sacrificing creatures in response...

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was under the belief that if a creature had taken lethal damage that you couldnt sac it.
But I think this was before the stack thing came into being so now Im not sure what to think.

So if someone fireballs my blue 5/5  5CMC creature can I, in response, sac that creature with a Homarid Spawning Bed and get the 5 1/1 creature tokens?

Thanks in advance.
you cannot sacrifice a creature in response to being destroyed, but you can sacrifice it in response to whatever does the destroying

so your scenario works fine
proud member of the 2011 community team
you cannot sacrifice a creature in response to being destroyed, but you can sacrifice it in response to whatever does the destroying

so your scenario works fine

So if someone plays Armageddon I could use the spawning bed ability in response while the armageddon is still on the stack?
proud member of the 2011 community team
Correct.  The topmost object on the stack does not resolve until all players pass priority in succession.  So, after a player casts Armageddon, you'll certainly have a chance to activate Homarid Spawning Bed's ability before the Armageddon resolves.
Armageddon

sure

sorry...wrath of God....Im half dead with sleep deprivation
The same answer applies, for the same reason.  An object on the stack only resolves if it's the topmost object on the stack, and all players have passed priority in succession.

A spell would have to have split second (Krosan Grip, Wipe Away) to prevent you from casting spells or activating abilities in response to it.  And even then, that only applies while the spell with split second remains on the stack -- once it has resolved, you can respond as normal once again (spells with split second don't "lock down" the stack, as some people have been prone to thinking).
cool.
thanks guys.
helpful as always :-)
can I attack with my goblins and sacrifice the blocked ones to my goblin warren ?
Yes. They won't deal combat damage, though (and the new tokens won't be attacking).

From 6E to just before M10 came out, it would have been possible to do this and have those goblins deal combat damage, but this is no longer the case.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
So if someone fireballs my blue 5/5  5CMC creature can I, in response, sac that creature with a Homarid Spawning Bed and get the 5 1/1 creature tokens?

The Fireball doesnt do anything until it resolves, and it cannot resolve until you pass priority (i.e. choose not to respond). If it dealt it's damage as soon as it was cast you would never get to Counter it.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Armageddon

sure

The Wrath of God would still destroy the tokens (and everything else), since the tokens are created before Wrath of God resolves
Armageddon

sure

Well....  YOu can but it won't help.

He casts WoG, and while it is on the stack you activate the Spawning Bed ability and that goes on the 'top' of the stack.
The SBed resolves and puts down X 1/1 creatures.
Then WoG resolves and destroyes all creatures (Including the 1/1's)

If, instead, he cast doom blade at your creature, then you could sac it in response. You would get the X 1/1's and the Doom Blade would not have any legal targets and fizzle.
Armageddon

sure

Well....  YOu can but it won't help.

He casts WoG, and while it is on the stack you activate the Spawning Bed ability and that goes on the 'top' of the stack.
The SBed resolves and puts down X 1/1 creatures.
Then WoG resolves and destroyes all creatures (Including the 1/1's)

If, instead, he cast doom blade at your creature, then you could sac it in response. You would get the X 1/1's and the Doom Blade would not have any legal targets and fizzle.

ah, I see.
So it wont work with mass removal.

Im trying to understand how the mechanics will work so I wont need to be in here asking another hundred questions .

I started Magic the month Fallen Empires came out and I remember having a stack of the Homarid Spawning Bed cards and wondering what in the hell use they could ever possibly be good for.
Actually seems to be one of the few decent cards in that set.
Yup, not a bad card, and by Fallen Empires standards, downright great.

Similar concepts are still in use today... see Korodza Guildmage for something similar (a permanent with an activated ability that allows you to sacrifice a big creature for a whole bunch of little creatures).

Wow, 2 questions from Fallen Empires? In the same thread?

Crazy!
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)