Guttersnipe damage ability

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a quick question about Guttersnipe activated ability. When paired with spells like Increasing Vengeance and Reverberate will the copies of the spells you target cause the 2 dmg from Guttersnipe, as long as it is a copy of an instant or sorcery as well?
Nope.  When you make a copy of a spell, that spell is created directly on the stack.  It was never cast, so it will not trigger anything that looks for spells being cast.  Increasing Vengeance and Reverberate themselves are cast, and those will trigger Guttersnipe's triggered ability, but the spell(s) they copy will not.

Incidentally, the Gatherer rulings for Increasing Vengeance and Reverberate both cover this:

When Increasing Vengeance resolves, it creates one or two copies of a spell. You control each of the copies. Those copies are created on the stack, so they're not "cast." Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell won't trigger. The copies will then resolve like normal spells, after players get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities.

When Reverberate resolves, it creates a copy of a spell. You control the copy. That copy is created on the stack, so it's not "cast." Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell won't trigger. The copy will then resolve like a normal spell, after players get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities.

And, for further clarification, the relevant Comprehensive Rules excerpt:

706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell
isn’t cast and a copy of an activated ability isn’t activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both
the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the
value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 601, "Casting Spells.") Choices that are
normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its
costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is
owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is
controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a
spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.

Awesome! thanks for the assistance
Just a quick question about Guttersnipe activated ability.

Guttersnipe doesnt have an activated ability (those are written "[cost]:[effect]"), it has a triggered ability (those use "when/whenever/at").

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Just a quick question about Guttersnipe activated ability. When paired with spells like Increasing Vengeance and Reverberate will the copies of the spells you target cause the 2 dmg from Guttersnipe, as long as it is a copy of an instant or sorcery as well?

I just wanted to clarify. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

When you cast Reverberate in response to an opponents spell, Guttersnipe's ability will be triggered and deal 2 damage to opponents. It will not be triggered an additionaly time when the spell is actually copied.
Correct. Reverberate will trigger Guttersnipe, but the copied spell will not.
Sign In to post comments