Duel Decks: Heroes VS Monsters

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
Link to the article here

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Use this topic to discuss hopes and dreams that you expect from this newly announced duel deck.

As we all love doing here in FSS ^_^

Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I WISH DUEL DECKS HAD NEW CARDS.  

Oh well.  Whatever.  This might be cool.  Or not.  We'll see.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Sounds strangely close to Knights vs Dragons ...
I expect a disproportionate amount of Legendary Creatures on both sides.
I expect a disproportionate amount of Legendary Creatures on both sides.

I hope so!  That would make this ten times better than expected.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
We can expect Intrepid Hero, of course.

For the monsters side, I think we might see classic monster archetypes.
We can expect Intrepid Hero, of course.

For the monsters side, I think we might see classic monster archetypes.

Delver of Secrets!
so... Innistrad the duel deck? Jkin.

Anyway sounds cool, and yeah sounds like alot of legends. They dont print new cards in these right? Wonder who would be the face of each deck...
the faces might be from theros, since there will be 6 cards from there...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I hope the returning mechanic is level up!
so... Innistrad the duel deck? Jkin.

Anyway sounds cool, and yeah sounds like alot of legends. They dont print new cards in these right? Wonder who would be the face of each deck...

According to the announcement this will feature 6 pre-print cards from Theros, so I'd put decent money on at least one of the pre-prints being the face of a deck as it was with Izzet vs. Golgari.

Of course the "faces" will be from Theros. That's the whole point of having the Faction vs Faction duel decks to the month before the new block, to preview and promote the block's theme.

[<o>]
to be fair, you can do that using only old cards... and it doesnt neccessarily mean theyll be the face cards, just a couple good ones to whet our appetite

Presumably each side gets three and at least one of those three each will show off a new mechanic.

Seeing as Theros is likely the inspiration for this Deul Decks and Theros happens to be Greek-themed, I'm guessing the Monsters side uses creatures like Cyclopes, Minotaurs, and Hydras, the kinds of Monsters that Mythic Heroes would battle. Meanwhile Heroes will probably use mostly Human Soldiers and Warriors, maybe some Knights.

Meanwhile Heroes will probably use mostly Human Soldiers and Warriors, maybe some Knights.

And a goblin.
Might be the first duel deck I buy. Seems like great edh fodder. Just my prediction anyway.
karakas is too much to ask. but i might anyway.

please o great and powerful maro, please see fit to bequeath to us the legendary land of karakas so that you may once again separate us from our money, for the glory and beterment of our favoite diversion, the divine magic.

Well we need more gerrard like we need a hole in the head.

Seriously, though, now would be a good time to introduce four colour legends.   

Im not much for Duel Decks but the fact that it will contain 6 cards from Theros is intriguing.
Day of Destiny? I'm still really hoping for Level-up, with the last level being a Legendary Creature.
Day of Destiny? I'm still really hoping for Level-up, with the last level being a Legendary Creature.

Wouldn't be very different from flip cards, then. And it would have way too much text in a small area.
Oh man, I was thinking today about the next two Duel Decks and how the faction one would relate to Theros.  My first thought, was "Humans vs. Monsters."  I was going to post my little speculation thread now, but...yeah.

So I'm thinking humans and benevolent non-humans against all manner of monsters, perhaps those closely associated with Greek myth?  There are so many cool cards that could help the theme really shine.  Stuff like Gorgon Flail, Honor of the Pure, Siren's Call, Jolrael's Centaur  etc. The list goes on.

Of course the "faces" will be from Theros. That's the whole point of having the Faction vs Faction duel decks to the month before the new block, to preview and promote the block's theme.

You say it like it's a foregone conclusion.  Izzet vs. Golgari has been the only one do do this so far, and even then it was only one of the "faces."  I just hope the Monsters face isn't Xathrid Gorgon.  In fact, I hope she isn't there at all, taking up a rare slot for some thing potentially cooler.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Oh man, I was thinking today about the next two Duel Decks and how the faction one would relate to Theros.  My first thought, was "Humans vs. Monsters."  I was going to post my little speculation thread now, but...yeah.

So I'm thinking humans and benevolent non-humans against all manner of monsters, perhaps those closely associated with Greek myth?  There are so many cool cards that could help the theme really shine.  Stuff like Gorgon Flail, Honor of the Pure, Siren's Call, Jolrael's Centaur  etc. The list goes on.

You say it like it's a foregone conclusion.  Izzet vs. Golgari has been the only one do do this so far, and even then it was only one of the "faces."  I just hope the Monsters face isn't Xathrid Gorgon.  In fact, I hope she isn't there at all, taking up a rare slot for some thing potentially cooler.

They changed the duel decks schedule to have Faction vs Faction right before the new block. This change's whole point is to showcase some conflict or theme from the new block on the decks. So yes, it seems pretty conclusive to me. This Duel Decks will showcase two Theros-related cards (most likely two legendary creatures) as the "foil mythic main cards", it is pretty much a foregone conclusion. 

OBS: Xathrid is from Shandalar.

[<o>]
Cool. We'll have to wait forever to get an idea about it though. Speculation this soon will be too soon!
[snip]

If that were true, the Izzet vs. Golgari deck would have included Niv-Mizzet's second incarnation, but it did not.  Further, while it may serve as a precursor to Theros, that doesn't mean they have to be so inflexible as to exclude things that mention other locales, i.e. Xathrid Gorgon.  It doesn't have to be creatures/characters that could only exist on Theros.

Of course, the two face cards may very well be Theros previews.  I just don't think it's guaranteed.

[snip]

If that were true, the Izzet vs. Golgari deck would have included Niv-Mizzet's second incarnation, but it did not.

If this were a Return to Theros, then I'd say there's a chance of some old card getting that slot. It's not the case.

It's a brand new plane, so of course the main "hero" and main "monster" from the decks can't possibly be someone we already know (as this is not a planeswalker DD), like Mr. Mizzet was.

Further, while it may serve as a precursor to Theros, that doesn't mean they have to be so inflexible as to exclude things that mention other locales, i.e. Xathrid Gorgon.  It doesn't have to be creatures/characters that could only exist on Theros.

Of course, after all we have only 6 cards from Theros.

Xathrid Gorgon may show up as a normal rare, but will not be the main, foil card of the "monsters" deck. That slot will be a relevant rare/mythic from the new block.

Of course, the two face cards may very well be Theros previews.  I just don't think it's guaranteed.

I do think it is, and it's pretty obvious that will be the case.

[<o>]
If that were true, the Izzet vs. Golgari deck would have included Niv-Mizzet's second incarnation, but it did not. 

Ehhh, that kind of has nothing to do with it.  Izzet vs Golgari was very much a preview of RTR.  Both involved guilds were from RTR, Niv-Mizzet's new card doesn't represent any sort of growth since we last saw him.  It was just a different take on the same character.  Using the old Niv-Mizzet also made more sense because it effected the secondary market (old Niv was fairly expensive), while also allowing WotC to use that preview space for other cards, like Street Spasm or Izzet Charm.  It was also a chase card to help sell the product (WotC knew what the meta would look like and new the new Niv wouldn't be very expensive or hard to get).  If they had done the opposite, and included the new Niv and the old Golgari guild leader, then it wouldn't have represented the current state on Ravnica.  It also made Jarad a high-level preview card to help boost interest in RTR (which it did.  RTR block has sold better than any block before it).  It in no way wasn't a preview for RTR.

WotC has recently explained that there will be a DD right before rotation to showcase the new block, and another late Winter/early Spring to showcase the block that's about to rotate.  I guarantee you that 2014's first DD will be RTR related, while its second will be a preview for "Huey" block.  It's a logical business move that WotC has shifted into, and until it becomes stale, there's no reason to change their policy on it.

Am I the only one who's kinda sick of humans? I really hope they are not centric in Theros, humans are boring.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Considering Heroes are often represented as champions of mankind, we can fully expect Humans in Theros. That art depicts a very humanoid being, and I don't see the point of portraying humanoid gods unless there are humans fashioned in their image. But I'm also expecting other tribes such as Dryads and Minotaurs to play a role.

Ehhh, that kind of has nothing to do with it.  Izzet vs Golgari was very much a preview of RTR.  Both involved guilds were from RTR, Niv-Mizzet's new card doesn't represent any sort of growth since we last saw him.  It was just a different take on the same character.  Using the old Niv-Mizzet also made more sense because it effected the secondary market (old Niv was fairly expensive), while also allowing WotC to use that preview space for other cards, like Street Spasm or Izzet Charm.  It was also a chase card to help sell the product (WotC knew what the meta would look like and new the new Niv wouldn't be very expensive or hard to get).  If they had done the opposite, and included the new Niv and the old Golgari guild leader, then it wouldn't have represented the current state on Ravnica.  It also made Jarad a high-level preview card to help boost interest in RTR (which it did.  RTR block has sold better than any block before it).  It in no way wasn't a preview for RTR.

WotC has recently explained that there will be a DD right before rotation to showcase the new block, and another late Winter/early Spring to showcase the block that's about to rotate.  I guarantee you that 2014's first DD will be RTR related, while its second will be a preview for "Huey" block.  It's a logical business move that WotC has shifted into, and until it becomes stale, there's no reason to change their policy on it.

What about that one sentence made you think that I didn't understand or already knew everything you just went on about?  Just because the faction Duel Deck also acts as a preview for the forthcoming block does not guarantee that the face cards will both be from Theros.  That's really all I'm saying, but people keep getting up in arms about it.  And doaj, you responded to an argument that no one was making. 

Am I the only one who's kinda sick of humans? I really hope they are not centric in Theros, humans are boring.

I like Humans, but yes, we just had Humans in Innistrad. Is there a chance WotC creates a new subtype for this set?

Thinking of Hercules being a half-Human, half-God, is there room for a Demigod Subtype?

They don't do characters from real world myths.

They might have demigod characters inspired by those of Greek lore, but there will not be 1:1 parallels with folks like Herakles (Hercules is the Roman spelling). 
They did some real world myths in Arabian Nights, maybe they will again
I'm thinking this will be along the lines of the Disney movie Hercules.  Heroes fight big Mythical monsters, like Hydras and Minotaurs.
I'm thinking this will be along the lines of the Disney movie Hercules.  Heroes fight big Mythical monsters, like Hydras and Minotaurs.

Will there be sassy black women singing in acid-trip sequences?
muses 4URW
enchantment

say "mhmm" in a sassy tone: target creature gets +3/+3

They did some real world myths in Arabian Nights, maybe they will again

No chance in Tartarus they will do such a thing again. No.

[<o>]

Will there be sassy black women singing in acid-trip sequences?

We can only hope.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I assume Benalish Hero is too much to ask for?
I assume Benalish Hero is too much to ask for?

You know it. The only card that beats it is Storm Crow and you know they wont reprint that!
Maybe the mythic wil be good ole EMMY!
MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!!!!!!!!