Rules on Domination

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi~

My character, a wizard, applied a domination power onto one of the monsters in our game. As I patiently waited for its' turn to apply the domination, the DM had another monster grab it and take it into another room. How does domination work without line of sight? 

~pepper 

browngsp@gmail.com

may name is George.  I am looking to join a group in Portland area.  I am an experienced player and DM.  I have been playing 4E D&D regulary since 2008. and other versions most of my life.  please email me if you need a new player.  thanks,  g

The same way it works all the time.

You may run into an issue with the DM not wanting to give you information about the room you're not in, but as per the 'targeting things you can't see' rules, all combatants have perfect information about where creatures are unless they are Hidden.  And even then, even if the DM wants to restrict the information (because you're not seeing through the dominated creature's eyes) then your DM is obligated to give you enough information, based on what the dominated creature can see, about the layout to let you reach a decision.  It's somewhat meta-game, but it's necessary to having the domination work the way it's supposed to work.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
This is the second time you've asked about dominating a creature that is in a location that you can't see.  Is your DM being jerky about it or something?  Bottom line:  you still get to dominate the creature, even in another room, because it does not require line or sight or line of effect unless the power you're using specifically says it does.

Maybe your DM needs to try to stop blocking you.  You're just dominating a creature.  Temporarily.  It's not a "win" button.  You can only use its at-will powers and can't spend the creature's non-renewable resources (like encounter powers or action points).

And as Mand said, if the DM doesn't want to reveal what's going on in another area, that's okay, but he needs to give you enough info so that you can still reasonably dominate the creature and make it do what you want it to do.  If he thinks he's being clever by attempting to remove the creature from play, that's not really fair to you and he should rethink his tactics and do something that allows you to have the fun you wanted to have when you took this power.  Not to mention that fact that he's actually removing two monsters from play by doing this, albeit temporarily.

I'll bet your DM is one of those guys who thinks it's funny to have phasing monsters go through walls and escape to other rooms so that the fight drags out forever too.  ;)      

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”