4e Blackmoor Mystic and other Blackmoor Fun

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just picked up Dave Arneson's Blackmoor - The First Campaign 4e book the other day and despite the fact that the classes presented are kinda behind the times, optimization-wise, I find myself intrigued by the Mystic.

For those who don't know, he's a Dex or Wisdom based Defender with the Spiritual power source and he fights unarmed.  In other words, he's kinda like a Defendery Monk.

I built a Harbinger Mystic (Dex based) and loaded him up with Auspicious Birth background for extra HP and the Guardian theme and Squire of Righteousness (MC Cavalier) to give him the defender aura and more defendery type opportunities, since his base marking power, Focus of Doom, is really just a simple minor action mark with no mark punishment as such.  One of his features is that he starts each day with two action points and cool things happen even in Heroic when he spends an action point, so I'll probably also take advantage of AP-related feats as I level him up.

Anyone else played a Mystic before, or any of the other classes presented in the 2009 Blackmoor book?  What did you like or not like?  I'm not looking for charop info on the Mystic; I could go to the other section of the boards for that, but feel free to discuss which newer game elements go well with the classes in Blackmoor, of just anything else about the Blackmoor 4e supplement.

Oh yeah, and the Egg of Coot is NOT E. Gary Gygax.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I am aware of a 3e Blackmoor product but not a 4e one. So, thanks!
I am aware of a 3e Blackmoor product but not a 4e one. So, thanks!

You're welcome.  If I had to give a one-sentence review I would say "fluff is wonderful, the crunch, not so much, but still interesting."  Part of that, though, is that some of the crunch has been exceeded by some of the official WoTC material that has been published since then.  With a bit of homebrew feat support, particularly for the new implements that are introduced, it could be awesome.  All that having been said, for some reason I kinda fell in love with the Mystic class.  I just like the idea of an unarmed monk-like defender.  I may even play him, rp-wise, as a pacifist type defender.  Sure, he'll beat the hell out of you, but since he's a Harbinger Mystic, he refuses to kill anything because he can see the threads of your future, and you may have an important role to play ... or something.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments