First Impressions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my friends and I finally decided to go down to our local shop on Modern night and see how things went. After playing against each other for a while, it was nice to sit down across the table from a new face and a strategy I hadn't see a thousand times before. When we arrived, there was probably about four people (the owner told me several times that Modern has the lowest turn out of any night). As soon as my friends and I got there, the owner declared that we had enough people to have small tournament. We each forked over a few bills and sat down at the table.
I brought a couple of different decks: U/B Mill, Naya Blitz, W/R Burn and Grixis Control. For some reason, I chose the burn deck. I would regret it later. The first person I played was using a UWR control deck with all the trappings: Snapcaster Mage, Isochron Scepter, Remand, etc. Not really knowing how to combat him, I threw all the burn I could his way but to no avail. I even ended up dying to 3 Snapcasters attacking me while he kept Remanding my Bonfire of the Damned. I realized in this first game, I was in for a rough evening. We finished up early and played a couple games on the side. Switching to my Naya Blitz deck, I did much better (of course it didn't matter but it was nice to win a little). Should have gone with that deck. Oh well.
The switch came and I sat down across the table from my next opponent. I honestly wish I knew what he was playing (I don't know the archetype offhand) but it was this mono white deck that destroyed lands with Ghost Quarter and then prevented you from searching your library for another with Leonin Arbiter and other similar stuff. Lots of bounce spells, angels and a dash of lifegain. I lost again, probably because I was so captivated by the strange deck that I made several mistakes (nerfing his creatures instead of just throwing damage at him).
My final match was against one of my friends. He had fared worse than I had (piloting a mono black deck) and was pretty annoyed. Our match was quick, maybe because I managed to get Gisela, Blade of Goldnight out but probably because he scooped in the middle of game two and I drew into all the burn spells I needed. We watched our other friend face down the owner of the store. My friend was playing B/R vampires, facing down some crazy variant of BUG or 4c Reanimator (never quite figured out which). In the end, it was Liliana of the Veil, Deathrite Shaman and Unburial Rites into Griselbrand and my friend picked up his cards.
Obviously, none of us won. Still, I left with a smile on my face. Despite losing almost every game I played, I enjoyed seeing the game played at a higher level and participating in that exchange. I'm writing this just to say if you haven't been to a local event, do it. I didn't emerge victorious, hands full of booster packs, but I had a great night and I look forward to going back next week. Cheers!

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

yeah, as long as the people are nice, FNM can be a lot of fun.

I have to say, though, why are you running a 7-drop in burn?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Moving to the New Player Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Sounds great.  I didn't fair too well at my first FNM either results wise, going 0-6 in games, but it was all good fun and that's long in the past.  Playing against better players is a good way to improve your game so as long as every one is nice you'll be winning prizes in no time.

Cheers
yeah, as long as the people are nice, FNM can be a lot of fun.

I have to say, though, why are you running a 7-drop in burn?

eh, I likes my angels. Trying to put together a sideboard for the deck and I have a couple Quicksilver Amulet to bring them out early (it's the poor man's cavern of souls). Mainly, I play Gisela for the double damage (if things actually go that long).

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

If the game goes that long you're probably a) topdecking and b) losing, given this is burn. And then your opponent has a chance to answer it. Running something that expensive also means you're looking at running a ton of lands.

If you really like the card that's cool, but at 5 mana there are hasty beats available and at a curve that's firmly stapled to 2 or so you can get away with running very short on lands which improves your topdecks.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
If the game goes that long you're probably a) topdecking and b) losing, given this is burn. And then your opponent has a chance to answer it. Running something that expensive also means you're looking at running a ton of lands. If you really like the card that's cool, but at 5 mana there are hasty beats available and at a curve that's firmly stapled to 2 or so you can get away with running very short on lands which improves your topdecks.

indeed. This was my first time playing against non-casual people with non casual cards. Definitely thinking of other options. I mean, I'm not excited that I lost but I'm glad to know that the people at my local shop are nice and I definitely want to go back and try something different next time. Probably play my Naya Blitz deck. That did much better in my side games.

I'm gonna play the deck a few more times and post it for critique. Thanks for the input though

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

If you like naya bliss you might try Boros Landfall once you/if you get fetches. It's similar but has a bit more early explosion instead of staying power, which allows for early enough kills to go 'under' combo and the like. But, welcome to the club in any case!
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
If you like naya bliss you might try Boros Landfall once you/if you get fetches. It's similar but has a bit more early explosion instead of staying power, which allows for early enough kills to go 'under' combo and the like. But, welcome to the club in any case!

link me a deck list please I'd really like to check it out.

Also, does anyone know what that mono white deck was? I know the description is kind of vague but I'd like to know if it's original or some kind of archetype I've never seen before. Saw some of the obvious stuff like Resto angel but he also used Aven Riftwatcher and these lands I've never seen before. He did something where you put a card under the land and then you can cast it without paying the mana cost. The Ghost Quarter/Leonin Aribiter combo was pretty neat too. I think that's why I didn't care that I lost. I've never seen anything like that deck and it was more interesting to play against than the URW Control deck (where I could feel the Remand coming every turn).

EDH decks I play:

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Sounds like a death and taxes variant or something. Maybe a brew. Modern doesn't have the best representation here, I'd check out Salvation.
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments