Favorite draft deck right now?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
So right now I've been doing pretty damn well with simic splash dimir (or vice versa), focusing heavily on evasion and control (aetherize for the finisher, agoraphobia, any kill spells i can get, and a couple corpse blockades, with a dinrova horror always helping the punch, and hands of binding too).

Three first place finishes out of last 4 tournaments (8-4), winning the first match in the one I lost (lost to heavy orzhov).

We all comment on how the draft environment on MTGo shifts from week to week depending on what is over and underdrafted, and what new strategies develop.  What do you find to be working best for you atm?  Something classic like straight orzhov with prioritizing extort cards over everything?  Or Gruul with an empathsis on trample? Interesting splashes that are consistently winning for you? 

Do tell!

I keep winning with Orzhov. The only time I lose is against Orzhov, or once after a back-to-back Gruul Charm blowout against my Basilica Screecher and Skyjek army.

Honestly, I prefer Gruul, but Simic is seeing a lot more drafting lately and Boros continues to be heavily drafted in my meta.

With the influx of Simic drafters and the overdrafting of Orzhov, Dimir continues to be a joke at my LGS.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Orhzov has been suspiciously underdrafted in the last couple of queues I've played online, so I've gotten some of my best Orzhov decks and decks I really like. I still think I like my best Simic/Dimir decks better, though.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Well, my preference in order currently:

1.  Simic:  After playing a good simic deck, it's nigh unbeatable.  Huge creatures, good curve, strong all around.  It's also really fun and makes you think a lot.
2.  Orzhov:  My best overall winning guild, I know it pretty dang well by this time.  It's the perfect aggravation style deck that I love to play in Standard FNM sometimes.
3.  Gruul:  Smashy smashy, but with a good deal of thinking as well.  It's the thinking man's aggro.
4.  Dimir:  Fun at times, as I also like pure jank.  That's not saying it's bad, but rather can be jankier than the other guilds.   Still loads of fun, and quite viable so it's alright to be in.
5.  Boros:  More like boring-os.  Hehehe.  I drafted it for the first time last week, and frankly I don't want to again.  It's just not fun.  Play creatures, turn sideways.  Turn three or more creatures sideways and some more damage goes through.  Woo.  Yay.  It's a one-trick pony that just wasn't a fun experience.

Orhzov has been suspiciously underdrafted in the last couple of queues I've played online, so I've gotten some of my best Orzhov decks and decks I really like. I still think I like my best Simic/Dimir decks better, though.

It's been happening in my local meta as well.  Last FNM was... half of the 30 people playing Simic, another good chunk playing Dimir, with Boros, Orzhov, and Gruul all just left to the way side.  It was bizarre, as we've never seen that much Simic love.  Usually it's the forced guild. 

It's been happening in my local meta as well.  Last FNM was... half of the 30 people playing Simic, another good chunk playing Dimir, with Boros, Orzhov, and Gruul all just left to the way side.  It was bizarre, as we've never seen that much Simic love.  Usually it's the forced guild. 

In the beginning of the format there was hardly ever one person drafting Simic, now there's 2-3 per table. Sorta like Golgari though... some of my best decks were Golgari in RtR. It happens as the format shifts, and should be something to keep in mind when DMZ hits.

PS I heard the "promo" card for your guild winning the prerelease is a foil plains. Womp womp.

I actually got an Orzhov deck with Gideon, Obzedat, Obedience, Treasury Thrull and like 8 other extorters. In an 8-4. It was pretty gross, but a little slow and with scarce removal.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I actually got an Orzhov deck with Gideon, Obzedat, Obedience, Treasury Thrull and like 8 other extorters. In an 8-4. It was pretty gross, but a little slow and with scarce removal.

Orzhov most powerful
But most enjoyable for me to play is gruul

Simic easily my least favorite because it's so luck-dependent on getting a good draw.
Funny but Gruul is for sure the thinking man's aggro
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Funny but Gruul is for sure the thinking man's aggro

Yeah, I really enjoy Gruul and the mechanics involved, and have from the start of set.  Picking apart the game state, properly anticipating your opponent's plays and hand, and choosing when to sacrifice board presence for damage.  Simple concept, deep strategy. 

As for Boros, I did fairly well taking into account when you pick apart the games.  I went 3-2 for the night, which isn't phenomenal but some things to consider:  My first three games were all clean sweep wins at 2-0.  My first lost was 1-2 against the guy who went on to win(Game 3 was stupendously close, where I just couldn't get through the 1 damage I needed no matter what I did), and my fifth match-up was against the person who took the number 2 seat who got paired down to me and was running what was perhaps the most ridiculous Orzhov deck I have ever seen.  It ran 3 Spectacles, two smites, a couple other removal spells, three Screechers, Two Syndics, Two Alms beasts, a Treasury Thrull, a couple Guards, and other ridiculousness.  I was happy with my finish, really, given the circumstances.  I just really don't like playing Boros.  There is almost nothing to the guild that interests me.  If I want Aggro, I'm going to go gruul now.  Just far more deep and interesting strategy.

Forcing Selesnya and trolling a draft by snatching Syndics and Slaughterhorns and Ivy Lane Denizens.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I love a good Esper control (Orzhov splashing Dimir).  Heavy removal, relatively low creature count, and plenty of tricks.  I've won games after stabilizing at one life (largely on the back of Call of the Nightwing), and I've won other games without ever letting damage through.

Orzhov splashing red is just as good, if red removal gets to me, but that doesn't come together as often.
I drafted a sweet Golgari splash-blue deck once, too. I had Lord of the Void and Unexpected Results both in the maindeck. It was hilarious.
Forcing Selesnya and trolling a draft by snatching Syndics and Slaughterhorns and Ivy Lane Denizens.

An interesting idea.  Gatecrash's follow-up to Boros in RtR?
It's Simic for me, but as posters have mentioned, Simic is getting more attention now so it is getting harder.

That said, when it is open, and the MtGO is kind to you, you can get some insane decks.

Went 6-0 2 nights ago with a 21 creature Simic deck; my only 2 non-creature spells were Rapid Hybridization and Ooze Flux (insane in Simic)... and this was after spending my first 6 picks on Boros/Orzhov cards, but getting 7th pick Crocanaura, 8th pick Rapid Hybridization was probably as good a sign that Simic was open as any other.

I am confused by all of the people stating that Simic is open and that they are getting strong decks with it on MtGO. According to the Ars Arcanum article, Simic is drafted exactly as much as you would expect, and has the second lowest win rate out of all of the guilds. I'm just not seeing the dominant Simic decks everyone is talking about. I haven't been able to draft a single Simic deck myself (including the time I first picked Master Biomancer and had incentive to stick with it.) And the only strong Simic deck I've played against played Cloudfin -> Shambleshark -> 3 CMC evolver for it's first three turns consistantly. You need a lot of Cloudfins and Shamblesharks to be able to pull that off.
I am confused by all of the people stating that Simic is open and that they are getting strong decks with it on MtGO. According to the Ars Arcanum article, Simic is drafted exactly as much as you would expect, and has the second lowest win out of all of the guilds. I'm just not seeing the dominant Simic decks everyone is talking about. I haven't been able to draft a single Simic deck myself (including the time I first picked Master Biomancer and had incentive to stick with it.) And the only strong Simic deck I've played against played Cloudfin -> Shambleshark -> 3 CMC evolver for it's first three turns consistantly. You need a lot of Cloudfins and Shamblesharks to be able to pull that off.

That's pretty much the way most of the best simic decks I have seen have ended up.  You just want a giant pile of Cloudfin Raptors, Shamblesharks, Metropolis Sprites, Frilled Oculuses, Drakewing Krasis and Crocanuras, seasoned with whatever uncommons like Experiment One and Evasive Krasiss you're lucky enough to pick up.  The thing is there are multiple commons that let you curve out great at all CMC except 1; at 1, there is really just Cloudfin Raptor, which makes that card so key.  The best simic decks are the ones that usually get lucky enough to get 3 or 4 of them.

Cloudfin->Sprite->Drakewing puts 8 points of flying power on the board turn 3; that can be just as hard or harder to deal with than Cloudfin->Shambleshark->Crocanura.  But all the crazy starts have Cloudfin or Experiment One. 
I am confused by all of the people stating that Simic is open and that they are getting strong decks with it on MtGO. According to the Ars Arcanum article, Simic is drafted exactly as much as you would expect, and has the second lowest win out of all of the guilds. I'm just not seeing the dominant Simic decks everyone is talking about. I haven't been able to draft a single Simic deck myself (including the time I first picked Master Biomancer and had incentive to stick with it.) And the only strong Simic deck I've played against played Cloudfin -> Shambleshark -> 3 CMC evolver for it's first three turns consistantly. You need a lot of Cloudfins and Shamblesharks to be able to pull that off.

You ignored a strong Simic deck in one of the drafts you posted. Can't "see" the forest through the trees?

Only decks i really like in gatecrash, are esper control and R/G ramp splashing bleu and/or white.

That's pretty much the way most of the best simic decks I have seen have ended up.  You just want a giant pile of Cloudfin Raptors, Shamblesharks, Metropolis Sprites, Frilled Oculuses, Drakewing Krasis and Crocanuras, seasoned with whatever uncommons like Experiment One and Evasive Krasiss you're lucky enough to pick up.  The thing is there are multiple commons that let you curve out great at all CMC except 1; at 1, there is really just Cloudfin Raptor, which makes that card so key.  The best simic decks are the ones that usually get lucky enough to get 3 or 4 of them.

Cloudfin->Sprite->Drakewing puts 8 points of flying power on the board turn 3; that can be just as hard or harder to deal with than Cloudfin->Shambleshark->Crocanura.  But all the crazy starts have Cloudfin or Experiment One. 

UA last week drafted a killer Simic deck with I think something like 6 one drops and only one shambleshark and if you look at his curve it doesn't look like you really need to rely on much "luck of the draw" as he could pretty much evolve multiple creatures every turn. Which thread was it in, I can't quite remember but I think it was recent.
Ugh I just got destroyed three tournaments in a row cause I couldn't put a deck together.

Anything that is forced to splash red ends up sucking imo. 

You ignored a strong Simic deck in one of the drafts you posted. Can't "see" the forest through the trees?

If I remember correctly I drafted a 3-0 Boros deck in that one and at that point I hadn't drafted so many non-Simic decks that I was looking to draft a Simic deck just for the experience. I'm still looking to draft a Simic deck to see how it goes. I had a resonably good chance at one recently, in that I got 3 Cloudfin Raptors in pack 2, but I had drafted a lot of black and not a single green card in pack 1 so it ended up Dimir.

If I remember correctly I drafted a 3-0 Boros deck in that one and at that point I hadn't drafted so many non-Simic decks that I was looking to draft a Simic deck just for the experience. I'm still looking to draft a Simic deck to see how it goes. I had a resonably good chance at one recently, in that I got 3 Cloudfin Raptors in pack 2, but I had drafted a lot of black and not a single green card in pack 1 so it ended up Dimir.

I think it was another one of your "why did this deck go 2-1" threads actually. The one where you were running like 2 or 3 Foundry Street Denizens.

None of the "And then I drew 6 consecutive lands/non-lands, thus ending with a 2-1, rather than a 3-0 finish" threads catalog the drafts themselves. The draft where I passed a strong Simic deck in the first 8 picks was the one where I drafted my first 3-0 Boros deck.
Either way, your point was you haven't seen a good Simic deck go by, when actually you've catalogued a draft where a good Simic deck went by. I'm nitpicking bc I'm grumpy about other things though, I'll shut up.

I'm grumpy about other things though, I'll shut up.

Grumpy about the weak P2 packs in Franchise's PM draft, amirite???
I'm grumpy about other things though, I'll shut up.

Grumpy about the weak P2 packs in Franchise's PM draft, amirite???

Nope! Those have all been good to great to awesome

Nah, some dude moved into the apartment above mine, and one over, and he snores so loud I can hear him through two apartments and an entire floor.

Haven't been sleeping well lately, basically.

My favorite guild to draft is Orzhov although I've been more succesful with Simic.
My Dimir decks have been the most fun, although not that good.
I have yet to draft a lot of Gruul or Boros. The one time I did draft Boros it was obviously open and I destroyed everyone easily. I'm looking forward to getting a nice Gruul deck together soon.
I think I've been equally successful with Boros, Orzhov and Dimir. A little better than 2-1 on average for each of those, and the number of games lost per tournament primarily a factor of the number of games where I hit mana issues. I haven't made up a Simic deck, although I've tried a number of times, but each one has ended up in one of the adjacent guilds. I've done two Gruul, and if I remember correctly they were 1-2 and 2-1.

In terms of my playstyle, Orzhov is best, and Gruul is worst.
In terms of playing interesting matches, Dimir is best and Boros is worst.
I have had the most 3-0 drafts with Boros and Orzhov.

I think Dimir decks are probably the most fun for me, but I'm usually looking to go Orzhov if it's there. 
I've had the most fun with Simic and Dimir, but my best records have been with Boros and Orzhov.

I've had some success with Gruul, but I usually don't end up in it. When I do, it tends to be a completely loaded deck.
Boros is boring but practical: I've gone undefeated in matches drafting it (I draft less often than many here because I play paper rather than MTGO) -- game losses to Gruul surviving the Daring Skyjek/Bomber corps/whatever onslaught and stabilizing desipite Massive Raid and Angelic Edict.  I should have lost a game to Dimir once, but my opponent kept forgetting to turn Lazav into a copy of whatever flier I resolved.  I don't like drafting boros, but when I get a boros bomb P1P1 and know I'll win if I do, it's hard not to.

Orzhov is, in concept, my favorite: Good removal access, strong mechanics, but less "herp ima swing derp" gameplay than Boros.    In practice, though, Extort is almost as stupid -- the challenge is in building your deck if you don't have the critical mass of cheap extort to win primarily through the mechanic

Dimir is really cool and really underdrafted.  great blue cards and marginally playable black cards often show up in my last 4 pick.  Ever last pick a Gridlock or hate an Aetherize on the wheel?  I have.  Yet... it's underdrafted for a bloody reason, and that's because halfhearted mill is a recipe for disaster, and Dimir loves it some halfhearted mill.  You need either a huge critical mass of Paranoid Delusions to make mill work, or Wight of Presinct Six and/or Consuming Aberration (multiple cards between the two) to make milling playable as a couple slots in a damage based strategy.  Otherwise, you've got some cards that are overpriced because they do casual mill (Ballustrade Spy, for instance) weakening your overall position versus a dedicated damage strategy.  I'll go Dimir iff I open up a dimir bomb.   I always secretly hope I do.

Gruul?  I haven't had much experience with gruul, and I have to say it does NOT align to my playstyle.  Why do I say that?  because to this very day when I look at most gruul cards in gatherer or the visual spoiler, my inward response is "This guild sucks worse than dimir!".  And yet solid gruul midrange decks have been the only ones capable  of matching up to the boros zerg rush.  Fancy that.

Simic is, in practice, my favorite (though not the most likely to win or the deck I draft the most often -- that would be Boros).  I love evolve, even though the opening for evolve.dec is ultra-fragile.  I love the challenge of building a simic deck with the exact right curve, and drafting a good, solid toolbox in blue/green.  I like how it falls together on the table on a good day, and I like that if I got lucky and drafted well I even have resillance against early shenanigains.  I like my Drakewing Krasis and myc Crocanura.  I just pretty much like everythign about simic.  It just... is not as strong as some other options.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I'll go Dimir iff I open up a dimir bomb.   I always secretly hope I do.

+1
It's so weird to me hearing all the Gruul hate. I won my prerelease with Gruul, and it's been the second-best guild for me in draft after Orzhov, and it's the guild that tends to blow out my Orzhov decks when I match up against it. But I can't complain, as it's shifting the meta in my favor.

I wouldn't really call it hate for Gruul.  I agree with a lot of it - I recognize that it makes a good deck if you build it right (in part thanks to losing to it several times), but when the cards are coming around in a draft it just looks so underwhelming that it's hard to want to move in. 
Sort of the opposite of Dimir, where a lot of the cards look like they should make an amazing deck but that's not how it usually runs.
I've played Simic (or RUG) in all but 3 drafts in Gatecrash, and i wouldn't have it any other way.  All those triggers make it so much fun to play!  Turn 1  into Turn 2  into Turn 3  has been very good to me, and i love almost all the green creatures in the set as well.  Early in the season, U/G was always wide open because everyone was fighting over Boros/Orzhov cards but more people have been trying it lately.  Other guilds win more tournaments, but they aren't nearly as fun to play as a good Simic deck.  
It's so weird to me hearing all the Gruul hate. I won my prerelease with Gruul, and it's been the second-best guild for me in draft after Orzhov, and it's the guild that tends to blow out my Orzhov decks when I match up against it. But I can't complain, as it's shifting the meta in my favor.

I've gotten solid Gruul decks before (with Ground Assault, Rampager, Guildmage and Clan Defiance) and still didn't feel like I was dominating. Not dominating with top cards in a guild is a very bad sign. Disliking [or being neutral on] the guild mechanic commons is another.
usually whatever rares I got
Dimir aggro. Raptor into Screecher into Skulk into Hands of Binding. And then, whatever crazy rare made me go into Dimir in the first place.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I drafted my first Simic deck this weekend, going 3-0 while drafting across from someone who was also drafting Simic and opened Master Biomancer. It was interesting--I only managed to draft one of the two cloudfin raptors at the table, then ended up being stuck between choosing Crocanura and Shambleshark. I chose the croc every time.

My favorite game was in the mirror match, when my opponent had his Biomancer out, and a summoning-sick 7/7 Experiment One and a summoning sick Shambleshark at 6/5. I was at 14, he was at 9 or 10. I had a Metropolis Sprite, an unevolved crocanura, and a Simic Fluxmage with two counters on it. End of his turn, I place a counter on the sprite, then untap and place another counter on the sprite, making her a 3/4 flyer. Then I swing in with her, bloodrush with a Slaughterhorn to make her a 6/6, and pump her four times to make her a 10/2 for lethal.

My worst matchup was against a Boros deck with a lot of red bloodrush creatures. As soon as I thought I'd stabilized and could get my evolve engine going, he'd bloodrush into my fatter blockers with Scorchwalker or Skinbrand, or he'd occasionally Act of Treason one of my bug guys and swing in with 2 Nav-Squad Commandos. Fun games though.

I have won the most with simic decks, especially when i value evolve over anything else and run 18/19 creatures.  some of those creatures are helpful if they are bloodrush creatures which makes them modal spells really in simic either cast them to trigger evolve or bloodrush as a combat trick which means i like splashing red in simic decks,  but a black splash for cipher is also do-able if the spell is worthy.

I have had success with boros as well, no splash just straight boros.