Cards that reference gatherer / charm charm

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you want a card that can turn into any card, you can make something like Diabolic Tutor or even Death Wish and the player just has to put the card they want to turn it into in their deck or sideboard. But what if the card they wanted to tutor for wasn't legal in the format? Or what if they wanted to be able to choose from more different possibilities than the space in the deck / sideboard would allow?

I'm opening up a can of design space & suggesting that you should be able to refer to any card in the game (and the opponent can look it up on gatherer if they have to).

Imaginary Friend - X
Planeswalker
You may have Imaginary Friend enter the battlefield as a copy of any Planeswalker card in the game of Magic with a converted mana cost of X or less.

Alara Charm Charm -
Instant
As you cast Alara Charm Charm, choose a card from the Shards of Alara set with the word 'Charm' in its English name. Add that card's effects to this spell, then change the text "Choose one" to "Choose one or more".

You could take this charm to the next level by making a card that lets you choose a set, then getting the effects of all the charms from that set.
Weirdly, I think those cards actually work within the current rules, since the rules allow reference to expansion symbol.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to choose cards not legal in the format.
Weirdly, I think those cards actually work within the current rules, since the rules allow reference to expansion symbol.

Outside of Un-sets? Really?

EDIT: Oh, you're just talking about City in a Bottle.
everyone's favorite hoser

I don't think they would make cards that require people to have knowledge about cards that aren't at least in their decks or somehow immediately at hand.

Imaginary friend is a lot of mana too