Restoration Angel Response Killing

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I'm sure I've seen an answer to this somewhere but I can't find it so here I am, situation is as follows.

My opponent has a Thragtusk in play and casts Restoration Angel, targetting Thragtusk.
Angel resolves and Thragtusk gets exiled.
In response to the exile effect, I cast Thunderbolt at the Angel, killing it.
Does the Thragtusk then remain permanently exiled or does it still come back into play?
Or is this order of play not legal and I'd need to wait for the full Angel ability to resolve?

Thanks
Ok, I'm sure I've seen an answer to this somewhere but I can't find it so here I am, situation is as follows.

My opponent has a Thragtusk in play and casts Restoration Angel, targetting Thragtusk.
Does the Thragtusk then remain permanently exiled or does it still come back into play?
Or is this order of play not legal and I'd need to wait for the full Angel ability to resolve?

Thanks

The exile and return all happens as part of a single ability, and you can't activate an ability while that is happening.  You need a card with two seperate abilities, such as Oblivion Ring if you want to exile the card permanently.

Also...

Your opponnent can't do that, the angel does not have a target. The "blink" effect is applied when the enter the battlefield triggered ability of the angel resolves. It is this ability that does the target.

Other than that, yes, the angel is not an oblivion ring. The blink happens right away or doesn't happen at all. Not that the ability won't blink the creature if you destroy the angel in response though.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

hold up tex
Angel resolves and enters the field which triggers its ability
Your opponent chooses a target for the trigger and the trigger goes to the stack.

the ability on the stack is independent from the Angel and the trigger exile and return is optional
so your opponent can either choose to not exile Thragtusk or let it be exiled and then returned (netting him 5 life and a 3/3 beast token)

no, it's legal
but Restoration Angel can never exile a creature permanently because its all one ability

it can happen with Fiend Hunter though because it has two separate abilities

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

So after the angel resolves and the controller puts the ability on the stack, the opponent can then put a spell to burn the angel on the stack, yes? 

If that's the last thing to go on the stack, the burn resolves first, killing the angel.  Then does the angel's ability still resolve, or does it go away with the angel dying?  Does the Thrag still blink?

So after the angel resolves and the controller puts the ability on the stack, the opponent can then put a spell to burn the angel on the stack, yes? 

If that's the last thing to go on the stack, the burn resolves first, killing the angel.  Then does the angel's ability still resolve, or does it go away with the angel dying?  Does the Thrag still blink?

Abilities exist independent of the source. The thragtusk will still 'blink'. Nothing to stop you killing the thragtusk in response though, so at least that doesn't come back.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.

yes

the ability will still resolve, the Thrag will still blink

proud member of the 2011 community team
Abilities on the stack are independent of their sources. No matter, what happens to the angel, its ability will resolve and blink the Thragtusk.
If your opponent casts and resolves Restoration Angel and targets Thragtusk with the blink ability, you could respond to that ability while it is on the stack by casting Searing Spear and targeting Thragtusk. If you did this, the Searing Spear would resolve first, killing Thragtusk before the Angel's ability resolves. You opponent would not gain 5 life or keep his creature; however, nothing currently legal in Standard can prevent him from netting the 3/3 Beast token.

This is one way you can "interrupt" the Angel's flicker ability. Killing her after she resolves won't change the fact that her ability is already on the stack, waiting to resolve.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
Thanks guys, all cleared up.
Sign In to post comments