D&D Next Playtest Packet Update (4/1/2013)

I'm  going to be blunt. I'm still waiting for a good pre-made adventure for DDN from WotC. This sure isn't it.
I'm  going to be blunt. I'm still waiting for a good pre-made adventure for DDN from WotC. This sure isn't it.

Probably won't see any until the Sundering Adventures... they likely don't have the resources to do this as they are concentrating on other things.

www.amazon.ca/Murder-Baldurs-Gate-Sunder...

www.amazon.com/Murder-Baldurs-Gate-Sunde...

My guess is those adventures are going to be edition neutral but contain some mechanics for D&DN and 4E.
While its not suited for everyone, I thought it was a well made tournament adventure for its genre (location based deadly dungeon crawl) and quite funny read as well  : )

I also found cool to get art in playtest adventure for a change, even if it was cartoonish. It meshes well with the theme and humorus feel IMO. One of the author draw cartoon afterall...

I also thought it introduced cool new monsters such as the Deathstalker, Iron Golem, Giant Bat, Piercer, Crypt Thing and Purple Worm. 

Personally, im quite happy that WoTC and PvP agreed to hand it out to us as most convention material is not up for distribution. 

The D&D Next Playtest Packet was updated to include the Mines of Madness adventure.

www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx 

Thanks for posting. I was going to get this yesterday and after getting busy, completely forgot about it.

You may want to check the URL. The embedded address has a space at the end of it, so when you click on the link in your post, it just goes to a "page cannot be displayed" page. It took me a minute to figure it out since the actual link syntax is correct, it's just the extra space at the end Smile
The D&D Next Playtest Packet was updated to include the Mines of Madness adventure.

www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx 

Thanks for posting. I was going to get this yesterday and after getting busy, completely forgot about it.

You may want to check the URL. The embedded address has a space at the end of it, so when you click on the link in your post, it just goes to a "page cannot be displayed" page. It took me a minute to figure it out since the actual link syntax is correct, it's just the extra space at the end

You're welcome alienux!  Thanks for letting me know about the link error i just fixed it  : )

I noticed that the map in this adventure by Scott and Chris has the following in the legend:

1 square = 10 feet

Is this an indication of what map/grid scale is going to be in Next, or maybe just a number they settled on for this particular adventure?
The grid is unneded, so they just use whatever scale works for the map.

1 square = 10 feet

This may be a nod to old school adventures that used this convention.  Next seems to bring out a bit of nostalgia in some gamers for the 'classics'.
I noticed that the map in this adventure by Scott and Chris has the following in the legend:

1 square = 10 feet

Is this an indication of what map/grid scale is going to be in Next, or maybe just a number they settled on for this particular adventure?

That  means 1 square on the map =  four 5' squares on your battle grid.

1 square = 10 feet

This may be a nod to old school adventures that used this convention.  Next seems to bring out a bit of nostalgia in some gamers for the 'classics'.

You know? I think it really has. My group has been using nex to look at old(er?) adventures.  Not trying to hyjack this thread, but I have been really looking at it with my old(er) school glasses. I'm not from OD&D, but 2e. I am, however, currently converting old adventures using the Next rules sets. I am, at this moment, making maps for The Tomb of Horrors. That brings me back to the thread. It has 1sq = 10 feet. Everything in that dungeon is huge.

1 square = 10 feet

That  means 1 square on the map =  four 5' squares on your battle grid.

Yes, I realize that. I was speculating on whether or not that may be an indication on what the official measurement for Next would be.
10' map squares is probably a way of increasing compatibility between Next and older modules and supplements. A big part of why Next seems to cleave closer to pre-4E mechanics may be a marketing desire to re-sell the back catalogue.
10' map squares is probably a way of increasing compatibility between Next and older modules and supplements. A big part of why Next seems to cleave closer to pre-4E mechanics may be a marketing desire to re-sell the back catalogue.

10' map square is just the scale of the map.  I really don't see how that has anything to do with catering to pre-4e edition players.   In fact,  many 2e modules are detailed in 5' squares. 

1 square = 10 feet

You know? I think it really has. My group has been using nex to look at old(er?) adventures.  Not trying to hyjack this thread, but I have been really looking at it with my old(er) school glasses. I'm not from OD&D, but 2e. I am, however, currently converting old adventures using the Next rules sets. I am, at this moment, making maps for The Tomb of Horrors. That brings me back to the thread. It has 1sq = 10 feet. Everything in that dungeon is huge.

I'm kind of in the same boat; I started with the 1983 Red Box, and then didn't play much again until 2E. I've found a few good conversions of older adventures, and I did one myself (that I posted here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... )

and them re-releasing the old back catologue in digital format didn't give you that clue long ago?

I'm already planning on buying some older more famous modules because I've been shown how easy it is to convert the content to 5e. 

literally its an excellent business plan...no new production cost...still making decent money off of it.

to note I'm fairly sure D&D is no longer a core brand of hasbro, as such I think they are being forced to use everything at their disposal to make their own money with the things they already have.
Sign In to post comments