Vampires in Forgotten Realms

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a quick question.

Are there vampires in the Forgotten Realms? And, if so, are they drastically different from, say, other D&D vampires?

Thanks!

-J. 
I have a quick question.

Are there vampires in the Forgotten Realms?

Yes there are. Plenty of them, in fact.

And, if so, are they drastically different from, say, other D&D vampires?

Nope, not really. Most FR vampires are your standard "prey on the weak, hunt in the shadows, pull strings to ensure their own survival, desecrate/destroy whatever they find anathema" sort you find in many other places. Some of them are loners wishing to preserve their own un-lives by staying one step ahead of whatever might pose a threat. Others belong to groups or organizations, like cults of evil gods or some such, and advance agendas on behalf of their masters.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Awesome! Thanks! Vampire pirates, ahoy!

-J.
If memory serves there was an article in the 2E days of Dragon Magazine dedicated to Vampires in the Realms!  Can't remember what that one was called (maybe it was just Vampires in Faerun?)  I think there was a 3.5 Adventure in Dungeon as well (Vampires of Waterdeep?)  I hope that helps.

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
fwiw:  suitable Vampirate bases could include:
- Snowdown (since the ruler is herself a vampire)
- Skullport
- Ulgar's Isle (Pirate Isle inhabited by the vampire Ulgar the Undying).
- A large, floating Earthmote (like Yaulazna): Sky Pirates
The Vampires of Waterdeep campaign arc was comprised of three linked adventures in Dungeon 126, 127 and 128.

As they're written by Eric L Boyd, you can assume that they are an Ed-approved view of how vampires operate in FR. Frankly, I think they provide a good model of how vampires work in pretty much any D&D setting.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
The Vampires of Waterdeep campaign arc was comprised of three linked adventures in Dungeon 126, 127 and 128.

As they're written by Eric L Boyd, you can assume that they are an Ed-approved view of how vampires operate in FR. Frankly, I think they provide a good model of how vampires work in pretty much any D&D setting.

Thanks for the tip! I too will be using a large vampire force in my LFR home game.

Spoilers:
For the Elturel invasion, I'm instead describing the undead and spellplague enemies as vampires and vampire-charmed individuals. This just fit better with the PC groups' choices and events. Any tips would be appreciated though.

If memory serves there was an article in the 2E days of Dragon Magazine dedicated to Vampires in the Realms!  Can't remember what that one was called (maybe it was just Vampires in Faerun?)  I think there was a 3.5 Adventure in Dungeon as well (Vampires of Waterdeep?)  I hope that helps.

The 2E article was Children of the Night by Paul Culotta (a prolific - and talented! - Dungeon contributor in the 2E era) in Dragon 236. Three vampires were given FR-specific write-ups and its own B&W illustration:

Morg - hill giant vampire shaman
Saestra - human vampire thief
Saed - human vampire psion

(snip) I too will be using a large vampire force in my LFR home game.

Spoilers:
For the Elturel invasion, I'm instead describing the undead and spellplague enemies as vampires and vampire-charmed individuals. This just fit better with the PC groups' choices and events. Any tips would be appreciated though.

I have always wanted to run a game where the Companion was not simply turned off but turned into a thing of night. In LFR terms, imagine recovering the shadow weave seed item from the ruins of Zhentil Keep and then using that as the focus of a ritual to turn the Companion into a thing of darkness so Elturel becomes a land of eternal night.

Wouldn't the vampires love that?

I have always wanted to run a game where the Companion was not simply turned off but turned into a thing of night... Wouldn't the vampires love that?

Exactly.
Show
Indeed, by LFR canon, this basically has happened in ELTU4-4 and ADCP5-1

The 2E article was Children of the Night by Paul Culotta (a prolific - and talented! - Dungeon contributor in the 2E era) in Dragon 236. Three vampires were given FR-specific write-ups and its own B&W illustration:

Morg - hill giant vampire shaman
Saestra - human vampire thief
Saed - human vampire psion

Yeah, that's the one!  Thanks!

An undead spectre occasionally returning to remind the fandom of its grim existence.

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
@mvincent: Yeah, I've been following the Elturgard storyline.

My plan for a few years was to have it turn green and then an aspect of Bane burst forth from it and take back the Zhentarim from Cyric. That's the elevator pitch - there was a bit more to it but that's the visual I had in mind. (Of course, I had a warring visual in mind where Cyricists would turn it into a giant unholy symbol of Cyric floating in the sky.)

On another note, I was also thinking how an Epic spell of that sort of power would make a wonderful "battery" for the Demon Weave of the drow so I was also considering a Rise of the Underdark-based storyline in the same location.

And, in 3.5E's closing days, I was planning to have a campaign where the gauntlets of Moander were used to transform it into a great big Shadow Weave-thing that would kill off the Weave for miles around (a la some ideas in the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch trilogy).

Sometimes I think I could simply keep running campaigns set in Elturgard involving the corruption of the companion for the rest of my DMing life.
In LFR terms, imagine recovering the shadow weave seed item from the ruins of Zhentil Keep and then using that as the focus of a ritual to turn the Companion into a thing of darkness

Thanks for the tip! The seed (from SPEC1-1&2) does indeed provide the perfect focus in my campaign!

In LFR terms, imagine recovering the shadow weave seed item from the ruins of Zhentil Keep and then using that as the focus of a ritual to turn the Companion into a thing of darkness

Thanks for the tip! The seed (from SPEC1-1&2) does indeed provide the perfect focus in my campaign!

Cool.

Glad I could help.  
Sign In to post comments