Allied Opportunity + Mark + CC?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Had a rules question come up:

Situation: 2 fighters, Fighter A, and Fighter B, both adjacent to BBEG.  Squishy A is also in reach of BBEG.

Figher A and B both have Allied Opportunity.

Fighter A has BBEG marked.

BBEG attacks Squishy A, triggering CC of Fighter A.  Fighter A makes CC attack, then allows Fighter B to make MBA as OA.  Fighter B makes his MBA, which marks BBEG and erases Fighter As mark.

So question:

Now, since the CC and OA were both interrupts, the BBEG is essentially marked by Fighter B before he makes the attack, which means now that he is making the attack (after getting smacked twice) would he now trigger Fighter Bs CC? 
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
No.

Triggers happen only once.  The creature was not marked by fighter B at the time he made the attack.  The attack is now resolving, yes, but the trigger event has already passed.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ok.  I thought it would be something along those lines, but the timing rules are not detailed so well, as far as I know.  Do you know if there is a rule you can cite that specifies how interrupts, which change the order of events, interact with triggers?
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Yes, the interrupt rules.  You have DDI, so it's available in Compendium.  The important part is to note that interrupts resolve before their triggers resolve, but they do not resolve before their triggers trigger.
Ok.  I would have gone either way on it, personally, even after reading the interrupt rules, but our group typically goes with whatever answers we get from the rules forums (unless there are supporters to both sides, then we decide on an answer ourselves).
Sig
Original CharOpper

Also, Fighter B should make his MBA before Fighter A since Opportunity Action also interrupt.

Does applying the mark with Fighter B's MBA invalidate its trigger, since the creature is no longer marked by Fighter A?
Good points, I didn't notice the little part about the allies attack triggering off the original CC attack.  I thought it came after the CC attack.

If it worked the other way I was thinking, Fighter A would make their CC attack, AO would let Fighter B make their MBA in response to the CC attack, which would then take the mark from B, which would invalidate the initial CC attack that started it all.

So it would have to work the way Mand has stated, because otherwise it would create a paradox in which the attacks would keep invalidating each other. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Does applying the mark with Fighter B's MBA invalidate its trigger, since the creature is no longer marked by Fighter A?

No. When Fighter B makes his MBA as an Opportunity Action, Fighter A's MBA hasn't resolve yet, but it has started to occur and thus already triggered.
But my question is this:  is a MBA granted by Combat Challenge dependent on the mark being in place when the MBA resolves in order to be valid?  That seems an open question, and not one that can be answered.

Take another hypothetical:  I attack the squishy, violating the mark.  I use an interrupt (somehow, don't nitpick me about immediate/opportunity on my turn, maybe it's a must-function-as-interrupt triggered free action) that removes the mark.  Does the MBA still happen?
I think unless the power specifically says it removes the mark so that you can't be attacked by them, then the attack still happens.  though it would depend on the trigger, etc.

A better power would trigger off getting marked in the first place, rather than waiting until the marker goes to enforce the mark.
Sig
Original CharOpper

But my question is this:  is a MBA granted by Combat Challenge dependent on the mark being in place when the MBA resolves in order to be valid?  That seems an open question, and not one that can be answered.

Take another hypothetical:  I attack the squishy, violating the mark.  I use an interrupt (somehow, don't nitpick me about immediate/opportunity on my turn, maybe it's a must-function-as-interrupt triggered free action) that removes the mark.  Does the MBA still happen?

Yes it does. Its similar to an Immobilizing MBA on an OA. If the target can't finally leave its square did it provoked an OA ? Yes, because it started to leave its space but never resolved the move. Similarly, the MBA still happen if the mark is removed as an interrupt to triggering it because the MBA has started to occur and is interruped before it resolved, but still has been triggered.

In the OPs exemple, the BBEG's attack has started to occur  but hasn't resolved yet when it trigger Fighter A CC's MBA and Fighter A CC's MBA has started to occur but hasn't resolved yet when Fighter's B MBA takes place.
So does the -2 penalty from being marked apply?
No, since when you resolve the attack you aren't marked anymore. When an attack is made and midway through the attack process some bonuses or penalties are applied, when it resolve it must account for them (ex. Disruptive Strike).

Sign In to post comments