, but as you already guessed, he was really gone. You look around, bewildered at what you just saw, but you don't have time to concentrate and think. A loud horn blast is heard and the crowd goes silent. You turn to face the sound of the horn, and you see a large, decorated man standing on a platform. He waves his squire away before clapping his hands firmly.

"Citizens! Welcome here this fine day! I shall skip directly to the point. There have been rumors of trouble in the dragon's maze. We are indeed worried for out respective champions and have determined to send in groups of able-bodied warriors to help determine if these rumors are true or not."
"We have been watching this crowd for some time and have hand-picked a select few of you to be the first to go through the maze after the champions."

He looks at an angel flying above head, and he nods. The angel holds up a spear to the sun. The light reflects off a gem on the end and sends rays of light throughout the crowd. One of these rays, finds itself blinding you. You look around, move side to side, duck, but the light follows you no matter what you do. You have been chosen to go through a maze? A dragon's maze? It sounds dangerous.

"The maze is dangerous, as you all know. But deadly is something that it shouldn't be. We need you select few to traverse this maze. Face the same challenges the champions faced, and report back as to which have been sabotaged and could have triggered these rumors. This guard will follow you and assist in any way he can, but only supervise to see which challenge has been sabotaged."

The light above your head grows brighter, and suddenly you are blinded, but you know you are in a different area. You have space to move around without hitting anyone. You are still blinded, slowly getting your vision back you hear this: "I don't know what to expect for you lot, if our champions are in danger. Good luck!"

Your vision hasn't quite cleared up yet, but you can see several figures forming their way into your retinas. You see a large fortress-like wall infront of you, that's for sure. You hear a voice from above you now, "My name is Altimis. I'm only here to make sure you do your job. I sense one bit of trouble, I'm off to warn my leaders. That means leaving you alone. You want me to stick around, you better make it look easy. Whenever you are all ready, get inside and start winning this maze."

Boros Guildgate:

==GUILDGATE ONE: BOROS==

Story:

"You'd best get started. The faster we find the problem, the faster I can leave. I have more important tasks to be doing for the Boros than investigating with some untailored folks like yourselves."

"Untailored?" someone asks, all you know is it wasn't you.

"No offense of course. But the best of you lot is the two azorius blokes looking for legal papers for this exhibition. Oi! This isn't an exhibition, so cut your losses and save your intelligence."

"You're a bit bossy for an angel."

"We've got a job to do, and none of you look at all set for what's ahead. You've all been selected because a thorough analysis proved you all to be the most capable of the crowd. It's an honor, but barely. Prove yourselves, and we'll get along. Start trouble, and we won't. Now, are you all ready to start this maze?"

You hadn't realized it, but you sight was fully restored by now. Altimis the angelguard was flying overhead, holding his staff.

"Now, I can't give you specifics of what is beyond this gate, but I certainly know the boros. You'll be in for a battle, and a difficult one at that. I hope you brought your wits. There will be a well-planned battle ahead of you, maybe three or four waves. Keep yourselves alive and we'll see where that gets us next. I'll be supervising more than battling here, guild relations and all. Good luck."

Undaunted, you look around at your companions, a ragged group twelve in all. Altimis, pulls open the gates and you carefully walk through. You were told there was going to be a battle, but you were unaware as to the size of the battle. Before you can react several arrows fly towards you. Altimis deflects them quickly with some magic, they fly back at their owners.

"You'd best get started if you want to survive!"

==xx==

You find a field filled with able-bodied boros legionnaires. There's too many to count, but you know there's more than twenty by a decent margin. There are a small number of archers mounted in two towers later in the field.
Beyond the field lies another gate. Beyond the gate is a well-paved and decorated road, unmistakably Orzhov by origin.

The soldiers rush at you, weapons readied.
The archers begin to draw their bows again.

It is time for war.

==xx==

The boros legion is set upon you, and the first blows are ones of legal binding. [FrankyFourFingers] begins to spout out legal truths interweaving them with mana until a powerful protective aura engulfs the area. The full effect of this aura is not yet known to everyone.
A creative izzet man [Shockwave07] combines mana with whatever materials he has access to and forms them together into a weird creature. Finishing his creation, he stomps on the ground and jettisons his weird into the air as well as a nearby Boros Legionnaire. Unfortunately, for the legionnaire, he can't fly.
The weird hovers infront of the towers distracting the archers.
[eddned] calmly breathes in the fresh air. It has been several years since he has spent time outdoors, figures he would get nominated to do some dirty work too. He quickly gives himself a bit of protection, at the expense of a soldier about to attack him. Such is the way of life.
A quiet and quick man [Ulcaster] runs behind the azorius defender, and gathers his wits. He examines the surrounding area, and extends his arm towards one of the towers. Out flies two birds hassling that tower along with the weird hassling the other tower.
[ConfusedAsUsual] scoffs at the boros' redundancy. He quickly draws his blade and digs it deeply into a nearby legionnaire. That is, after activating a minor charm that enhances his abilities.
[an_endless_epidemic] responds by enforcing a calming presence on the battlefield, for the legionnaires. They stop in their tracks and begin to admire the wonder of nature.
A minature rakdos goblin rants about being left out of the protective spell. He feels segregated against, but decides to help the group anyways for fear of dying. He casts and enchantment of his own buffing his fellow peers, but doesn't stop at simply that. He drops a beat of summoning and creates a whopping three goblins. They all look at each other, chuckle maniacally, and rush off after the no longer aggressive legionnaires.
Noticing their newfound strength, and the lack of aggression, the three flying creations take care of half the archers in the towers.
Another azorius knight [Kuro_Ageha], recognizing these protective wards charges into battle trampling down one of the guards.
A sneaky dimir mage [Dudibus] quickly summons a trio of frightening arachnids. They quickly scamper off towards some of the guardsman and are welcomed with open arms, soon followed by screams of agony.
Noticing all of the death surrounding him, [ConfusedAsUsual] adds his fair share by summoning a spirit and launching it at a Legionnaire. Death is imminent.
Another orzhov crafter summons a large beastly golem by draining almost everyone of their energy. Many people fall to their knees to sustain this creation. [Kuro_Ageha] is greatly angered by this, as helpful as it may be and gives [SimonGlume] the option of etherealism or dismantling his golem. He quickly sends his golem into oblivion but not after it topples over on the last boros guardsman.
[FrankyFourFingers] quickly realizes that simply protecting the group doesn't necessarily advance them towards their goal (but it certainly does keep them alive). He summons his own trusty minion that allows him to weave inbetween the Legionnaires with ease. He rests at the edge of the field hidden from the view of the boros legion, just before the guildgate exit.
The only simic man among the group [theatog] flashes in a sickly beast. It reeks of science and mold, but it's job is clear. [theatog] gleefully sets it out in the battlefield awaiting the results.
[an_endless_epidemic] doesn't understand why nobody understands what he is.
The final man of orzhov descent [Dr_Demento] decides to avoid combat and shenanigans altogether. He vanishes into thin air and walks ethereally (unbeknownst to the others) to the opposite end of the field where [FrankyFourFingers] resides.

==xx==

The scene quickly became a bloody battle, in your favor. Thanks to [an_endless_epidemic]'s quick thinking, the boros legion were held in some mental stupor for that round allowing many of their number to be slain. Plus, being protected from all of them helped as well.
As [altimis] had predicted another smaller wave of boros soldiers quickly ran into the fray. They surveyed the scene and saw many of their brothers fallen, and in rage called the remainder of their number to battle.
The second wave has just over a dozen soldiers of two types: Phoenix Soldiers, and Knight Riders. There are only 4 Phoenix soldiers, but the Knight Riders are moving to fast to count accurately. Everyone knows that the Phoenix soldiers have a power that triggers on their death, though it's not know exactly what.
But to everyone's astonishment, the Knight Riders' horses all halt a distance away from the battlefield, while the Phoenix Soldiers carry on. The Knight Riders patrol the perimeter unable to enter the fray. (They technically aren't there, any spells that affect ALL creatures won't affect them etc.) At least, now that they aren't charging anymore, you can count them. There are 12 of them.
The first wave survivors have just over a dozen soldiers as well. Including 3 archers and exactly 12 legionnaires (a more countable number). All of the guardsman have been killed.
This army begins to attack your group again, the archers are distracted by the aerial of your group, but for how long?
It appears, however, that this entire group doesn't notice two of your members [Dr_Demento] and [FrankyFourFingers]. The army is only attacking the majority of the group.

==xx==

Nothing needs to be said about the remainder of the battle. A few more gesticulations and legionnaires were evaporating left and right. The remainder of the army parted neatly before you, knowing that they had been beaten.
You meet up again with your two groupmates [Dr_Demento] and [FrankyFourFingers]. They beam brightly, and have an aura of confidence about them. That and they were poking fun at some others of you for having reached the end first.
You wave off all claims of fame as you all know, this was just the beginning

Round Stipulation:

The Boros Legion consisted of:
20: Boros Legionnaires
6: Boros Guardsman
6: Boros Longshots
---
12: Knight Riders
6: Phoenix Soldiers

Boros Legionnaires -- :RM::WM:
Creature - Human Soldier

First strike

3 / 2

==xx==

Boros Guardsman -- :RWM:
Creature - Human Soldier

Battalion - Whenever Boros Guardsman and at least two other creatures attack, each attacking creature gets +1/+0 until the end of turn.

2 / 3

==xx==

Boros Longshot -- :RM::WM:
Creature - Human Archer

:RM:, :T:: Boros Longshot deals 2 damage to target creature.
:WM:, :T:: Remove target attacking creature from combat.

1 / 2

==xx==

Phoenix Soldier -- :RM::RM:
Creature - Human Soldier

When Phoenix Soldier dies, put a 3/3 red Phoenix creature token with flying and haste onto the battlefield.

1 / 1

==xx==

Knight Rider -- :WM::WM:
Creature - Human Knight

First strike
Battalion - When Knight Rider and at least two other creatures attack, creatures you control get protection from black until the end of turn.

2 / 2

Orzhov Market:

==ORZHOV MARKETPLACE==

You all begin on the ornate streets leading up to the Orzhov Guildgate. Along the way you come across a market place, and decided to rest and ration yourselves. The stall owners take this chance to berate you with special offers. Some of them seem intriguing.

==xx==

Several of the group take advantage of this "generous" air in the market.
[chinkeeyong] conjures a tool to enhance his and others spellcasting.
[ConfusedAsUsual] purchases a fine blade, with a pristine enchantment, as does [altimis] the angelguard.
[theatog] purchased a little "extra life" from one of the contractors (hopefully he made a good deal and not a bargain).
[FrankyFourFingers] takes this opportunity to prepare for the worst and cast yet another protective ward for the group; the entire group this time.
[Dr_Demento] worries about paying some debt, he buys insurance, in the form of an "insurance" agent. It calms his mind.
[an_endless_epidemic] begins worrying and gets overly protective about his berries. He searches his satchel, and pokes his berry bag, but can't find his berries anywhere.

[altimis], looking to avoid anymore awkward tension regarding the apparent "forgeiner", takes the lead of the group.

Orzhov Guildgate:

==GUILDGATE TWO: ORZHOV==

The group dutifully follows [altimis] down the exquisite avenue. Some of the passers-by eye the group warily, but leave them alone. Maybe they have heard of their task, maybe they haven't, but they are all aware of that angelguard that leads them.
Eventually, the large guildgate looms into sight, at last your next challenge will commence; [altimis] turns to the group.

"Before we enter, I should warn you, especially you 'foreigners' that the Orzhov guild is not to be taken lightly. They may appear to be weak and lowly, but they simply use that to their advantage. Speaking of weak and lowly, where is [Kuro_Ageha]?"

You all look among you. None of you noticed, but [Kuro_Ageha] is nowhere to be seen. Was he still at the market, or worse?

"By Isbin! You all will have to continue on without me. I'll get you in there, but once you're in, you're on your own. I'll go looking for [Kuro_Ageha]. Just remember what I said, the Orzhov betray your eyes like they betray the living. May fortune light your way."

[altimis] holds a chain to the gate and it unlocks before you, he barges in first wielding his sword and shield, but nothing happened.
A wave of thick, musty air overtakes the group as you all realize this isn't a field like the last challenge, but a synagogue. It's inhabitants turn to face the intruders, several clerics and their angelic counterparts. They bare no arms against you, and beckon you forwards; you agree, but barely.
[altimis] glares at his darker brothers and sisters and whispers before leaving, "Don't buy this 'fair' act."
The doors close behind you.

One of the clerics speak up, "How many are you?"

"We are enough, why do you ask?"

"Strong words for an honest question, the guildgates are supposed to be a challenge, not impossible. If you need to, some of us can leave. We don't want to risk the appearance of the rogue guild."

"I think you'll be fine where we can all see you." [SimonGlume] says.

"Very well then, we shall get started."

The clerics, previously standing in an organized circle, turn and form a line against you. They still have no weapons, but being clerics fills you with enough dread. The angels on the other hand, draw wicked blades each one different and take to the rafters.

This battle doesn't look remotely entertaining.

==xx==

[Dr_Demento] strikes a deal with these clerics. They alter the deal, slightly.
[chinkeeyong] gains control of Angelic Blade, and sends his goblins in towards the group of angels. Unfrotunately, as they attack, their skin shrivels and they collapse on the floor.
[an_endless_epidemic] launches a bolt at Angelic Scepter, [theatog] in fear of a result launches it at one of the clergyman.
[ConfusedAsUsual] decides to smite the very soul of Angelic Shield.
[Shockwave07] protects himself from any potential danger and [chinkeeyong] mimics this as protection for his newfound friend., and holds his weird back for defense. He mimics the energy of [chinkeeyong] and gains control of one of the Ostracationers.
[FrankyFourFingers] casts a spell to transform into one of the Virtuous Skyguard. However, his spells finds nothing but the synagogue wall as the angel deflects the spell with a wave of her hand.

==xx==

The spell the clerics cast takes effect and the light that is absorbed from your very soul, is transferred to all of them. You all feel slightly weakened by this. But not as much as you could have given [FrankyFourFingers]'s protective ward about you. But, you stand with hope knowing that [Ulcaster] manipulated the very magic of it, and that now it effects you instead of the clerics.
Many people realize, in presence of two combat negation spells, that attacking is useless, besides the fact that the clerics have protection themselves. This battle will prove difficult unless you find more subtle maneuvers.
[ConfusedAsUsual] decides that the enchantment will cause more trouble than it is worth, and decides to remove it entirely. His card draw (which I'm assuming you picked both) reveals this:

Sins of the Unworthy -- :WM::BM:
Enchantment

Extort
Creature tokens get -1/-1.

[eddned] weakens the newly found shield, and decides to extort his own spell, twice with help from his helper.
NOTE: You don't target with extort, it just works automatically against each opposing creature on the battlefield.
The effects of this extortion are clear and deadly. Angelic Scepter falls to the ground, completely weakened. She dies. The clerics fall to the ground, but their own extortion has spared them, but only barely. The shield falls to the ground, and flies no more.
You all recover that which you had previously lost to the Orzhov.

==xx==

At the very moment that the Angelic Blade and Ostracationer snap back to their original selves, an odd presence is felt. Something that isn't the doing to the clerics, but some anceint workings previously set into motion.
Both Angelic Scepter and Angelic Shield awaken from thier rest. Refreshed, but different in a way. They appear to be glowing brightly and slightly ethereal even.
You also notice the fallen goblins stirring about, with the same ethereal glow. They look at each other perturbed, then back away from the clerics and angels they were previously attacking.
There is nothing more than this as the angels again take flight towards the rafters.
The clerics return to their linear formation in front of the exit, and stand their solemnly plotting there next move.

Dimir Guildgate:

==GUILDGATE THREE: DIMIR==

Secrets... Intrigue... Scandal!

Azorius Guildgate:

==GUILDGATE FOUR: AZORIUS==

At the moment the gate opens completely, the guildgate begins to tremble and quake.

You all hear Marret in your head, "Congratulations you all, I will do what I can to make sure you make it safely, just run for the exit now that it is complete. Jariis mentions that we will meet again, when the time is right."

Not needing any prompting, you jump at the opportunity to escape this dreadful place and regroup as a whole, terrified at what might have happened to the others; and what might happen further down the road.

You see [altimis] leading the way, with a glowing sword. You see a brilliant blue light head for him, that suddenly stops and disappears. It's owner, wraps her head in her hands and writhes uncontrollably inadvertently tripping another of the Dimir agents. This only spurs your escape more as you rush blindly after [altimis] and the others.

It feels like hours before [altimis] finally lands in the street and you all catch up to him. He turns to acknowledge the group openly for the first time in forever.

"That was more exciting than I would have liked. I'm glad it's over. That said, I have some good news for us all. Marret and Jariis both gave me plans for the next two guildgates, the next two guildgates in order are Azorius and Simic. That doesn't sound so bad, what could possibly go wrong? Well, the Simic may be problematic but the Azorius tend to be rather bold, bland, and blunt in their schemes. There is good news, and there is bad news however. Good news, is just that, it will be bold, bland, and blunt. The bad news, is that we are already here. Let us hope that we can survive this without taking our own lives in boredom."

You all look up, and find that [altimis] was correct. Without knowing you have wandered up above the majority of Ravnica and stand atop a large wall housing the Azorius guildate. The entrance was guarded with decorated lawmages that stared at your little party.

You cautiously approach them, and they stop you upon entry.

"Halt! In accordance to Lavinia's recent update to regulation CXII of the 'Grandmasters Requiem' instituted in part due to the discovery of the Implicit Maze, paragraphs 17 to 35 explain new rules regarding maze-runners due to recent mishaps with previous runners..."

"Ruric Thar?" [altimis] inquires.

"That information is kept private by institution of the Maze-Runners Log courtesy of Lavinia herself, again. Shall we explain to you the rules of the gate?"

"Briefly, please. I fear some of us are moving closer to the edge..."

"Your sarcasm is noted angelguard and will be properly described in your page of the MRL."
(Oh please)
"Due to the destruction of the last group, the rules have bee updated to challenge Maze-Runners on their mental talent rather than their destructive tendencies. Put simply," the guard states looking at [altimis] rolling his eyes, "you will be tried to cast a spell that we shall grace with criticism, and grade in strict confidentiality. In order to pass the gate, you must pass the test. Do you understand?"

They pause and look over the group, as do you. Head-scratching and nodding is the general concensus, something didn't seem right. This was rather bold for the Azorius let us cast a big spell for grading. There had to be a catch.

"Of course, you won't be able to actually cast the spell as you have entered a mana free zone. You will be unable to cast an spells, we will have you in a room with deeply mental vapors that will allow you, and us, to visualize the spell for grading. It is nothing more than a magicians trick vapor; you have no need to fear. We Azorius wish to keep strict order and safety maintained at the guildgate. Please, proceed. One more thing, you may work together for this challenge, and only the final version (or otherwise noted version) will be graded. Good luck."

The two guards lead you into a room with an oval table, surrounded by chairs. A test, no mana, no magic, just a basic design task?

"Leave it to the Azorius to dumb down an otherwise exciting challenge." [altimis] murmurs to himself.

"We can hear you," [altimis] chuckles mockingly (We can hear you), "you may begin."

==xx==

The two guards quickly scan the mind space that is everything in the room, and they hand Keyrunes to the following people:
--
ConfusedAsUsual
chinkeeyong
FrankyFourFingers
an_endless_epidemic
eddned
--
You are free to go.

Simic Market:

==SIMIC MARKETPLACE==

Moving along the road, you quickly come across alien buildings, you have entered into the world of the Simic.

As interesting and intricate this fantasy is, there is an aura of creepyness as well. You find yourselves among other people and alien creatures as the crowd begins to thicken. It is clear... you are in the middle of a Simic Market!

As awkward and potentially creepy as it is, you can feel a well flow of mana pouring from this market, you mind grows with possibility, and your eagerness brings you stall to stall.

==xx==

Gruul Market:

==GRUUL MARKETPLACE==

The scene is madness. Complete and utter disarray.

The simic observers say that you are free to go, but they keep [an_endless_epidemic].
[altimis] leaves, telling others that if they stay they are stuck.

At that, everyone goes ballistic, but they all show one common theme. They stuck together; like [an_endless_epidemic] to a Simic Growth Biome.

Needless to say, as all hell begins to break loose, everything stops. Everything.

The Simic Growth Biome release [an_endless_epidemic] harshly to the ground, before sinking into it itself. Confused, everyone turns towards their "captors".

The leader holds his hand to his throat and begins ot speak.
"You have passed the test. Congratulations. We wanted to see how strong your bond was together, and if not, to get another test subject. You have shown us your devotion, not only to your task, but to each other, strangers even. You have our blessing, and may leave in peace."

The gates, that were sealed, are again released upon your "passing". You walk outside and hear another scream from behind you. Not again. You turn around and find another Simic Growth Biome entangling [an_endless_epidemic] within it's vinel. He screams and struggles.

He is suddenly released, and the vinel gently pats him on the head. He frantically feels his head and shoulders and arms. He wiggles his body and shudders.
"It... it hugged me. Eww."

You all laugh. That awkward laugh, but it's pleasant to be able to laugh all the same.

You find [altimis] and [eddned] outside waiting for you impatiently.
"what took you so long? I left just fine!" [eddned] yells.

[altimis] calms him down, and soon you are walking down a well-tread path eventually heading onto a dirt avenue. You emerge into a wide open expanse, filled with every kind of being you can imagine. You are among the gruul lands now, and apparently it's time for the market.

[altimis] looks at all of you. "Well go on! We don't have all day! Enjoy yourselves for a bit."
You head out into the gruul marketplace, looking for wonderful trinkets and tropical souveniers. Today is going to be a good day.

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
CURRENT PARTY:

ConfusedAsUsual - GUILDLESS

---

Seasoned Freelancer -- ()
Creature - Human Soldier Wizard (X)

Vigilance
: Seasoned Freelancer gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
, : Seasoned Freelancer deals 2 damage to target creature. Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to Seasoned Freelancer this turn.
3 / 3

Inventory/Effects: 1 / 4

Artifacts: 1/2

Blade of Conflict - :WM::BM:
Artifact - Equipment (X)
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has first strike.
As long as Blade of Conflict is equipped, creatures you control get +1/+1 and creatures you do not control get -1/-1.
Equip -
==xx==

Ulcaster - GUILDLESS

---

Street Urchin --

When Street Urchin enters the battlefield, you may exchange a card in your hand with one in your graveyard.
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff the guilds throw out...
1 / 1

an_endless_epidemic - SELESNYA

---

Creature - Kor Druid (X)

Lifelink

1 / 4

theatog - SIMIC

---

Con Experimentalist --

Evolve
Whenever Con Experimentalist blocks, you may reveal a creature card from your hand. If you do, you may have it become a copy of that card or target creature until the end of combat.
2 / 3

Enchantments: 1/2

Unwavering Confidence :WPM:
Enchantment - Aura (X)

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is indestructible as long as you attacked with one more creature in your last turn.

"What an ego boost! Having the most prestigious army on Ravnica all at your feet."
- Journal Entry -
==xx==

Dr-Demento - ORZHOV

---

Relic Collector -- :WUM::WUM:
Creature - Vedalken Spellshaper (X)

:WUM::WUM:, :T:, Discard a card: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

"Why make my own legacy when I can collect a thousand more?"
2 / 4

FrankyFourFingers - AZORIUS

---

Filibustering Senator -- :WM::UM:
Creature - Human Advisor (X)

At the beginning of your upkeep name a card, until your next upkeep the named card cannot be played.
:W::W::U::U: : Look at target opponent's hand.

0 / 3

Inventory/Effects: 2 / 4

Decree of Safety -- :WM::WM:
Enchantment (U)

White and/or blue creatures you control have protection from red.
==xx==
Watchful Gaze -- :WM:
Enchantment (X)

Creatures with haste enter the battlefield tapped.
Untapped creatures you control get +0/+2.

CKY - RAKDOS

---

Death Lyricist --
Creature – Goblin Wizard

()(): Target creature can't block this turn.
()(), : Creatures you control get +X/+0 until end of turn.

"Get on the floor! Kick out the door! Yo, Team Rakdos is goin' to war!"
2 / 2

Inventory/Effects: 2 / 4

Wheels of Steel --
Artifact (X)

:T:, , :T:, , :T:, Make a record-scratching noise: Copy target instant or sorcery spell with a converted mana cost of 1. You may choose new targets for the copy.
==xx==

Roaring Rhythm -- :RM::RM:
Enchantment (U)

Creatures you and your teammates control get +1/+0.

"Best to end yo' life on a high note."
-MC Noise-
==xx==

Shockwave07 - IZZET

---

Izzet Repicaster -- :UM::RM:

:URM:: Copy target instant or sorcery you control. Choose new targets for the copy.

"Everybody loves more explosions. Well except for maybe that Justiciar..."
1 / 3

eddned - ORZHOV

---

Low-Ranking Orzhov -- :WBM:
Creature - Human Drone (X)

Extort

1 / 1

Amulet of Loss --
Artifact (X)

:T:, Pay 1 life: Target player loses 1 life.
==xx==

THE HOST -
altimis - BOROS

Host - Angelguard

Dauntless Angelguard -- :RM::WM::WM:
Creature - Angel Soldier (X)

Flying, vigilance
:RWM:, :T:: The next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn, is dealt to another target creature instead.

4 / 4

Faithslayer --
Artifact - Equipment (U)

Equip
As long as Faithslayer is equipped, it gains "Whenever a spell or ability causes you to lose life, Faithslayer deals that much damage to target creature or player. (This ignores life loss due to damage.)" and " :WM::BM:, :T:, Pay 2 life: Add :WM::BM: to your mana pool."

Followers:

Skroc Weird -- :URM:
Creature - Weird (X)
[Shockwave07]
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Skroc Weird gains flying until the end of turn.

1 / 2

==xx==

Bird -- [:UM:]
Creature Token - Bird (X)
[Ulcaster]
Flying

1 / 1

==xx==

Bird -- [:UM:]
Creature Token - Bird (X)
[Ulcaster]
Flying

1 / 1

==xx==

Spirit -- [:WM:]
Creature Token - Spirit (X)
[ConfusedAsUsual]
Vigilance
Sacrifice Spirit Guard: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be deal to target creature this turn.

1 / 1

==xx==

Harmless Trespasser -- :UM:
Creature - Spirit (X)
[FrankyFourFingers]
When Harmless Trespasser enters the battlefield, target creature you control with a power of 1 or less is unblockable this turn.

==xx==

Infogorator -- :GM::UM::UM:
Creature - Frog Beast Mutant (X)
[theatog]
Flash
When Infogorator enters the battlefield, combat damage dealt to creatures you control this turn, is dealt in the form of +1/+1 counters.
Flatulence has never been so invigorating, thanks to this new specie.
1 / 4

==xx==

Junior Thrull -- :BM:
Creature - Thrull (X)
[eddned]
Lifelink, extort

1 / 1

==xx==

Enterprising Thug -- :BM:

Intimidate
Whenever Enterprising Thug deals combat damage to a player, it gains extort. (This effect doesn't end at the end of turn, multiple extort keywords trigger multiple times)
1 / 2
"So, I found this letter when I visited your house the other day, shame if your wife found out about it..."

Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Updates post -

**I have plans to make people die, just be warned.

**Instead of special class-based abilities, there will be guild-related rewards for those of the guilds.
***NOTE: If you ally with a guild, it might also make it harder for you in enemy guilds (there are pros and cons to everything).

**Milling in game - still working on it... I'll probably just stunt mana for the following round (depending on who is milling)

**Drawing cards - I give you some information about something depending on what the card draw is related too.

**Paying life - You become easier to kill... I don't know exactly how to calculate the in-betweens BUT if you pay too much life bad things happen.
***You can't pay more life than you have toughness.
***If you have paid life equal to your toughness, you "pass out" and skip the next round.
***If you are passed out, I will note it and hopefully people will protect you

Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
The audition criteria -

1) Create your character card.
2) Choose a guild, or guildless.

Character Creation:

For this adventure, you're character MUST be humanoid, and should be able to exist in typical conditions without much of a struggle. Your character will determine the colors of spells you will be able to cast so think carefully when you create your character. Your character CANNOT have more than 3 colors. Your character CANNOT be legendary.
You may choose to have a class. IF you do, it must be in the typeline of your submission.
These stipulations will not always be the same, and just apply for this adventure.

THERE ARE NO SPECIAL CLASSES THIS EPISODE
Instead, you have guild affiliations that become important at different parts of the game.
Choose a guild

Restrictions:
You can only choose a guild if you share at LEAST ONE COLOR with it.
Example: A :GM::UM: creature can't choose Orzhov, Rakdos, or Boros.

Your character card must be, humanoid and able to communicate and survive in normal circumstances.
Feel free to give your character abilities, it doesn't have to be guild related, but it can be.

Good luck!
The round closes Friday night/Saturday morning!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Wow this is a seriously impressive endeavour...does your wife know what your up to?

Oh wait...since this is Episode III, I would be considered a new player and should instead PM you yes?

Based on the knowledge Mown has provided:

Back Alley Seer
Creature - Human Wizard
, : Target player draws X cards and loses X life.
Knowledge is its own price.
2/2 

Dimir please. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
How exactly do returning characters work? I believe mine fits best in Dimir or Orzoph. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Card Draw is rare outside of blue

black can pull it off with a graveyard building mechanic but then again blue fills the graveyard best
Wow this is a seriously impressive endeavour...does your wife know what your up to?

Oh wait...since this is Episode III, I would be considered a new player and should instead PM you yes? 

No, this is the start of the game. He means after the adventure has started.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

How exactly do returning characters work? I believe mine fits best in Dimir or Orzoph. 

You can choose to use this character instead of making a brand new one.
If you have grown attached to him, that is.

There's no reward or penalty for playing returned characters except for bragging rights for having survived the last episode.

*NOTE* You start without any equipment or enchantments though...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Is a class that hasn't been printed in Ravnica acceptable? - Also, non Ravnica mechanics OK?

Blood Mage Artificer 
Creature - Human Spellshaper Artificer
Extort
, Pay 2 life, Discard a card: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost, reveal that card, put that card into your hand, then shuffle your library.
2/2

Choosing Orzhov, though this design may very well get an edit.
Is a class that hasn't been printed in Ravnica acceptable? - Also, non Ravnica mechanics OK?

Yes? I'm open for anything as long as it fits the restrictions I have provided.
I'll let you know if I have a problem with something, but again, I'm very lenient.

Non-Ravnica mechanics are more-than-welcome.
Banding is not.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I definitely want in, but im not sure which guild to choose yet...
There is always guildless (I think?)

Seasoned Freelancer - () 
Creature - Human Soldier Wizard 
Vigilance 
: ~ gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn. 
, : Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to ~ this turn. It deals 2 damage to target creature.
"Justice? No, then he would have stayed among the Boros. Money? No, then he would have went under the Orzhov's employ. There is something else, something we can't yet tell. Keep an eye on him." - Azorius Senate
3/3
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
There is always guildless (I think?)

Seasoned Freelancer - ()
Creature - Human Soldier Wizard
Vigilance
: ~ gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
, : ~ deals 2 damage to target creature. Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to ~ this turn.
3/3

Guildless is an option (it's just not advetised like a guild is)
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Ok, I'm going to go with Guildless.

Street Urchin
Creature - Human Rogue
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exchange a card in your hand with one in your graveyard.
1/1

Is this ok?
You had to start it now didn't you? I might see if I can jump in after school winds up next week.
I'm aligning with the Selesynans! Because...I'm a bitch, pretty much

Actually, it's because we're like Synergy buddies...life gain and stuff... 
You had to start it now didn't you? I might see if I can jump in after school winds up next week.

Keep in mind the first round isn't starting until Monday...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:

Keep in mind the first round isn't starting until Monday...

I'll see about joining up the Monday after that.
Roughly 24 hours before I make a compilation.

Note... technically you have until Monday. But the sooner the better.

Also, considering the nature of this episode I would like to point out one thing.
Every so often, there will be a chance to "save" your progress.

Given that I am planning on having people die in this episode, inactivity can mean the worst. At these specified "save" points, if you feel that you won't be able to participate within the next 24 to 48 hours, let me know and I'll hold your character at that spot. That will prevent your character from accidentally dying.

I'll explain it a little better when it comes up, and when I'm not about to go to bed
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Con Experimentalist
Creature - Human Wizard 
Evolve
Whenever ~ blocks, you may reveal a creature card from your hand. If you do, you may have ~ becomes a copy of that card or target creature until the end of combat.
2/3

Simic And a slightly "leveled up" version of my existing self.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I going to actually try and pay attention to this this time.

In (and thinking). 
Back Alley Seer --
[:UBM:DIMIR:UBM:]
, : Target player draws X cards and loses X life.
Knowledge is its own price.
2 / 2

Blood Mage Artificer --
Creature - Human Spellshaper Artificer (X)
[:WBM:ORZHOV:WBM:]
Extort
, Pay 2 life, Discard a card: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost, reveal that card, put that card into your hand, then shuffle your library.

2 / 2

Knight of Inquiry --
Creature - Human Knight (X)
[:WUM:AZORIUS:WUM:]
Vigilance
:UWM::WUM:: Target opponent detains a permanent he or she controls that isn't detained.
Knowledge, control, law.
2 / 3

Seasoned Freelancer -- ()
Creature - Human Soldier Wizard (X)
[:XM:GUILDLESS:XM:]
Vigilance
: Seasoned Freelancer gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
, : Seasoned Freelancer deals 2 damage to target creature. Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to Seasoned Freelancer this turn.
3 / 3

Swap the order of the last ability, so you don't name it twice?
:WRM:, :T:: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to Seasoned Freelancer this turn. It deals 2 damage to target creature.

Street Urchin --
[:XM:GUILDLESS:XM:]
When Street Urchin enters the battlefield, you may exchange a card in your hand with one in your graveyard.
1 / 1

Creature - Kor Druid (X)
[:GWM:SELESNYA:GWM:]
Lifelink

1 / 4

Con Experimentalist --
[:GUM:SIMIC:GUM:]
Evolve
Whenever Con Experimentalist blocks, you may reveal a creature card from your hand. If you do, you may have it become a copy of that card or target creature until the end of combat.
2 / 3

If Dr_Demento informs me of his decision?

Filibustering Senator -- :WM::UM:
Creature - Human Advisor (X)
[:WUM:AZORIUS:WUM:]
At the beginning of your upkeep name a card, until your next upkeep the named card cannot be played.

0 / 3

Once CKY settles on a card
[:BRM:RAKDOS:BRM:]

Cyranium: You need a not legendary creature.
Kuro_Ageha: Knight of Inquiry needs to be toned waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. The concept is okay, but it is just way to good for the costs you have given.
theatog: I think your card is a little too good, even if it only triggers during blocking (say you reveal a Griselbrand for example?). Plus being able to evolve on top of that. I think some numbers need tweaking.
Dr_Demento: I am assuming you want to play as your old character? But you haven't picked a guild yet, so I haven't put you on here yet.
vlord: Any thoughts yet?
TPmanW: Just let me know when you can join via PM, and I'll get you in.

We have a total of 7 people (maybe 8 to 10)
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
NOTE: People can still join now, round one isn't starting until Monday.
But this is my current roster.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Seeing as how I'm guildless, what type(s) of mana do i have access to? My card is mono-blue, so is that all i can use?
Filibustering Senator | :W::U:
Creature - Human Advisor

0/3

Azorius
All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring. -Chuck Palahniuk My Card as designed by febbstalicious42
Show
Four-Finger Discount :2mana: Instant Gain control of target creature. You lose life equal to its toughness. Almost as good as the five-finger discount.
phyrexianloyalty.png
Seeing as how I'm guildless, what type(s) of mana do i have access to? My card is mono-blue, so is that all i can use?

Regarding Mana:

The mana you have access to is largely dependant on your colors, but not entirely. Here's how it works.

Each round I give you a situation, a summary, and your mana restrictions.
The situation is the story behind everything.
The summary is just the vital things for people who just skim through things.
The mana restrictions tell you how much of what mana you have to respond to the current situation.

If I said:
You have 5 mana to work with in the form of 2 C C C.
That means you have and three mana of any of your card's colors in your mana pool. In your case (being mono-blue) you would have :UM::UM::UM: available.
Sometimes, but rarely, I'll give you mana of ANY color.

In this episode, Guild affiliations mostly affect certain pros and cons for certain scenarios throughout the game. If you are selesnya aligned and you come across a rakdos guild party... you might die. Just saying...

However, what I might do (sparingly), is allow you access to mana of your affiliated guild. For example:
If your mana cost is :WM::BM: and you are aligned with Dimir. I might give you something like this:
2 C C [Guild]
Which would mean you have access to :WBM::WBM::UBM:

In short, choose a color(s) that you will enjoy designing for the most. you won't be designing strictly for it, but a majority will be those colors.

Regarding Characters:

Choose colors that you think you will have the most fun playing.
This is an RPG of sorts, so you'll have a chance to interact with others and with the environment similar to your ideals.
Like if you are Rakdos or Izzet aligned, you'd be more chaotic than Selesnya or Azorius aligned... things like that.

Keep in mind also, the themes of your guild: things like secrecy, law, freedom, experimentation etc. I'm going to add a flavor of conflict and you'll see how in a bit. Even though the group is sticking together, each player may or may not have a schedule of their own.

Trust no one, to stay alive; but work together, to survive.
Do you have what it takes?

I hope I'm ramping up the excitement here.
I also hope this lives up to it's potential
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
The thing is, if it costs any more, it becomes useless the instant an opponent gets an enchantment/artifact with static/triggered effects.
Either that or I'll have to limit it to creatures, and that just won't be as interesting...

Meh.

Knight of Inquiry
Creature - Human Knight
[AZORIUS]

Vigilance
: Target opponent detains a creature he or she controls that isn't detained.

Knowledge, control, law.

2/3

I think you're underestimating the power of repeatable detain. Note New Prahv Guildmage.
I apologize, I normally don't make too much fuss about designs (ask anyone) however, being able to detain multiple creatures each round is certainly not fair for me. It is a game for me too, I do have something to win 8^p
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I'm not underestimating it.
The fact is that your opponent will be the one choosing.
This means that if they so much have 2 spirit tokens from a Lingering Soul on the field, the ability is nigh pointless.
I will NOT be spending 4 mana to detain 2 1/1 creatures, thank you very much ._.

Okay, nope. I forgot that the opponent chooses it.
For the game perspective that's fine, you can play that as is.

On a design-related note there are only two creatures (Gatherer is lying which it seems to do lately) that are 2/3 with vigilance. Both of which are green. One is legendary, and the other is pseudo-vigilant. That's why I am/was iffy with the card. If I were designing it, I would either make it :WUM::WUM: or :WM::UM: depending on whether I valued the hybrid or cheap more at the time. But again, that doesn't matter in this game so your card is fine

Also, (not at you Kuro) I just want to take the time to remind everyone that this is a game not a contest. No grades will be put up, if you want grades afterwards go ahead and ask (I will do my best to get them up ASAP). NOTE: It would be after the game is done in it's entirety. I try to keep this thread as clutter free as possible once the game officially starts.

A small story continuation coming up in a bit. The game doesn't start for another 24 hours at the least.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Yo, no need to check that disappearing act,
Baby we're in Ravnica, weird magic here is fact,
Sure the hood I can track, but I like bein' intact,
And stayin' that's no guarantee with guys the Izzet or Gruul backed.
Imma just hang back here in Tin Street with my boys,
Impress the crowd with my slick flow and my blinged out toys,
Baby you call yourself cool? I invented poise,
Rakdos bard in the house, yo, bow down to MC Noise
Check it.

Death Lyricist

Creature – Goblin Wizard
2/2

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

A notice for everyone, I post updated rules for:

Milling -
Card draw -
Paying life -

**Milling in game - still working on it... I'll probably just stunt mana for the following round (depending on who is milling)

**Drawing cards - I give you some information about something depending on what the card draw is related too.

**Paying life - You become easier to kill... I don't know exactly how to calculate the in-betweens BUT if you pay too much life bad things happen.
***You can't pay more life than you have toughness.
***If you have paid life equal to your toughness, you "pass out" and skip the next round.
***If you are passed out, I will note it and hopefully people will protect you

These were the most popular effects that I've noticed. If there's anything else you might need to know... let me know.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Yo, no need to check that disappearing act,
Baby we're in Ravnica, weird magic here is fact,
Sure the hood I can track, but I like bein' intact,
And stayin' that's no guarantee with guys the Izzet or Gruul backed.
Imma just hang back here in Tin Street with my boys,
Impress the crowd with my slick flow and my blinged out toys,
Baby you call yourself cool? I invented poise,
Rakdos bard in the house, yo, bow down to MC Noise
Check it.

Death Lyricist

Creature – Goblin Wizard
2/2

===xxx===

THE LORD CROW CAWS APPRECIATIVELY AT ITS OWN SHOW OF POWER (THOUGH IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE HAD THE INTENDED EFFECT ON THE TRESPASSERS). NOW POSSESSED OF DIVINE CHARISMA AND RARING WITH THE CONFIDENCE THAT BEFITS AN ARCH-DEITY OF STORMS, IT TURNS TO FIX THE PUNY LIZARD DEAD IN THE EYES WITH ITS CHILLING AVIAN GAZE. THE LORD CROW SHALL CONQUER THE SKIES UPON ITS INEFFABLE JET WINGS, AND NOTHING – CERTAINLY NOT THIS BLUSTERING LIZARD – WILL STAND IN ITS WAY!

Caw of Heavenly Dominion

Sorcery (M)

Affinity for Birds
Gain control of target creature with flying.

"It owned the sky and the clouds, and the sun and moon that shone from above, as well as all the realms and oceans that twinkled below. Such was the power of the Venerable Crow."
–Caw of All, canto 2-3

THE LORD CROW ALSO SUMMONS THE EYES OF THE CELESTIAL RAVEN ONCE MORE, BECAUSE IT TIRES OF ITS DISCIPLES' HUMOROUS-BUT-ULTIMATELY-COUNTERPRODUCTIVE MISUNDERSTANDINGS OF ITS COMMANDS.

Venerated Crow of Unrelenting Storms

Creature – Bird (M)
1/2

Flying

Its wings, the sky; its cry, the thunder; its wrath, the tempest.

Colorshifted... but definately related
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Joining in, by the way before I write up my character how do you do the code for mana symbols?
Joining in, by the way before I write up my character how do you do the code for mana symbols?

[mc] tags. [mc]1wubrgt[/mc] gives . Type :xm: to get .

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Thank testing [mc]tur[/c]
Just a bit of story to get everyone hyped up some more. I will also post this in the story post...

The game doesn't start for another 22 hours...
For those of you already in character:

Your vision is not yet completely cleared...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Agh! Used to autocard! Take 2!
Izzet Repicaster [mc]1urr[/c]
[mc]1ur[/c] Copy target instant or sorcery you control. Choose new targets for the copy.
"Everybody loves more explosions. Well except for maybe that Justiciar..." 1/3
Why!? God... Need to fix. Can't edit with I phone Internet. But also character is a human wizard
Izzet Repicaster [mc]1urr[/c] [mc]1ur[/c] Copy target instant or sorcery you control. Choose new targets for the copy. "Everybody loves more explosions. Well except for maybe that Justiciar..." 1/3

mc and /mc

Personally, I use colons instead... (then I don't have to differentiate between colors and X's)

W = :W:
WM = :WM:

you can just do wubrg to represent colors, and do a colon on either side of each symbol. Notice though that the WM is crisper...

Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote: